IGNORED

COS D10 all-in-one DAC

I have been on the look out for a new DAC for sometime, but so far the new COS engineering D10 DAC seems a potential candidate.
I only listen to digital sources and prefer all-in-one DACs with proper volume control. I don't have a preamp and prefer to go DAC direct to my active speakers.

This DAC also has streaming and phone boards as additional options.
I hope to read some reviews and user experiences before making a commitment. Any contributions will be welcomed.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

Thanks for the input Andrew.
I have never heard a COS DAC before. 
No problem with 1 sec buffer delay. As you say it can be be easily switched off when watching videos/movies.

What DACs have you had/heard before and how does COS sound differ? Any particular highlights/strengths?

• 3 weeks later...

@andrewinukm,

Thanks for further input.

For me, the problem with Tambaqui and similar DACs is that they don't have a pre-amp built-in. I only listen to digital sources but I want a DAC that provides all in one box solution such as Lindemann I have now and COS D10. COS D10 is modular too, you can even add a phono later if you want.

I have an active speaker system and prefer to keep it simple by just going DAC direct to my actives. Having a good analog volume plus analog inputs also gives COS D10 advantage.
In fact, recently I even started considering upgrading my Lindemann Musicbook DSD 20 to their new Musicbook Source, the same functionality as my existing DAC but with improved streaming and SQ.

5 hours ago, barrows said:

The Mola Mola solution for you would then be the Makua preamp, with the same DAC as the Tambaqui internally.  It can also include a very, very good phono preamp onboard, and of course includes inputs for additional sources.

I never liked the idea of having a separate preamp in the chain. I believe in less is more and in my experience, a DAC with a good volume control/preamp connected directly to amp gives better results. 
Thanks for your input.

Sorry my bad, I didn't realise Makua was a one box solution and DAC was a module. But then again I want it the way other way around i.e a DAC with a pre/ or a very good analog volume control with preferably one analog input (not absolutely essential but would be nice to have for multichannel home cinema setup). Whereas, Makua is a fully pledged preamp first then you can add a DAC module plus others.
I haven't crossed off Tambaqui yet and I am in no rush. Will decide between Tambaqui, COS D10 and an upgrade to Musicbook Source unless something else comes along.

Thanks and happy listening.

2 hours ago, barrows said:

The above is not really making much sense to me.  It is only semantics, but perhaps you do not understand fully the architecture of these products:

Tamabaqui DAC looks like this:

Input receiver with digital inputs-DAC section with digital volume control-discrete analog output stage to drive the output.

Makua preamp with DAC module looks like this:

Input switching for analog inputs and digital receiver section-DAC stage-variable gain discrete analog output stage to drive the output.

The Makua preamp is as simple as it gets, with just a single analog output stage, which uses variable gain (like Ayre) to control the volume.  The only real addition in comparison to the Tambaqui stand alone DAC is that of analog inputs with the ability to switch between them, and the best possible analog way to control the volume, which is necessary if one wants to have an analog input.  It does not get any more simple than this.  Whether one calls it a DAC with analog inputs, or a preamp with a DAC onboard and digital inputs, it is the same thing. 

I really thank you for your effort to explain things in detail.
What makes you think I don't understand anything about the architecture of either Tambaqui or Makua?
I already accepted that  it was my mistake not realising Makua is a fully pledged preamp with an optional DAC board. So, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Makua other than it is a proper preamp with all the preamp functions with enough analog inputs etc. I only listen to digital so I don't really need a fully functioning preamp with lots of inputs including phono, it's more than I need. That's why I dismissed this option, no point in paying all that extra money.
Whereas, Tambaqui seems like an excellent DAC but it lacks an analog volume, no matter how good the digital volume is, I prefer analog volume. I also would like a single analog input, in case I would use the DAC in a home cinema setup.
So, there are plenty of one box solutions to satisfy my needs, I am just making sure I decide on the best possible option.
BTW, my Lindemann DAC is very good and  seems to be a good match with my ATC active system too, hence also considering the upgrade path to Lindemann Source, which makes sense, as upgrade only costs around 1,490 euros.
Perhaps, Marcus of Perfect Sense would share his thoughts about Lindemann Source as to what he makes of it.

Thank you for your input and thoughts.

8 hours ago, barrows said:

@mevdinc: I still do not understand why you think the Makua, with the DAC option is "more than I need".  The phono stage is optional, you are not obliged to add it.  It appears that you would like a DAC with an analog volume control and an analog input, that is exactly what the Makua preamp, with the DAC option added is.  Yes, it has a few more analog inputs, but those do not add any additional circuitry except for the switches used to select them, it does not add anything to the circuit in use, there are no additional gain stages or anything, vs. a stand alone DAC like the Tambaqui.  It is a simple and basic component from a signal perspective, and uses, arguably, the very best analog volume control approach: adjustable gain, which does not throw any of the signal away, unlike resistive volume controls which add noise and distortion in the signal path.

My system is digital only, so I use a Bricasti M3 DAC with its analog volume control, but I would rather own the Tambaqui, but it is a bit more money than I care to spend on a DAC, otherwise it sounds fantastic-although I have no fear of digital volume controls when well implemented, and I trust that Mr. Putzeys has designed a very, very good implementation.

@barrows,
Mr. Putzeys is a great engineer and a designer and both Makua and Tambaqui are excellent products. Makua being a fully pledged preamp with all the additional inputs and modular design also has a price tag to go with it, at around £8,000. And that's without a DAC board, which is around £6,000 in addition, that's £14,000! Now you should be able to see what I mean by 'it is more than I need'. Tambaqui is around £9,000 which makes it a better value, hence why I am considering it, but unfortunately it lacks analog input, which is I would also like to have.
So, I have nothing against the Mola Mola units, they are much more expensive and don't quit match my needs.

That's why I am considering alternative DACs with great sound quality at reasonable prices that offer analog volume, streaming and one analog input. I would like to read more reviews about COS D10 to see if it actually sounds as good as I expect.

DS 10 costs around 5,400 euros with the streaming module included, which makes it an excellent value. And upgrading to Lindemann Source would only cost me 1,500 euros.
And there are quite a few others too. Looking at all the options, reading about them and obtaining input from experienced users such as yourself is part of the fun. Thanks again.

Best.

7 hours ago, matthias said:

These cost considerations do not make any sense in the context of your 65k GBP ATC speaker system.

The ATCs show you exactly the quality of the upstream components and you will get a great reward when you invest in source components. 

A system with a better source can easily outperform another system with better speakers.

Matt

I knew the cost of my ATCs will come up in the discussion eventually, and thank you for raising it, Matt. :)

You are absolutely right about my system deserving the best matching source to give me the best sound quality possible. In fact, I am still waiting to decide on a DAC that I can purchase and forget for a long time, as I did with the ATC active speakers since 1998 and finally deciding on their top model EL 150As. I have been using them since 2010 with great enjoyment.

So, I am also looking for a DAC that I can decide to buy and use for a very long time. Of course, it has to be modular and upgradeable so that I can take advantage of any new developments.
In fact, I even got my EL150As upgraded to the new ATC tweeters; it's all ATC drivers now and it does make a difference.
So, for now I am just trying out different DACs every 2-3 years without spending too much before deciding on a long term DAC.

44 minutes ago, matthias said:

I also suggest the new Rockna Wavelight DAC.

It is a R2R FPGA DAC which gets updates from time to time, it has one analog input with variable gain and it has an analog volume control to drive perfectly your ATCs. The price should be much less than 5k GBPs.

There is a new review by Joel Chevassus from audiophile-magazine.com. According to him the SQ is not far from the Tambaqui and superior to the Terminator.

Matt

Thank Matt.
I will definitely check it out, sounds very promising.

21 hours ago, Perfect sense said:

The Rockna Wavelight DAC is wonderful and what I believe to be a bargain at the price point. It's very different from the Mola Mola offerings though in terms of sound characteristics.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

BTW, will you you be stocking COS D10 at all?
It would be great to see how it fairs with all the DACs you have and hear your own personal comments too.

5 hours ago, Perfect sense said:

COS is already a permanent part of our portfolio and offering here within this segment. The D10 is a very impressive, versatile and flexible unit. As for the sound quality and characteristics, I need some more time to get a clear sense of everything. 

That's great. Look forward to hearing more from you.

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2020 at 7:09 PM, Perfect sense said:

COS is already a permanent part of our portfolio and offering here within this segment. The D10 is a very impressive, versatile and flexible unit. As for the sound quality and characteristics, I need some more time to get a clear sense of everything. 

Do you have any comments/thoughts to share on COS D10? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Perfect sense said:

These products are very different and not really comparable but also double the price compared to the COS D10.

Chord DAVE is primarily a DAC with headphone output where Mola Mola Tambaqui is primarily a DAC with streaming and headphone output. COS D10 is a preamp (with analogue inputs) with DAC + streamer and RIAA option at half the price.

Marcus,
I am still waiting for your impressions and comments on the sound quality of D10. :)