IGNORED

HDCD cd's

• 3 months later...
Just now, Temporal_Dissident said:

Sorry to be dense, but I understand the first part (ripping), but not the second. What constitutes "HDCD hardware....that can decode the bit-perfect rip"?

HDCD was invented by Pacific Microsonics and required a chip to decode properly. Berkeley Audio Design DACs can decode HDCD but not much else can these days. Not a real big deal because almost noting is encoded as HDCD anymore. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just now, Temporal_Dissident said:

OK, but are talking about a DAC decoding the HDCD spinning in a CD transport? Or a DAC decoding the bit-perfect rip, stored on a drive? If the latter, I guess I am surprised that ripping to .wav would not "get around" the need for a special DAC.

Ripping the disc to any lossless format such as WAV, FLAC, AIFF, etc...

The special DAC part is because something needs to decode the encoded part. Ripping bit perfectly, just rips the encoded data. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, Temporal_Dissident said:

Gotcha. OK, last question. What if we forget ripping for a moment and just play our HDCD like a Neanderthal? Will any CD player be able to decode the full information? What about a CD transport > dCS Bartok? As a previous poster noted, there is a lot of Grateful Dead in HDCD. I have a stack of 'em. 

You can only play the regular CD content of the HDCD without an HDCD DAC. 

The big thing about the HDCD releases is that they were created using a Pacific Microsonics Model 1 or Model 2 ADC. Those are magical. You will get most of the goodness just because of that. 

Just now, ArveS said:

1) If the cd player or dvdrw disc/software are not equipped with hdcd detection/encoding then, a hdcd cd should still play back like a normal cd. Is this correct?

Correct

Just now, ArveS said:

2) If the hdcd  cd is recognized as such the rip software will display or log this information. (this does not occur)

Depends on the ripping software. 

Just now, ArveS said:

This gives me the impression that a distorted output should not occur under any circumstances.

Correct. I'm a huge fan of HDCD and have never experienced this issue. 

Just now, ArveS said:

Why then is it only hdcd cd's that sounds distorted when played back on my laptop ?( but still play smoothless in my cd player in my stereo )  :) 

Very good question.