IGNORED

Where in my sound chain to put the DSP box?

992Sam

Sure... You may not like what you hear though

Ideally, you don’t want to have to go through the Accuphase ADC/DAC. So if your only source is the SACD player, I would put SACD player via S/PDIF into Accuphase digital S/PDIF with digital output S/PDIF into Rossini.

I don’t know dCS Rossini enough to know whether you can use it to stream and output S/PDIF into Accuphase and then have Accuphase input back into Rossini.

If you can’t do this, to me, it really doesn’t matter whether you put Accuphase between Rossini and pre-amp vs between pre-amp and amp since you’re now going analog in and out of Accuphase so you’ll be using Accuphase’s ADC and DAC.

14 minutes ago, 992Sam said:

if that's the case, am I better off then just putting the DG68 (DSP) between the pre-amp and the amp and keep the rest of my system the way it original was?

Okay. I really should have given this more thought from your point of view rather than my point of view.

I’m always more interested in digital correction than analog correction.

There is actually a difference between putting the DG68 between the Rossini and pre-amp vs the pre-amp and amp. The difference is output voltage. The output voltage from the Rossini I presume is constant whereas the pre-amp would vary. And ideally, you want to give the DG68 the best signal-to-noise ratio to work with. So I think your best bet actually is to put the DG68 between Rossini and pre-amp. And then depending on the Rossini’s fixed output voltage, you should set the DG68 to the appropriate gain level to ensure you don’t clip the DG68. Sometimes, it’s even better to set the Rossini to a variable volume output but dial it in to co-incident with the sensitivity of the DG68 so that you get the optimal SNR. But that’s probably overkill

You know, for the price of the Accuphase, I would expect my dealer to set it up for me (except for the pandemic). That said, maybe the deal you made with the dealer is that you get a huge discount but you have to set it up yourself. Which I guess is a fair trade?

Looks like a good setup to me. Although I don’t know why you would send S/PDIF from DG68 back to Rossini. Are you trying to have your cake and eat it too? You want SACD playback for be digitally corrected by DG68 but go through Rossini? And then bypass DG68. But then for Rossini streaming you have to go analog? The DG68 is a DAC like Rossini too so I’m sure you get sound just by feeding your SACD into the DG68. 

my suggestion is optimize your setup by hooking the DG68 between the Rossini and preamp first, using your current setup. And then worry about trying directly hooking up the sacd player to DG68 later. 

10 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Was very close to pulling the trigger on a DG-58/68, but then Covid came along....

But if you’re already running Roon, why not hire Mitch Barrett to create a convolution filter for you, or just pay for Acourate or Audiolense, Mitch’s book, a calibrated microphone like UMIK-1 and do it yourself with some assistance here. The cost would be a fraction of DG-58/68. The main downside would be the filter would not apply to your tuner or vinyl.