IGNORED

Best Streamer without a music server (no Roon etc)

29 minutes ago, keeper said:

To be fair I don’t use it, I was just showing you the info.

But after using my LUMIN I’d be very surprised if it had any issues as everything else works fine, the app may look basic but the LUMIN app is very flexible once you get used to it.

ive just let my Roon subscription lapse and just use the LUMIN app, or for missing Tidal features I may want to use I switch to airplay or Tidal connect via my Sonos connect.

Ive been very pleased with my D2 and Peter is on the forum if you have any issues or questions.

Hi - I’m really keen on learning your experience as my ease of use benchmark is Sonos.. I used Roon to a rendu but gave up as I’m an infrequent music listener and everytime I wanted to play it - it was all sleeping and logged out etc. Sonos just always works. I only stream from the cloud services and while I have a nas and some ripped CDs I never use it. Hence looking for that ultra easy to use always ready solution but ideally also is a bit better than Sonos ZP90 spdif into my mutec and then mytek DAC 

36 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Spotify has very strict rules about attempting to cast to anything from within an app that isn’t Spotify. For the most part, the company won’t allow it unless you can deliver an awesome experience and millions of new customers. 

54 minutes ago, m5sime said:

Thanks! That is using Spotify connect as a way of casting to the LUMIN vs being in the app.

Don't most if not all of the apps belonging to official Spotify Connect supporting streamers that have Spotify 'in the app', so including the Bluesound Node 2i's app, just automatically open & switch you to the official Spotify app anyway when you access the streamer app's 'own' Spotify function?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

21 minutes ago, m5sime said:

Hi - I’m really keen on learning your experience as my ease of use benchmark is Sonos.. I used Roon to a rendu but gave up as I’m an infrequent music listener and everytime I wanted to play it - it was all sleeping and logged out etc. Sonos just always works. I only stream from the cloud services and while I have a nas and some ripped CDs I never use it. Hence looking for that ultra easy to use always ready solution but ideally also is a bit better than Sonos ZP90 spdif into my mutec and then mytek DAC 

I'm a big fan of Sonos, but be careful with the new Sonos Port. I have one and it can't output bit perfect audio via the digital outputs. There is some digital signal processing going on within the unit. I was working on an article about this, but got sidetracked :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

My use is mainly Sonos as we have a speaker in every room, A Sonos  connect links to my amp which means I can have the same music in every room at Sonos quality, that also means Tidal connect can be used.

If you didn’t use Roon a lot maybe a Node 2i would suit, if you want the next level up, which is when I use my LUMIN, it’s very easy to use once you get used to the icons.

all clearly explained here, all products get regular updates https://www.luminmusic.com/support-app.html

I've owned both the Node 2i and LUMIN, the Node is good, musically I find the LUMIN better plus it’s just a streamer and amp, no extra cables or eternal dac.

I just open the app and play music it’s that simple.

To add to the above, I’m using the old Sonos connect.

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

Don't most if not all of the apps belonging to official Spotify Connect supporting streamers that have Spotify 'in the app', so including the Bluesound Node 2i's app, just automatically open & switch you to the official Spotify app anyway when you access the streamer app's 'own' Spotify function?

Hi - Spotify connect is a casting tech where the app of Spotify remains king. Like Roon. Apps like Sonos and I think Bluesound integrate Spotify as a service like Tidal. I can search in Sonos and it finds tracks across tidal and Spotify automatically 

1 hour ago, m5sime said:

Spotify connect is a casting tech where the app of Spotify remains king. Like Roon. Apps like Sonos and I think Bluesound integrate Spotify as a service like Tidal.

BluOS controller app controlled Bluesound players appear to be true Spotify Connect devices, so not like Sonos & need to be used with the Spotify app, according to this Bluesound support article:

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/articles/204063926-Is-my-Bluesound-Player-a-Spotify-Connect-device-

Open the Spotify App on your iOS or Android handheld device. You can also use the Spotify App for Windows or OS X. While logged in using your Spotify Premium account, press the Spotify Connect icon in the bottom left corner of the Spotify App(You have to be in Spotify with a song playing before you can see the Connect icon). Select a Bluesound Player. You will be returned to the Spotify App now playing screen and the Spotify Connect icon will switch from grey to green.

Notes

• The Spotify Icon in the More Music Menu is a shortcut to the Spotify download page at Spotify.com. There is nothing to configure in Bluesound for Spotify
  • A Spotify Icon will appear in the Navigation Drawer of any Bluesound Player that has been previously used as a Spotify Connect Device. This will restart the current paused stream or playlist in your Spotify account

Can anyone who's used a Node 2i with Spotify confirm this?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I see where you are going, but Spotify in Sonos does not provide the same visual look and content.

However if you use Tidal or Spotify Connect from the application you see all the functionality and content, your just telling the endpoint what to play via the app.

Think I’d prefer to use connect, it’s not something that would bother me.

I’m hoping LUMIN can implement Tidal Connect in the app then I can use all the radio functionality from selecting a track.

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806

On 11/20/2020 at 2:57 PM, m5sime said:

The Roon based setup always seems to take 20 mins of arsing around with passwords and updates when it has not been on for a while.

This sounds odd. May I ask where your Roon server is installed ?

Also I have never ever myself been asked for a PW. Updates is  once or twice pr year and takes less than a minute.

26 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

This sounds odd. May I ask where your Roon server is installed ?

Also I have never ever myself been asked for a PW. Updates is  once or twice pr year and takes less than a minute.

I have a Roon rock core on a pc running on the same LAN (different room). I have not used it for a while, but found the Roon  client would ask for a login after a while. The server would have auto slept. My rendu I likely had turned off as not playing music for a bit. Hence, when in the mood I had to boot up, tinker around and never enough like an appliance. My own fault for not using it much, but just found it too much of a faff. 

As all my music is streamed from cloud services I generally prefer the Sonos approach where it’s always waiting and always quick. 

@m5sime

This should not happen. I had a look in Roon forum. Reinstalling Roon should fix that issue.

Anyway, you will find something that fits you.

19 minutes ago, m5sime said:

The server would have auto slept.

Seems to be an issue ?

https://community.roonlabs.com/search?q=Rock autosleep

If you like to save power, not that I think actually will matter much, a TP link  may be a way to go.

I have several. Control from my iPhone app Kasa.

10 hours ago, wklie said:

Lumin is using the official Spotify Connect implementation.  Therefore we are able to support Spotify Free accounts too, whereas the unofficial Open Source implementations do not.

You'll have to use Spotify app for general browsing and playback, although once started playing Spotify, you'll see some status of it in Lumin app in compliance with Spotify Connect guidelines.

As for native manufacturer app support for Spotify, I think that's deprecated.  I suspect this support may be dropped some day, as Spotify really wants users to use the Spotify app.

Hi Peter - thank you.. I have ordered a U1 Mini from Audiobarn for home trial and will see how I get on- Spotify using connect and Tidal via your app... I have a Mutec Mc3+USB between my current streamers and my Mytek DAC (AES into the DAC).. so will be seeing if the Mutec still has any value as a re-clocker. My gut feel is that the Mytek DAC is happier with AES in than USB in..

4 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Possibly but that is quite dependent on the source as the two formats make very different demands of it.

Quite agree. With the LUMIN I will be able to test usb vs aes into the Mytek and compare. I also have a Mutec MC3+USB that I inserted into my USB streamer chain (Rendu). That did improve things. It also replaced the USB in for the Mytek as I took AES out of the Mutec device.. 

while subtle, my conclusion from tinkering over the years is that audio interfaces (AES) etc produce the best results and USB is one of those applied technologies to audio that is has plenty of catch-up to do in refinement (and more source dependant). 

6 hours ago, m5sime said:

while subtle, my conclusion from tinkering over the years is that audio interfaces (AES) etc produce the best results and USB is one of those applied technologies to audio that is has plenty of catch-up to do in refinement (and more source dependant). 

And my experience suggests the opposite, especially since it requires additional functions in the source device.  Can you tell us what your conclusion is based on?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

57 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

And my experience suggests the opposite, especially since it requires additional functions in the source device.  Can you tell us what your conclusion is based on?

Considerably less experience than your own! In that very limited experience, I have found the DACs that can interface with AES (and the right source) to sound more natural than those where they were using USB. So many variables and not a point I can defend, just a personal conclusion I have made. Just checking an aspect of your comment - my understanding is that USB inputs to a DAC mean the DAC is the bit master and pulls from the streamer/source. The opposite being true for AES/SPDIF etc. If this is correct, would USB not place more demands (additional functions in the source device) to your point?

Asynchronous USB is as you describe but it is also a reliable raw data transport protocol.  Since it is asynchronous and buffered, whatever the source does is somewhat irrelevant in the outcome.

OTOH, AES (or S/PDIF) require some inbuilt sound-card functions on the motherboard or card to reformat the data and supply it perfectly clocked.

In practice, I prefer using USB or LAN to leave the audio stuff to the DAC.  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile