Jump to content
IGNORED

Audio Devices Collecting User Data


Recommended Posts

Your TV knows more about you than the IRS.  Sad but true.  I have Amazon music and they send me a playlist of recommended tunes every week.  The upside is that I get some good recommendations.  Downside is they know I like ABBA!  Damn!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that it should necessarily be any consolation, but isn't a lot of the Google Analytics stuff about getting people paid?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2020 at 9:28 PM, KeenObserver said:

With pfsense and the various add-ons you make rules. Set sites that are off limits.  You can subscribe to a service that tracks and reports sites that are malware, and automatically shut them out. And the logging tells you a lot about what your computer is doing behind your back and who is trying to access.

 

I use Suricata with my pFsense box.

On 11/23/2020 at 9:28 PM, KeenObserver said:

With pfsense and the various add-ons you make rules. Set sites that are off limits.  You can subscribe to a service that tracks and reports sites that are malware, and automatically shut them out. And the logging tells you a lot about what your computer is doing behind your back and who is trying to access.

 

I use BlockerNG and Suricata with pFsense. The amount of phoning home is just mind boggling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jud said:

Not that it should necessarily be any consolation, but isn't a lot of the Google Analytics stuff about getting people paid?

It’s definitely about commerce and people getting paid. I just don’t like to be the product and not get paid 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It’s definitely about commerce and people getting paid. I just don’t like to be the product and not get paid 

 

Use of AI has become very widespread to target you with specific ads.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It’s definitely about commerce and people getting paid. I just don’t like to be the product and not get paid 

 

I suppose from the advertisers' and Google's point of view, you are the measurement of how the product in their view (the ad) performs, and it's on that basis money changes hands.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Microsoft has upped the recommended memory for Windows 10.  As CPU's become more powerful operating systems become more bloated.  One has to wonder how much of the increased memory usage and bloat in the operating system is due to the operating system recording metrics of the user and sending them back to the mother ship.

Large data bases and commercial users cannot afford to waste computing power on this spyware.  They must be able to remove it or it isn't there in the commercial versions.

Boycott Warner

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Microsoft has upped the recommended memory for Windows 10.  As CPU's become more powerful operating systems become more bloated.  One has to wonder how much of the increased memory usage and bloat in the operating system is due to the operating system recording metrics of the user and sending them back to the mother ship.

Large data bases and commercial users cannot afford to waste computing power on this spyware.  They must be able to remove it or it isn't there in the commercial versions.

Back in the day we could remove nearly everything in a commercial OS. Now, it's nearly impossible. Not cool. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Back in the day we could remove nearly everything in a commercial OS. Now, it's nearly impossible. Not cool. 

 I think the largest corporations that have industrial secrets to keep write their own code.  And, they have extremely powerful firewalls that strictly control everything that goes in or out of their internal systems.

Boycott Warner

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...