IGNORED

Audio Devices Collecting User Data

Your TV knows more about you than the IRS.  Sad but true.  I have Amazon music and they send me a playlist of recommended tunes every week.  The upside is that I get some good recommendations.  Downside is they know I like ABBA!  Damn!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Not that it should necessarily be any consolation, but isn't a lot of the Google Analytics stuff about getting people paid?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 11/23/2020 at 9:28 PM, KeenObserver said:

With pfsense and the various add-ons you make rules. Set sites that are off limits.  You can subscribe to a service that tracks and reports sites that are malware, and automatically shut them out. And the logging tells you a lot about what your computer is doing behind your back and who is trying to access.

I use Suricata with my pFsense box.

On 11/23/2020 at 9:28 PM, KeenObserver said:

With pfsense and the various add-ons you make rules. Set sites that are off limits.  You can subscribe to a service that tracks and reports sites that are malware, and automatically shut them out. And the logging tells you a lot about what your computer is doing behind your back and who is trying to access.

I use BlockerNG and Suricata with pFsense. The amount of phoning home is just mind boggling.

16 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It’s definitely about commerce and people getting paid. I just don’t like to be the product and not get paid 

Use of AI has become very widespread to target you with specific ads.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It’s definitely about commerce and people getting paid. I just don’t like to be the product and not get paid 

I suppose from the advertisers' and Google's point of view, you are the measurement of how the product in their view (the ad) performs, and it's on that basis money changes hands.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Microsoft has upped the recommended memory for Windows 10.  As CPU's become more powerful operating systems become more bloated.  One has to wonder how much of the increased memory usage and bloat in the operating system is due to the operating system recording metrics of the user and sending them back to the mother ship.

Large data bases and commercial users cannot afford to waste computing power on this spyware.  They must be able to remove it or it isn't there in the commercial versions.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

18 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Microsoft has upped the recommended memory for Windows 10.  As CPU's become more powerful operating systems become more bloated.  One has to wonder how much of the increased memory usage and bloat in the operating system is due to the operating system recording metrics of the user and sending them back to the mother ship.

Large data bases and commercial users cannot afford to waste computing power on this spyware.  They must be able to remove it or it isn't there in the commercial versions.

Back in the day we could remove nearly everything in a commercial OS. Now, it's nearly impossible. Not cool. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Back in the day we could remove nearly everything in a commercial OS. Now, it's nearly impossible. Not cool. 

I think the largest corporations that have industrial secrets to keep write their own code.  And, they have extremely powerful firewalls that strictly control everything that goes in or out of their internal systems.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

• 3 years later...
On 11/19/2020 at 6:11 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys, though I’d start a topic on this one. I found a huge offender this evening. I powered on an Astell & Kern device 24 hours ago and as of right now the unit has tried to phone home 10,012 times. 

It’s trying to send analytics and telemetry information. 

Perhaps there is an opt-out and I don’t see it. 

It should be noted that this device runs Android and a few audio apps. A&K and/or the apps could be responsible for this data collection. 

Phoning home is a service that may be used to track lost or stolen mobile devices. However, its use should be at the option of the owner and not set as a default. Moreover, its use can be abused as a means to collect personal data.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

8 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Phoning home is a service that may be used to track lost or stolen mobile devices. However, its use should be at the option of the owner and not set as a default. Moreover, its use can be abused as a means to collect personal data.

I hear you, but does A&K actually help users recover lost and stolen units? With Find My iPhone, at least I can attempt to recover a lost or stolen phone myself. Perhaps there's a similar feature on A&K devices?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

14 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I hear you, but does A&K actually help users recover lost and stolen units? With Find My iPhone, at least I can attempt to recover a lost or stolen phone myself. Perhaps there's a similar feature on A&K devices?

I have no idea. Why not try to contact A&K to both express your concern about your experience, and to ask them if they offer a feature similar to Apple's?

I once went to get a haircut and the place I picked for its convenience and nearness to my house asked for my home address which I found odd and refused to give it. They then refused to cut my hair. When I asked for a reason that they need my home address the lady at the desk said it was a corporate policy. I have seen that place now has an app and I suspect that's how they gather their customer date now. I still use neither.

edit: Any local needs a good recommendation for a barber, 7th street barbers on West 7th in St Paul. Bonus, they don't need to violate your privacy to give you a high quality haircut. You do need to schedule ahead though as they are generally always booked.

No electron left behind.