IGNORED

Audio Devices Collecting User Data

Hi Guys, though I’d start a topic on this one. I found a huge offender this evening. I powered on an Astell & Kern device 24 hours ago and as of right now the unit has tried to phone home 10,012 times. 

It’s trying to send analytics and telemetry information. 

Perhaps there is an opt-out and I don’t see it. 

It should be noted that this device runs Android and a few audio apps. A&K and/or the apps could be responsible for this data collection. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

One of the many tracking communications is going here - Kochava

https://www.kochava.com/cross-device-tracking-web-sdk/

“Tracking with Web SDK: Unify Disparate Channels

Kochava, long renowned as the leader in mobile app attribution, introduces Web SDK—the bridge for in-app, mobile web, desktop and connected devices for cross-device tracking of your brand, giving you a holistic view of a user’s path to conversion.”

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, fas42 said:

A fascist regime once thought, wouldn't it be great if we could plant a device in everyone's home, to constantly eavesdrop on them - catch them out if "they're plotting against the state".

Then they invented Alexa, and Google Assistant ...

Apple does it as does Linux, and MS - they all do it. With MS you can turn it off. Not sure about the others.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

I'm wouldn't be surprised if even ROON does this but maybe not in as blatant a fashion. Luckily it still works with no Internet connection assuming your not streaming via Tidal/QoBuzz. I keep my core isolated with no Internet connection but not really for this reason but instead to help reduce the updates that are applied. Been burned too many times with updates from Roon and Windows breaking stuff.

Personally I don't care if my listening habits are exposed but what I do worry about are data leaks via these types of devices and things like shady phone Apps. They could have the ability to "trickle" data out of your network that your not aware of. If the phone or music serving device is on the same VLAN/LAN as your other primary devices like your personal data NAS and its not locked down enough than you could be more exposed than you would prefer to know as you see these devices calling home.

15 minutes ago, cjf said:

I'm wouldn't be surprised if even ROON does this but maybe not in as blatant a fashion. Luckily it still works with no Internet connection assuming your not streaming via Tidal/QoBuzz. I keep my core isolated with no Internet connection but not really for this reason but instead to help reduce the updates that are applied. Been burned too many times with updates from Roon and Windows breaking stuff.

Personally I don't care if my listening habits are exposed but what I do worry about are data leaks via these types of devices and things like shady phone Apps. They could have the ability to "trickle" data out of your network that your not aware of. If the phone or music serving device is on the same VLAN/LAN as your other primary devices like your personal data NAS and its not locked down enough than you could be more exposed than you would prefer to know as you see these devices calling home.

I hear you on that one. I look at it this way, if data is on a network it will some day be made public. If the most secure networks in the world have trouble keeping bad actors out, we have no chance. 

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I hear you on that one. I look at it this way, if data is on a network it will some day be made public. If the most secure networks in the world have trouble keeping bad actors out, we have no chance. 

Well, ROON uses the labels databases. I wonder what the labels asked from ROON for using them, besides $$$

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Very interesting Chris...

For what its worth, when I was still using Mac OS and running ROON as well as Little Snitch I only saw Roon going out to the web when streaming a song from Qobuz or Tidal, internet radio, etc...

I'm assuming this info came from a PiHole or similar device?

No electron left behind.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:20 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

One of the many tracking communications is going here - Kochava

https://www.kochava.com/cross-device-tracking-web-sdk/

“Tracking with Web SDK: Unify Disparate Channels

Kochava, long renowned as the leader in mobile app attribution, introduces Web SDK—the bridge for in-app, mobile web, desktop and connected devices for cross-device tracking of your brand, giving you a holistic view of a user’s path to conversion.”

Adguard Home won't let me go to that link, haha.

No electron left behind.

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Very interesting Chris...

For what its worth, when I was still using Mac OS and running ROON as well as Little Snitch I only saw Roon going out to the web when streaming a song from Qobuz or Tidal, internet radio, etc...

I'm assuming this info came from a PiHole or similar device?

Pi-Hole is the tool I use. It’s fantastic. 

8 hours ago, botrytis said:

Well, ROON uses the labels databases. I wonder what the labels asked from ROON for using them, besides $$$

I know Roon uses the AllMusic database (that's where the reviews come from) but do you have any evidence that Roon uses labels' databases?  Given that there are so many versions of albums not in the Roon database, I assumed that Roon did NOT have access to the labels' databases.

mQa is dead!

On 11/19/2020 at 9:11 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys, though I’d start a topic on this one. I found a huge offender this evening. I powered on an Astell & Kern device 24 hours ago and as of right now the unit has tried to phone home 10,012 times. 

It’s trying to send analytics and telemetry information. 

Perhaps there is an opt-out and I don’t see it. 

It should be noted that this device runs Android and a few audio apps. A&K and/or the apps could be responsible for this data collection. 

Maybe data can reveal the saddest number one song ever?

mQa is dead!

I.m setting up two firewalls using pfsense and other add-ons.  I'm setting up a six port Protectli  up at the mountain. I'm re-provisioning a high end Xeon workstation for in the city.  Besides the protection, I want to log everything that is going in or out. I want to see who's calling home.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

16 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

I.m setting up two firewalls using pfsense and other add-ons.  I'm setting up a six port Protectli  up at the mountain. I'm re-provisioning a high end Xeon workstation for in the city.  Besides the protection, I want to log everything that is going in or out. I want to see who's calling home.

It gets really interesting. What’s also interesting is how many people just don’t care or consider it a decent trade off. 

With pfsense and the various add-ons you make rules. Set sites that are off limits.  You can subscribe to a service that tracks and reports sites that are malware, and automatically shut them out. And the logging tells you a lot about what your computer is doing behind your back and who is trying to access.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

15 hours ago, lucretius said:

I know Roon uses the AllMusic database (that's where the reviews come from) but do you have any evidence that Roon uses labels' databases?  Given that there are so many versions of albums not in the Roon database, I assumed that Roon did NOT have access to the labels' databases.

This was based on a talk to a Roon Developer at audio show.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590