IGNORED

Article: Review | Buchardt Audio A500 Speaker System

Bob, based on some responses I just got from Auralic and Buchardt, I should be able to connect the G1 with the Platin hub. The G1 will be the streamer and the hub just a Wisa transmitter upto 24bit /96K. I tried this and sounds somewhat sharper than previous setup without G1, though not sure if it would get better with DAC /xlr. 

16 hours ago, bobfa said:

I would not go overboard on DAC for this.  I am looking at the Soekris DAC2541.  

Do not jump in too fast.  Also you may want to consider the whole chain.  The server/streamer is a lot more important than you think.

If all goes well I may be selling my Altair G1 shortly.  

Hi Bob, I am considering purchase of Buchardt A500, and quite probably I would use latest mac mini. The open question is what fit well in-between mini and A500. WiSA hub bundled with speakers right now seem to be only a temporary solution which will be substituted in some time with better hub. If I am correct, I should wait for a new hub, or I should look for more expencive streamer+DAC solution. Would you please elaborate why you are looking on Soekris DAC? Did you consider other DACs for work with A500? If you will have Soekris, what you will use for streaming?

7 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Hi Bob, I am considering purchase of Buchardt A500, and quite probably I would use latest mac mini. The open question is what fit well in-between mini and A500. WiSA hub bundled with speakers right now seem to be only a temporary solution which will be substituted in some time with better hub. If I am correct, I should wait for a new hub, or I should look for more expencive streamer+DAC solution. Would you please elaborate why you are looking on Soekris DAC? Did you consider other DACs for work with A500? If you will have Soekris, what you will use for streaming?

I cannot say what would be best for you.  I have recently purchased a custom  assembled and configured Roon server from @lmitche https://nuckleheadaudio.com

The server is directly connected to the DACs via a custom interface that he provides that gives me USB.

It seems that many folks are really happy with the current Buchardt hub.  I have been using them with the analog in and not using the hub at all.  I know that Mads Buchardt has openly spoken about building his own.  It will be interesting.

The Soekris DAC is just very interesting to me. I want to listen to their R-2R sign magnitude technology.  I have been reading a lot about their equipment and I wanted to try one for myself.  It should be here soon!

36 minutes ago, bobfa said:

I cannot say what would be best for you.  I have recently purchased a custom  assembled and configured Roon server from @lmitche https://nuckleheadaudio.com

The server is directly connected to the DACs via a custom interface that he provides that gives me USB.

It seems that many folks are really happy with the current Buchardt hub.  I have been using them with the analog in and not using the hub at all.  I know that Mads Buchardt has openly spoken about building his own.  It will be interesting.

The Soekris DAC is just very interesting to me. I want to listen to their R-2R sign magnitude technology.  I have been reading a lot about their equipment and I wanted to try one for myself.  It should be here soon!

Thank you!) I hope to read your impressions on Soekris.

14 minutes ago, tomeh said:

Thanks very much for your reviews.

I'm curious if you have listened/reviewed the Kii Three without the BXT?

If I missed that, I'll search again.

Cheers.

Stay well.

Tom eh

Yes just the other day.  I was not concentrating on the A500 so I may be a bad reporter.  I did not have either of the speakers optimally placed as we were evaluating something else.   Read the Kii Three review that Mitch did.

The Kii Three on its own presents a very very even and detailed response.  They are more detailed.    The A500 is less detailed but it images very nicely on its own.    I really would not want to compare them in this way as they are in different price classes.

I sometimes worry that we over emphasize the differences in things. Both the A500 and the Kii Threes are special, but in different realms if that makes sense.  

Yes, we are talking about two different worlds price wise.

And thanks I had seen Mitch's review.

And searching I see that your complete Kii system is for sale.

I know you said that you would like to sell it together, but if you ever do consider seperating it, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Stay well.

Tom eh

On 1/4/2021 at 3:47 AM, bobfa said:

Today I tried a little change.  I setup my Sound Anchor stands under the A500's with a set of  4 Iso-Pucks under each speaker.  The change from using the Gaia isolators under the stands is downright stunning!  I sat and listened to a playlist for over an hour in amazement.

Just logged in to thank you - a lot! - for the tip regarding the iso pucks.

Actually I thought they might not be useful for speakers on stands (rather on other bases) but due to your post I‘ve ordered some (mini) for my S400s. Meanwhile I‘ve also ordererd 2 solid metal plates exactly matching the footprint of the speakers and mounted them on my stands so that I can place the pucks (almost) under the very corners of the speaker cabinet.

Damn... these pucks are really great!

Thanks again!

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

On 1/4/2021 at 3:47 PM, bobfa said:

Today I tried a little change.  I setup my Sound Anchor stands under the A500's with a set of  4 Iso-Pucks under each speaker.  The change from using the Gaia isolators under the stands is downright stunning!  I sat and listened to a playlist for over an hour in amazement.

IMG_0011.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

Hi Bob

While I'm waiting for my A500`s to arrive I thinking about ordering the Iso-Pucks. 

I've read elsewhere that under-loading the pucks does not bring the best out of them, so I'm going to order 3 sets (6 Iso-Pucks) with three under each speaker (plus save me a few dollars!). 

May I ask, have you tried this with only three pucks under each speaker - if so, any reduction/gain in SQ?

Also, just viewed a video from New Record Day about speakers with controlled directivity had considerable gain in sound stage when using extreme toe-in. 

He enthused about this 'tweak' and the speakers that gained the most from this were the Buchardt S400's.  The A500's are a different beast but maybe worth trying if you have the time.

See 

TL;DR

For 'how to' go to 6:45 min and the S400's comments: 3:00 & 10:30 min.

26 minutes ago, tims said:

I've read elsewhere that under-loading the pucks does not bring the best out of them, so I'm going to order 3 sets (6 Iso-Pucks) with three under each speaker (plus save me a few dollars!). 

When I was testing the A500s I went to the Orea series for the right loading.  I use 4 under each speaker. (I have cats)

https://isoacoustics.com/orea-series/

The extreme toe-in is an old trick...  The testing process he was using is a bit primitive. It also looks like the spikes are not really getting into the substrate, the carpet looks too thick??  Hard to tell in the video.

I put down 2x2ft MDF panels on the floor.  Set the stands on the panels and use Herbies Audio Lab Gliders:

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/loudspeaker-rack-decoupling-and-isolation/products/cone-spike-decoupling-glider?variant=12645103403063

Here is the setup in action:

IMG_0044.thumb.jpeg.cafb8392f589d0608eeacd1803944c3c.jpeg

IMG_0046.thumb.jpeg.bf8cc9b8ccc5b66745cb62415ef2d1e3.jpegIMG_0047.thumb.jpeg.393c872213652dc11a58e90a5345a4c1.jpeg

After several experiments over the years using an accelerometer and  a sethoscope as well as a screwdriver handle (al la mechanic style), I always come back to McMaster Carr.

Stock number  60855K71

https://www.mcmaster.com/60855k71

Four under each speaker, on the outer corners.

Amazing isolation between whatever is supporting the speaker and the cabinet.

And the price is right.

Cheers,

Tom eh

On 11/19/2020 at 8:30 PM, bobfa said:

Ted,

Thanks for the note.  I am sort of casual in what I do.   We have to have fun with it.  And there is a surprise coming in the next couple of weeks! 

I am starting a thread on the site in a bit discussing all of the software issues with related equipment that I had trouble with this summer. Roon and everybody else.

Bob

No need to have FOMO. Buchardt is coming out with a 500 watt sub this year that you can pair with the A500s. I'll be looking forward to adding that to my A500s

• 2 weeks later...

Nice write up Bob. I am a complete newbie to hi fi ( just about 10 days since I started exploring for my first ever hi-fi) and the Buchardt A500 came up in one of the forums. Since then I have been intrigued and trying to find as many objective reviews as possible before I hit the buy button. So, thanks.

On the other hand, would anyone on this forum have any  knowledge of Buchardt have a sense of their delivery timelines..?  Their website does not seem to have that information.  

22 minutes ago, Shrek1982 said:

Hi Bob 

You earlier mentioned you were testing various dacs (without streamer) to go analog to the A500 speakers, and compare against the WiSA hub. Any conclusions to share on that front? Thank you. 

Regards 

Regards 

I have an article that will be published shortly about speakers.  I am using something different.  I could never get the WiSA hub to work well enough for my use.  

The server I am using allows me to have "clean" USB ports virtually anywhere I want them.  My DAC evaluation is really just getting started.  I am waiting for #4 to arrive, production problems!  

Thanks for the reply Bob. Will await your articles on the speakers and DACs. 

Right now I have settled on Roon nucleus - Aries G1 - Wisa hub - speakers, with Nucleus and G1 connected with the router via ethernet cables. Very happy with it. 

Will wait for the new hub from Buchardt and then replace the hub or both hub and G1. Unless I can try DAC - analog input to speaker by myself and feel its much better. Need to find a friend in Singapore who can loan me one :) 

hi Bob

On your video review you said Mads advised that the speakers needed 300 hours to fully break-in.  Did you continue to hear improvements to around the 300 hour mark or do you feel it did not take this long?

Also,  another review noted that the rear module holding the class D amps etc. was almost too hot to touch and was concerned that this might adversely affect the life of the electronics. 

Have you any thoughts on this? 

I would stay they were still changing at around 200 hours.  I cannot say much more.

I noted the heat in the system also.  I think I measured it at 165F.  There are multiple companies using that hardware.  I can assume that it is ok.  It does bother me a bit.  Then again I change speakers by the season so I might not be the right person to judge this....