Jump to content
IGNORED

Article: Review | Buchardt Audio A500 Speaker System


Recommended Posts

On 11/21/2020 at 9:10 PM, bobfa said:

Maybe it never ends!

On 11/22/2020 at 1:14 AM, firedog said:

Bob, just a suggestion: you need to find something you are happy with and stop the FOMO.

 

It will never end because it is a hobby. That means it will be a continuing process of exploration and discovery rather than to reach a final goal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RichardSF said:

 

It will never end because it is a hobby. That means it will be a continuing process of exploration and discovery rather than to reach a final goal.

I was trying to be funny in some ways. What you say is true!  

 

I still have this feeling that I am very close to where I should be, value wise, at least.  And I am over the moon in SQ vs Price right now.   Simplicity is not quite there yet.  Looks in the living room, still a little ways to go there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Out of the box, the A500's did something new for me.  The treble did not sound harsh.  The bass response was jaw-dropping.  How did the Buchardt Audio team make this happen?  As I have been auditioning them, I have not once felt something was off.  I am repeatedly amazed at the depth and breadth of the sound stage. Vocal and small ensemble performances feel almost alive.  The A500 speakers have exceeded my expectations in several areas, apparent sound stage, bass response (…)

 

I've recently purchased their passive siblings --- the S400:

https://www.buchardtaudio.com/shop/s400-white

Soon there's a Buchardt integrated Amp available that features the same or similar DSP options and conncetions:

https://www.buchardtaudio.com/shop/i150

Sure an interessting package.

 

Anyway... just wanted to say, with regard to sound quality, I am as amazed as you what these little boxes are capable of.

Since I moved I've been looking for new (smaller) speakers for the new living room.

The S400 got my attention due to the passive radiator and the wave guide which, in essence, makes positioning of the speakers much less critical. Listening to these little speakers in fact doesn't require to find a sweet spot at the listening position. You can in fact place them in front of a wall if you have to (you should consider to drop the room gain with an EQ attenuating the low frequencies in this extreme case, though). But the more wiggle room you have, the better, of course.

Imaging is fantastic, they draw a wide, detailed and super coherent organic soundstage. And they sound much bigger, richer and beefier than you might think with regard to their dimensions. Too, - which is important for me since I listen to a lot of different sytles of music - they go with the flow whatever you throw at them... chamber music, large orchestra, acoustic music, EDM, Techno, Electronical, Hip Hop, Pop/Rock, Industrial Rock, Punk, Metal... whatever. Maybe they shine the most with minimal acoustic music... but this can possibly be said about most speakers (minimalistic music mostly sounds good...). But if you are in the mood to spend an evening with, say, Porcupine Tree's "The Incident", they deliver the energy and complexity without you ever thinking about turning the volume down.

The price-performance ratio is really amazing!

Great company and business model!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2020 at 2:22 PM, copy_of_a said:

Anyway... just wanted to say, with regard to sound quality, I am as amazed as you what these little boxes are capable of.

Since I moved I've been looking for new (smaller) speakers for the new living room.

The S400 got my attention due to the passive radiator and the wave guide which, in essence, makes positioning of the speakers much less critical. Listening to these little speakers in fact doesn't require to find a sweet spot at the listening position.

It is good to hear your experience with the S400 speakers.  Sounds like there is a great family resemblance.  

 

I am still working on placement of my speakers.  I have to try the Mastertunings that is done to move them closer to the front wall.  I still have a lot to learn about setting these up.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bobfa said:

It is good to hear your experience with the S400 speakers.  Sounds like there is a great family resemblance. 

Should be … the A500 are actually the active variant of the S400 and they share main design decisions.

 

11 hours ago, bobfa said:

I am still working on placement of my speakers.  I have to try the Mastertunings that is done to move them closer to the front wall.  I still have a lot to learn about setting these up.

The DSP options are for sure fun and rewarding to play with! I’ve quickly read through Burchardts infos - and with joy through your very nice review! 👍 - and I think it’s a really very well thought out system.

I think it makes sense to fine tune the sound / positioning after the recommended break in time span. The 100 hours Burchardt refers to sound reasonable to me. The speakers (well, at least the S400) change their sound so much within the first 20-30 hours and after that they continue to sound warmer and richer, the bass gets bigger and the imaging gets more refined.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...