IGNORED

Article: Review | Buchardt Audio A500 Speaker System

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

Great looking (and I guess sounding :) ) speakers, and a very friendly sales/business model.  And your review style is different, well laid out, and refreshing.  I also have a real soft spot in my heart toward waveguides, so....kudos.  Congrats!  I imagine the next several weeks/months they will settle in to you space even better.  👍

Ted,

Thanks for the note.  I am sort of casual in what I do.   We have to have fun with it.  And there is a surprise coming in the next couple of weeks! 

I am starting a thread on the site in a bit discussing all of the software issues with related equipment that I had trouble with this summer. Roon and everybody else.

Bob

I do not have experience with the LX521, I do understand they sound amazing.  The staging on A500 speakers is amazing.  I think it is in part the design of the tweeter subsystem.  They really do punch-above-their-weight!   Over the last 8 weeks they have settled in rather nicely.  Their presence is very good. Sitting in the sweet spot they almost disappear and the image really locks in!  Just sitting in the room it is closer to feeling of being there with the music.

In closing they do not have quite the weight of the Dutch and Dutch 8C.  The Kii Threes have a bit more detail and with the BXT the Kii's dynamics are amazing.

6 hours ago, Tait said:

Great review, made for excellent reading.

I'm guessing that if you are using the analogue inputs on the A500's, then you cannot take advantage of the room correction software inside the hub?

You are correct that the Room Correction is only in the hub.  I have some correction ability in my Altair G1 also.

1 hour ago, Foggie said:

A bit random question, but in your opening statement you state

"the Kii speakers are an incredible system, but they are out of most "normal budgets."

Sorry if I'm missing the point, but what does you owning the Kii's have anything to do with anyone else and or others budgets?  I get simplifying, but the Kii's seem to be a killer system and something you definitely enjoyed immensely?  Additionally, other then size their pretty simplified as is, being active.  Anyway just curious.👍

I may not have elaborated this well enough.  OR maybe I did not articulate my me situation, feelings.  Budget is an overriding factor in most system designs.  I have spent a year and more money that I care to count to keep up with the Kii's.   I built spaghetti USB solutions and more.  That is where the complexity came in.  I got lost in it.  Of course it was my business at the time!    

I have backed all of that down and started something simpler.  In my testing I have found a path that seems to fit me well.  My AURALiC Altair G1 is an all in one solution that provides and analog XLR variable level output that amazes me for the price.   This has become the target core of my system.   This is still rather expensive!  I am still hoping to drop this further down.

While I was still operating my business I got the Dutch and Dutch 8C system.  They still have the potential to be a complete stand alone system once they get direct streaming.  

Over the summer I started with the Elac NAVIS ARB-51.  They were a long shot for me.  They really perform well, but not to the level I wanted.

When the Buchardt Audio A500 came along and a couple of the reviews were rather stunning I knew I had to try them.  Out of the box they really impressed me.  After almost two months of use they have really grown on me.

During this testing with the Discovery Connect and the WiSA hub pop up as very interesting alternatives that cost much less than the Altair G1 system design.

I am pretty close.  I will have to see what happens with the Hansong Hub software so I can fully evaluate it, can it replace the Altair G1?  

And lastly there is a bit of FOMO going on here.  Buchardt has started shipping their A700 system.  Mads Buchardt describes them as having the same character as the A500 with more flavor! The A700 is a floor stander that has some interesting built-in isolation technology.  While they are more money, if they do not need the GAIA isolators that reduces cost. Then with no stands thinks look cleaner.  FOMO abounds.

Maybe it never ends!

bob

1 hour ago, ShawnC said:

@bobfaDo the speakers have auto on/off functionality?  Not much mentioned in the manual. 

I hope you get the A700s to review, that's the one I'm considering.  Too bad they can't do the room correction from the phone app direct to the speaker, thus bypassing the need for a hub.  I just use Roon with Qobuz and my NAS.  I would only need the XLR input.  It would be better if it was AES.  Or better yet Ethernet input on the speakers.  The price of the hub isn't my concern, just not needed in my case but I would deiffenitly want room correction.  BTW nice video. 

Shawn,

All of the speakers I have been testing do echo the quality of the source.  The analog inputs on all of the speakers I have tested sound really great.  Make sure you have that part of the audio chain well in hand.  I have used Roon room correction and that works well.

To echo my goals, simplicity, budget, and sound quality. I am very interested in the WiSA hub that goes with the Buchardt's!

I will pass on your comment on the Video.  My two friends and I have a lot of fun with our YouTube channel. Tony does the video production work, he is great.

bob

22 minutes ago, firedog said:

They only talk about an iPhone in their literature. Can you also do the setup from an iPad?

The app that does the room correction on the WiSA Hub appears to be an OEM product from Hansong.  There are other speaker systems using the same hub and they also private label the app.  It is my understanding that they have tested/modeled iPhone microphone systems to optimize the inputs.  I have not tested this by running the software on an iPad to see what the curves look like.

bo

6 minutes ago, RichardSF said:

It will never end because it is a hobby. That means it will be a continuing process of exploration and discovery rather than to reach a final goal.

I was trying to be funny in some ways. What you say is true!  

I still have this feeling that I am very close to where I should be, value wise, at least.  And I am over the moon in SQ vs Price right now.   Simplicity is not quite there yet.  Looks in the living room, still a little ways to go there.

On 11/24/2020 at 2:22 PM, copy_of_a said:

Anyway... just wanted to say, with regard to sound quality, I am as amazed as you what these little boxes are capable of.

Since I moved I've been looking for new (smaller) speakers for the new living room.

The S400 got my attention due to the passive radiator and the wave guide which, in essence, makes positioning of the speakers much less critical. Listening to these little speakers in fact doesn't require to find a sweet spot at the listening position.

It is good to hear your experience with the S400 speakers.  Sounds like there is a great family resemblance.  

I am still working on placement of my speakers.  I have to try the Mastertunings that is done to move them closer to the front wall.  I still have a lot to learn about setting these up.

9 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

Hi Bob, 

Great report !

From what i read, you did not need your Ryzen server anymore, just streaming from apps to the HUB ?

Regards

I still have my Ryzen Roon Server running.  I am waiting for two systems to get Roon Certified to see what this does for me and to re-evaluate Roon.  I want the Dutch and Dutch 8Cs and the Hangsong Hub working!

I use my Altair G1 a lot.  Some of the Google Cast and Airplay streaming tools.  I have trouble with Qobuz to the Hub and some of the same issues with Audirvana.  

I am still driving to eliminate extra hardware in the system.  It would be really interesting to not need the Altair G1.  

29 minutes ago, lolligagger said:

I have the A500 and I am thoroughly happy with it. I really appreciated your review and I really like your writing style... quite different and refreshing!  

I wrote the review to follow along my 45 day journey.  I had a lot of fun with that, and it felt like the right thing to do!  

32 minutes ago, lolligagger said:

You mention that there is a ''surprise coming in a few weeks.''

That is what surprises are, things to keep you guessing..

33 minutes ago, lolligagger said:

Can you please tell me why you did not try and report on the A500 built in DSP room correction?

I actually did run the room correction.  In the time I had available I did not get a good understanding of what it did.  I will be going back and working with it some more.  I think that part of the problem is IOS14 beta that I was running at the time.  I noted that another reviewer was having trouble.  I did not want to short-shrift the feature.

I switch between using my Altair G1 and the Hansong Hub to really get the feeling of what is going on with those two paths.  I am waiting for some software updates to the hub that I hope will fix some of the issues I found.  (that is under a separate thread, about software in general.  Summer of Software Stress)

There is much more to come.

bob

14 minutes ago, lolligagger said:

My set-up is as follows: MacMini with Pure Music (local library), Tidal, Audirvana (local library and Tidal) > A500 hub via USB cable or Wifi then WiSA out to the speakers. 

Alternatively I have the MacMini USB connected to a  Chord MScaler > Chord Dave > Crayon CIA 1T integrated whose preamp outs are RCA connected to the hub. Then the hub drives the speakers via WiSA. 

This is exactly what I was asking.  Your Mac mini is the source of your music and you use USB to the Hub!  OR through your other system again to the hub.  

Have you tried the balanced output of the Dave directly to the A500's?  I have been using my Altair G1 direct to the A500s with a set of AudioQuest Water cables.

How do you have the Mac and Audirvana setup via USB?  I am fussing over the volume control not working right.  I have not spent any real time figuring it out. I read something in the hub manual about how it locks the volume control on USB so that you can use the computer to set volume.  Audirvana is not working right for that.  IT is either all the way up or it drops to zero.  

On a separate note, how to you feel about the room correction?

4 hours ago, lolligagger said:

I have not tried the balanced inputs at all. As I wrote in my last post, I have been enjoying my A500 system just as it is so I haven't been inclined to try the balanced inputs... also because it eliminates DSP room correction.

After reading what you had to say, which corresponds to that which another reviewer said, I think that I would like to try the balanced connection.

First please do not go out and spend money unless you really feel the need.  I am interested in how others find any differences..  I have used Mogami Gold cables for audio systems.  I have found that Transparent are very good.  I am currently using Audioquest Water cables between the Altair G1 and the A500s.  

I will not argue your research on balanced cables.  I have experience that tells my ears different things.  MOSTLY balanced cables do a lot to help reject induced noise.  That is their purpose on very long runs.  On shorter runs in very resolving systems their noise reduction becomes more important. 

5 hours ago, lolligagger said:

I had the same problem with the Audirvana's volume.

I have several more things to try.  The problems between the UPnP software in the Hub and other devices such as Audirvana have been putting me off of actually using it that way.  Are you then using the remote control to change volume for USB?  Being able to control the volume remotely is important to me.

My ongoing listening on the A500's

Do to re-arranging the Living Room for Christmas. (not my fault) I have had to move the system into a different location.  For the work I am doing I cannot have a Christmas tree between the right speaker and my ear.    I have flipped the room around a bit to support both.   This has changed the presentation a bit in the lower registers of the system..  It will take me a couple of days to sort out speaker placement as best as possible in this setup.  The differences are not terrible, they are just different.  It may give me more impetus to use the Hansong Hub room correction.  

I still need to get consistency in the Hub software to work right with Audirvana or something!  

I really want to complete a comparison between the WISA Hub and using my Auralic G1 direct to the A500.  I have several ideas that I will fuss over.

Bob

6 minutes ago, PeterG said:

This is great advice all around.  Cables can have a big impact, but it is really system-dependent

Peter, thanks for your observations.   One of the tests I am conducting here is with the A500's and XLR cables.  I have a set of Mogami Gold and a set of AudioQuest Water.  The Mogami are around $100 or less and the AuudioQuest are at around $1000.  Are the $$ worth it.

The same can be said for the Hansong Hub vs my Altair G1.  Is it worth it?  To replace the Altair I need some computing stuff so it is not only the hub.    

5 hours ago, lolligagger said:

Have you tried removing Audirvana and then loading it again? I think that is what I will do with mine, but I want to talk to Audirvana about it first. 

I am actually trying an different Mac right now.  I will let you know.  I CANNOT BELIEVE that I did not try this myself.  Lost in so many things.

1 hour ago, lolligagger said:

Are you asking if it is worth a $1000 for the cables? I don't know. if the cables are clearly superior, then I guess it is worth it. 

You have seen what good cables can do.  That is not the core question in my mind.  

I have the speakers and the Hub and on the “side” have the AURALiC Altair G1 part of the system.  The G1 is really amazing for the price.  The G1 does double the total cost of ownership of the system.   ($1500 in cables, $2800 for the G1 and $600 for 4TB of storage)  

For me the Question of the Day is Hub VS G1.    The similarities between the two are rather interesting.  

The Hub will be driven by a Mac Mini using a Transparent USB cable until I can get UPnP working right.  On the Mac I will use Audirvana. I will use my NAS for music storage.  

Another 20 or 30 hours of listening will help determine that.    

@lolligagger Thank you  for the response.  The detail that Mads passed along to you is very interesting.  We can have a long discussion of BlueOS, but for now we do not have it. 

I am very familiar with speakers that have integrated electronics like the A500.  I am downsizing from a pair of Kii Three s+BXT and a pair of Dutch and Dutch 8Cs.   (I used to sell audio gear).    I think we can both agree that the A500 has a very high price/performance ratio.  

As I have stated the goal for me is simplicity.  There have been multiple roadblocks to that simplicity.  The Hansong Hub and WiSA are very good at what they do.  Part of that is the ease of getting it hooked up.

I have not yet said that the XLR inputs of the A500 actually sound better than through the HUB.  With a stable input to the Hub using Audirvana (I think I got it working), I can do some serious comparison.

That will start today!