IGNORED

Conversion of a Chord DAVE to DC power using two Uptone Audio JS-2s

1 hour ago, DAVE JS2 said:

Hang on...what about the cruelty of depriving ME of listening to my upgraded DAVE?!

It is just one that Chord has bought in (see photo), and I'd imagine @JohnSwenson has more pressing matters to attend to. But I'd be happy to send it if it would be of use to him.

IMG-2185.jpg

Thanks! Hmmm, there goes my assumption of purposely built or at least custom built to spec for Chord. This is an off the shelf supply. For medical, among other applications. Costs about 50 euros a piece here in the Netherlands and a lot less when bought in large batches.

Technical specs: https://www.xppower.com/portals/0/pdfs/SF_ECM40-100.pdf

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Vibex one 6R power distributor | Uptone Audio JS-2 | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN | Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Sonore OpticalModule | Emo Systems EN-70HD | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Transparent premium AES/EBU, Nordost Leif Red Dawn analog RCA, Kimber 8TC speaker cables, custom star-quad power cables with Oyaide connectors Roon server Mac Mini/i7/SSD/16GB/Uptone DC mod/external SDD via firewire, Catalina | Roon | Tidal | Qobuz 

2 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Hmmm, there goes my assumption of purposely built or at least custom built to spec for Chord.

This Head-fi post is Rob Watts on the medical SMPS, whats important in a PSU for his DACs and the further conditioning measures he uses in the DAVE, post PSU.

" Would using a better SMPS give better SQ? Maybe, but the evidence suggests no. "

I read that piece¬†before deciding to give the JS-2s a go, and you know my¬†conclusion:¬†ūüė≥. ;)

38 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Thanks! Hmmm, there goes my assumption of purposely built or at least custom built to spec for Chord. This is an off the shelf supply. For medical, among other applications.

My understanding based on what was discussed in Head-Fi by Rob Watts is that he picked the ‚Äúbest‚ÄĚ SMPS he thinks is appropriate for his DAC design and then design the regulators and RF filters subsequent to the SMPS around the specific SMPS. So to him, the PSU of the unit is not the $50 SMPS or whatever LPS is in use but the entire system from the SMPS + RF filters and regulators, etc. So it didn‚Äôt surprise me that the SMPS was only $50. In fact, I thought it was going to be cheaper than that.

Roon (convolution filter using Acourate) > ultraRendu > Peachtree X1 (Toslink) > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Chord DAVE > Chord Etude > Dynaudio Confidence C1 Signature + Sunfire TS-EQ10 subwoofers

16 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I have noticed that the older DAVE DACs use the above off-the-shelf product. The newer manufactured units I have seen, 2020 in particular, had this one - EOS Power LFWLT40-3002. It's a $15 power supply on a $10K+ DAC. No wonder we all like this upgrade :). 

They can talk as much as they want about voicing, but...

and...

In other words, the voicing around the $15 SMPS was not really something I liked in my system. 

Yeah...

Rob's Head-fi post indicates that not a great deal of thought went into the SMPS (no A/B testing, @skatbeltūüėĪ¬†) despite all the downstream work he describes.

To paraphrase @kennyb123, best to combine the world-class elements that each of these leading individuals bring to the table and 'tune out' other elements based on our own experiences and preferences.

Though it would have been nice to have an external DC input, as with HMS, to allow for experimentation without voiding the warranty...¬†ūüßź