IGNORED

Which DAC Would You Recommend?

On 11/18/2020 at 11:25 PM, taipan1013 said:

I currently have a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Dac.  I am considering purchasing a new dac with pre-amp.  I have narrowed my selections to the following:

1- RME adt-2 dac (cost is a little more than my budget of $750 but due to build and features it seems like excellent choice)

2. SMSL m400 dac -  (good reviews but somewhat concerned regarding quality)

3. Topping d90 dac - (good reviews but somewhat concerned regarding quality)

4. Other dacs forum members might recommend.

Appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.  Will using with Roon and Pi4.

Thanks Greg

Not really sure why you think the Topping and the SMSL are not sufficient quality. They are in wide use and are well regarded. I have another Chinese DAC, a Matrix, which I think is a fine piece of equipment and seems as well made as other electronics I've owned. At least in terms of the case and buttons-knobs, it is clearly superior to a similarly priced Schiit preamp. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

49 minutes ago, nocrapman said:

SLightly off topic but does topping have a DAC that can also serve as a roon end point?

Matrix makes DACs that are also Roon Ready Endpoints.  Very well regarded/measured pieces. If you are looking at Topping, no reason not to look at Matrix.

matrix-digi.com

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, 57gold said:

I'd be looking at this one in the $1K range.  Lots of ins and outs, can tailor output voltage to drive various amps (no preamp required), can have wifi and ethernet connections for streaming and one of the lowest distortion levels and flat frequency responses ever measured by guys who do that.

https://www.oktoresearch.com/dac8stereo.htm

https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/okto-dac8-stereo-dac-review.14705/

Stereophile just did a brief review of the 8 channel version, which I wouldn't know what to do with, but the stereo/2 channel one is supposed to slightly better in terms of dynamics, if I read things correctly.

Made in Prague, if that makes a difference?  I enjoyed my few days there drinking beer and dining on the river...though it was freaking crowded during the day with bus loads of tourist groups taking selfies, it fortunately rained and drove the herds inside to hide.

That stereo unit looks like a really good unit with lots of value for the dollar. Based on it's big brother, it will probably measure really well, too. Review was very posiive.