IGNORED

Did MQA on Tidal evolve?

I apologize if this has been discussed in another thread, but since I try to avoid MQA, I ignore discussions about it.

My M-Scaler has recently displayed a yellow color for sample rate more frequently.  It’s a color I am not sure I had ever seen until recently. Yellow represents 88.2k.

As I checked Roon, each time I saw yellow it was an MQA track.  The screenshot that follows was displayed when playing a track from “A Trick of the Tale” from Genesis.

9988C16C-4228-4309-B580-72CD5619F786.jpeg.e74d2e0e5039b8b32e0a8de771b3d57f.jpeg

This seems odd to me as I’m used to seeing what’s displayed in the screenshot below for MQA.  This is from a track from Joni’s Blue.  See the second line indicates “MQA Studio 192kHz”.  The first unfold is to half this.  On the above Authentication is “MQA 44.1kHz”.  The above gives the impression that they started with a 44.1k file and are simply upsampling it. Is that why it’s not indicating “MQA Standard”?

A3480EFD-27A4-44E4-B0E6-A7C8CA234B47.jpeg.8643cfc0293b0ace173aba1f7f4a924a.jpeg

By the way, I did check that Genesis album in Tidal’s own app.  It was marked as Master.  It could very well be that Tidal is erroneously display that flag.  I hope that’s the case because I wasn’t too fond of what I heard from that album in 88.2.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

6 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

My M-Scaler has recently displayed a yellow color for sample rate more frequently.  It’s a color I am not sure I had ever seen until recently. Yellow represents 88.2k.

@kennyb123 I have noticed this recently on my FishScaler as well. I do not use Roon, so do not get all the info you posted on the file, but I will pay closer attention to this in Conductor app. Glad you mentioned it. I thought it could have been a Scotch-based artifact. 

BTW: your comments elsewhere on Shunyata PCs was helpful. Thanks. Mark

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png