IGNORED

Serious help for a simple problem

SNJay

Question

Hello there. I run a YouTube channel where I make video essays on shows/movies that I like. Currently, to record my voice, I use an ElectroVoice RE20 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and Cloudlifter for more gain.

I'll link a video from my channel below. But, I feel like my audio balancing may be off, and/or my microphone recording has too much gain. I lowered the gain on the Focusrite, but when I go to master my audio and normalize it to -3 DB (from the many tutorials I've seen on YouTube for Adobe Audition mastering). I am a beginner with audio editing, but I'm aware it's not the best I can do with the stellar equipment I've managed to assemble, and that I'm capable of outputting better audio.

So, I'm asking if it's possible for someone to firstly: see IF I DO have an audio issue, and if so, HOW can I improve my audio during the processing phase. Because, people who use the RE 20 (podcasters, radio stations, professional youtubers who are much better than me) can and ALWAYS have superior balanced audio then me. I would like to see at least how I can get a start in fixing my audio.

Just for reference, this is my most recent video where I used said audio setup: 

Thanks for reading, have a nice day

4 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, SNJay said:

Hello there. I run a YouTube channel where I make video essays on shows/movies that I like. Currently, to record my voice, I use an ElectroVoice RE20 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and Cloudlifter for more gain.

I'll link a video from my channel below. But, I feel like my audio balancing may be off, and/or my microphone recording has too much gain. I lowered the gain on the Focusrite, but when I go to master my audio and normalize it to -3 DB (from the many tutorials I've seen on YouTube for Adobe Audition mastering). I am a beginner with audio editing, but I'm aware it's not the best I can do with the stellar equipment I've managed to assemble, and that I'm capable of outputting better audio.

So, I'm asking if it's possible for someone to firstly: see IF I DO have an audio issue, and if so, HOW can I improve my audio during the processing phase. Because, people who use the RE 20 (podcasters, radio stations, professional youtubers who are much better than me) can and ALWAYS have superior balanced audio then me. I would like to see at least how I can get a start in fixing my audio.

Just for reference, this is my most recent video where I used said audio setup: 

Thanks for reading, have a nice day

Hi @SNJay welcome to Audiophile Style. I listened to your video and my first impression was that the sound is tilted very much toward the higher frequencies. There seems to be a lack of midrange and no low end. Granted, I’m not listening on my main system, so these judgements may be off a little bit. 

Your gear is 100% capable of great sound. 

Question: Are you always talking into the perfect place on the microphone and at the correct distance?

Also, what happens if you don’t process the audio at all? What if you just record your voice to an audio file? Do you get full frequencies or do you hear the same issue? Adjusting settings this way can be a quick way to find the good settings. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi @SNJay welcome to Audiophile Style. I listened to your video and my first impression was that the sound is tilted very much toward the higher frequencies. There seems to be a lack of midrange and no low end. Granted, I’m not listening on my main system, so these judgements may be off a little bit. 

Your gear is 100% capable of great sound. 

Question: Are you always talking into the perfect place on the microphone and at the correct distance?

Also, what happens if you don’t process the audio at all? What if you just record your voice to an audio file? Do you get full frequencies or do you hear the same issue? Adjusting settings this way can be a quick way to find the good settings. 

Thank you for the reply! So, let me give some background pertaining to your questions.

For talking, I usually sit down on a desk with my microphone pointed at me with a pop filter. I look at podcast speakers, and approximate the distance based on how they do it (so like how Joe Rogan does it) but now I'm starting to wonder if I'm too close to the microphone.

Also, the way I post-process is by following this video below to a T. I'll post this video ALL THE WAY at the bottom of this post for better readability. 

The only reason I post-process is because I wanted the audio to be better. On its own, it's amazing, but it doesn't have a naturally full sound that drew me to purchase the mic. The parametric equalizer does wonders for me, but using it is not even half the battle. Knowing HOW to balance highs and lows is something I'm working on.

I don't know if it's just me, but if I watch my videos on a phone or tablet, I'll hear noise. I didn't hear hardly any noise after I normalized my audio (at the end of the tutorial video that I, again, will link at the bottom of this post). When I record for my videos, I admittedly make mistakes, and as such cut and sift clips around. The divisions I make, I can sometimes HEAR those divisions on mobile devices (I can hear the audio clip divisions and my mobile device makes a small 'clip' sound), and because there is a very SMALL amount of noise, I can hear the noise too, which I feel like is a bit unprofessional. For reference, I watch professional YouTube video essays for guidance and to see how their audio sounds. KaptainKristian in particular has stellar audio, but there are many youtubers (or just people online) who know their stuff and have audio mastered so well, I don't hear any noise issues.

The noise issues I'm bringing up only occur when I do the normalization process, which is in the link below. Basically, I understand when you make audio levels higher, noise comes with that, but I thought it was strange for the RE20 to produce gain. Do you hear the noise and clipping I'm talking about in my latest vid, or am I just hearing things? Or am I just wrong about everything? Again, only a beginner here.

Here's the tutorial I use (if it's not good I can look at another one): 

1 hour ago, SNJay said:

I feel like my audio balancing may be off, and/or my microphone recording has too much gain

Hi and welcome!  I wonder if you're not overlooking a few basics.  I love your video, and I don't think there are any major audio problems.  The sibilance in your voice may be a bit pronounced, but given the devices on which most people listen to videos, it probably enhances SQ from average computer speakers and inexpensive powered systems (which inures to your favor compared to those mixed for the best audio equipment).  Your background music is a bit down in volume and lacks some weight.

I can't tell from your description if you're concerned about the relative levels and frequency spectra of your voice vs background music, or if there's something else on your mind.  You don't describe your full setup, so we don't know how you're mixing in your background and from what source(s).  First, I think the RE20 has a midbass EQ switch.  If I'm correct, you might want to change its setting to see if that balances out your vocal spectrum (if your voice is what concerns you).  Second, the Cloudlifter is a cool little preamp - but I'm not sure it's helping you the way you're using it.  It minimizes extraneous noise and is a big help when recording acoustic instruments at higher gain levels into the DAW.  But for close mic'ed vocal use, I wonder if it's not extrraneous at best.  I hear no clipping or other serious sonic aberration on one listen through my desktop system.

If the level and/or spectrum of the background music is your concern, you need to look at the entire signal chain from source to recording input to see what's what.  Do the source files sound fine when played back at full listening levels?  Are they mp3s, FLACs, wavs or something else?  Are they being processed in some way during recoding or are they being captured in their native formats? 

I assume you're not running the background in real time while recording your part, so you should be able to edit it fully to get what you want.  If you're using a video production program like Lightworks (my favorite), you should have complete control over every parameter of your audio before you add it.  Hopefully, the above will help you.  I hope you find the solution you want!

FWIW, we don't know what your voice sounds like - so it's hard to know how accurately it's being presented in the video.

I have zero expertise in recording voice - but perhaps don't overthink it? I like clips done by this chap, who doesn't appear to be taking special care - no microphone at exactly the right distance, etc ... I can focus purely on what's he's saying, rather than being constantly aware of the quality of his voice,