IGNORED

Preventing upcut tracks in gapless playback?

Hi all,

I’ve been ripping CDs for years and I’ve always noticed that on some gapless albums, poor mastering (supposedly) is the cause of clicking sounds at the beginning of certain tracks. When you shuffle your music on a computer or device, you hear clicks on gapless album songs, because you are separating audio from its original gapless flow. If you play the songs in the order they are on a CD, you don’t hear any clicks or pops because the songs are flowing properly into each other. 

With respect to CD ripping, do you know any of way the clicking can be prevented?

Change to a different player? I don't hear clicks with Jriver, Roon, Audirvana, but on DSD , HQPlayer can struggle.

The change in volume is instantaneous,  maybe something in the DAC that it needs the don't mute function to be designed properly. For example, Sony TA-ZH1ES hp amp mutes the relay at every track change, sends me nuts with Jriver and Audirvana, but the Accuphase DAC-50 and DC-950  are fine with Jriver and Roon, but plays up with Audirvana. 

The real problem is when the clicks are heard at every start to the track.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Change to a different player? I don't hear clicks with Jriver, Roon, Audirvana, but on DSD , HQPlayer can struggle.

The change in volume is instantaneous,  maybe something in the DAC that it needs the don't mute function to be designed properly. For example, Sony TA-ZH1ES hp amp mutes the relay at every track change, sends me nuts with Jriver and Audirvana, but the Accuphase DAC-50 and DC-950  are fine with Jriver and Roon, but plays up with Audirvana. 

The real problem is when the clicks are heard at every start to the track.

Yes. I’ve noticed with Spotify that when you select a song, the audio fades in. With Apple’s music player, the music just raw-starts. Spotify doesn’t crossfade unless you tell it to, but it still functions in such a way that selecting and pausing tracks gives you a fade-in or fade-out, thus masking any mastering flaws that Apple’s player highlights.

3 hours ago, kirbydoo said:

Yes. I’ve noticed with Spotify that when you select a song, the audio fades in. With Apple’s music player, the music just raw-starts. Spotify doesn’t crossfade unless you tell it to, but it still functions in such a way that selecting and pausing tracks gives you a fade-in or fade-out, thus masking any mastering flaws that Apple’s player highlights.

You may need to adjust DAC synch delay compensation if Apples player has that option.That click may be your DAC getting signal when its not ready/synched.

Players with synch delay option mute volume for the value you select as synch delay time (50~200ms range typically) so that no music signal is sent

before synch lock occurs

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 12:10 AM, davide256 said:

You may need to adjust DAC synch delay compensation if Apples player has that option.That click may be your DAC getting signal when its not ready/synched.

Players with synch delay option mute volume for the value you select as synch delay time (50~200ms range typically) so that no music signal is sent

before synch lock occurs

This is a very interesting point. I don’t know if YouTube also has the synch delay feature enabled for its player. Obviously, Apple does not make use of that because I hear clicks on almost every gapless album. It drives me insane. It doesn’t happen with every single gapless track but it happens with quite a few of them. I know I’m not the only person who gets these resulting clicks because if I look up YouTube videos of the same tracks, you can hear the same clicks in other people’s uploads of their own CD rips. I sincerely hope the clicks aren’t the result of CD ripping being an imperfect process because it’s really the only way to get genuine lossless copies of certain music.

19 hours ago, kirbydoo said:

I know I’m not the only person who gets these resulting clicks because if I look up YouTube videos of the same tracks, you can hear the same clicks in other people’s uploads of their own CD rips.

What You Tube video presents this problem on your system ?

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

37 minutes ago, yamamoto2002 said:

What You Tube video presents this problem on your system ?

Try to see if you can hear a click at the beginning of these videos. This is not the result of a flaw with my system as I own the same CD with the same song and the click is present on that track, but not when I listen to the same track from a streaming platform or the official YouTube upload of the song. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0mR8Jc8Orc&ab_channel=IgnacioRosas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0URdQj3GYc&ab_channel=GabrielBardac

Notice in the official YouTube upload, the click is not present

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddKMuL5O-Eg&ab_channel=Enya-Topic

What is important to notice is that YouTube does make use of a fade-in/synch delay feature so I am suspecting that is why the click is not audible on the official upload.

Just my thoughts 💁‍♂️

ZvAp8pVE

43 minutes ago, yamamoto2002 said:

Audio CD track timing info has only 1/75 seconds precision, so this may be the root cause of the problem. Still a click can be avoided in most cases by choosing carefully track start frame number to the waveform zero-crossing point when authoring CD ...

What do you mean by 1/75 seconds precision? 

Also, I’d agree that more CDs should be authored better.