IGNORED

Article: Review | McIntosh RS200 Wireless Speaker

1 minute ago, charlesphoto said:

As a lifestyle piece there is still a big factor that the mfg left off, the same as Naim with their Muso (I own a first version) and that's the ability to use headphones, wired and/or via bluetooth. Not sure what this oversight is about - the Muso we have is in the bedroom, doubles up as sound for the TV there as well, and often I would like to listen via headphones so as not to disturb others and with no way to do so, end up using headphones plugged into the Roku remote which sounds terrible. A real flaw/oversight imo as to how people actually listen these days. 

OMG!

I seriously never thought about that, but now that I read your comment, it's genius. It make so much sense!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Yeah, it wouldn't have to even be a great output, just something to isolate the sound from the rest of the family while say watching TV late at night. I don't really enjoy music headphone listening myself, but at least like to have the choice. I wonder if one could use the subwoofer output to an HP amp. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

I see this type of unit as being the future of audio, because everything in one box means the engineering of the whole can be got right. Unfortunately, I still don't get any idea of how well it can do in presenting intense, Big Sound from that review, Chris - would be handy to know where you found limitations.

Just found this review, https://www.techhive.com/article/3452520/mcintosh-rs200-review.html, which gives a completely different story on how well it performs ... so, no wiser about its SQ, 🤪.

14 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I see this type of unit as being the future of audio, because everything in one box means the engineering of the whole can be got right. Unfortunately, I still don't get any idea of how well it can do in presenting intense, Big Sound from that review, Chris - would be handy to know where you found limitations.

Just found this review, https://www.techhive.com/article/3452520/mcintosh-rs200-review.html, which gives a completely different story on how well it performs ... so, no wiser about its SQ, 🤪.

I really like Scott Wilkinson and was even a guest on his podcast on Leo Laporte’s Twit network. However, he compared the RS200 to the device below and he thought it sounded much better than the RS200. 

I compared the RS200 to several other high end devices and think it bests them all. 

The Urbanears device is Bluetooth. We all know how that sounds. 

I mean no offense to Scott. He’s a great guy. I just differ with his opinion. 

Urbanears Rålis

1B65255B-1A23-48B0-930A-1557761F1EC8.jpeg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

So, can you relate to anything he said in criticising the sound? Or, do you believe that he would have found the SQ as you heard it from the RS200 to be of a high standard? IOW, that what each of you heard was actually quite different, in an absolute sense, because the samples of the unit were performing differently, in how they were set up and used?

I need one of these in my home office, I think, and I also need MPR to bring back The Jazz Image so that I can give the girls similar memories to my Dad and I listening to it on a tabletop radio in the den.

Chris, do you know if there is a way to set one of the buttons to a tunein radio station? I could set one to MPR and one to Michigan football!

haha!

No electron left behind.

19 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I need one of these in my home office, I think, and I also need MPR to bring back The Jazz Image so that I can give the girls similar memories to my Dad and I listening to it on a tabletop radio in the den.

Chris, do you know if there is a way to set one of the buttons to a tunein radio station? I could set one to MPR and one to Michigan football!

haha!

If MPR and WWJ 950 is what you want, I just did it on presets 3 and 4 via the Internet Radio feature. 

5 hours ago, fas42 said:

Hmmm... Wouldn't it be nice at times like this to just be able to have a look at the frequency response and whether the firmware update actually changed anything as reported by Wilkinson? ;-)

With relatively small drivers, speaker separation of maybe ~15", hardcore audiophiles probably shouldn't expect too much in lifestyle all-in-ones soundwise.

Chris, do you have a picture of the dual 4x6" woofers? How are those arranged? With crossovers identified as 275Hz and 4kHz, it'd be interesting to see how they're orienting those drivers!

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

8 minutes ago, Archimago said:

With relatively small drivers, speaker separation of maybe ~15", hardcore audiophiles probably shouldn't expect too much in lifestyle all-in-ones soundwise.

Correct. It’s all about setting expectations and keeping the right perspective. An NHRA top fuel car wouldn’t do well hauling groceries and my Subaru wouldn’t do well drag racing. My Wilson Alexia speakers don’t fit in my dining room either :~)

8 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Chris, do you have a picture of the dual 4x6" woofers? How are those arranged? With crossovers identified as 275Hz and 4kHz, it'd be interesting to see how they're orienting those drivers!

I don’t. I’ll ask for one as I was wondering the same thing. 

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think you’re hearing the speakers in your computer. 

Well, I watch a video of the capture a live, large scale orchestral performance on my computer, and every auditory cue tells me, this is Big Sound happening. It may not make the room that I am listening in ring from the intensity, but all the clues are there in what I hear - my mind can translate what's going on.

From what I've read in the last hour or so, people either love the unit, or are severely disappointed - very little in the middle.

14 minutes ago, fas42 said:

This review has some pics of those parts, https://blog.son-video.com/en/2019/08/review-mcintosh-rs200/

I see. Speakers at the bottom, ported. The YouTube video actually sounds pretty decent and detailed with headphones. 

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I have a funny feeling that this component would respond very strongly, and positively, to how it was set up in the room - at a guess, on a single, very solid, tallish pillar, no wider than the feet of the base. But of course no normal room would have such a "piece of furniture" ...

are the people judging how this thing sounds by listening to you tube videos serious?? Or am I just not in on the joke ??

I don't get the complaint about lack of a headphone jack either. They decided not to include one. Every product can't meet the expectations/needs of every consumer. I couldn't care less about a headphone jack, but if I did I would just move on. Too many options to bemoan the fact this option doesn't have one. 

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

1 hour ago, bbosler said:

are the people judging how this thing sounds by listening to you tube videos serious?

Unfortunately yes. 

1 hour ago, bbosler said:

I don't get the complaint about lack of a headphone jack either. They decided not to include one. Every product can't meet the expectations/needs of every consumer

I don’t think anyone suggested products must meet everyone’s needs. We simply talked about how cool it would be for a headphone output, especially wireless. Dreaming can be a good thing. 

21 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don’t think anyone suggested products must meet everyone’s needs.

no, but he described the lack of this feature as a "flaw" which prompted my comment.. it was a design decision, not a flaw. I doubt they didn't consider it along with many other features they didn't include. 

In any case,  it doesn't sound very good listening to the you tube video on my monitor speakers, a little tinny with a complete lack of bass....  so I'll pass 😜

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

For those who believe that, say, YouTube clips can't tell the listener something about the system playing - try this for size. Unfortunately in Thai, but go to 7:15, for the meat ...

I had to chuckle when I heard Alan Jackson playing.  Seemed so out of place for any audiophile review, I liked that.  If I were reviewing it, you may have heard something from Slayer's, Reign In Blood album 😉

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

3 hours ago, ShawnC said:

I had to chuckle when I heard Alan Jackson playing.  Seemed so out of place for any audiophile review, I liked that.

why?

A lot of country music along with folk and bluegrass is extremely well recorded not to mention many superb musicians. Alan Jackson's like red on a rose is a great example. I don't see how anything that well recorded would be out of place in an audiophile review. Tim and Molly O'brien's Away Out On the Mountain, most anything in the past 20 years or so by Roseanne Cash, Most of Blue Highway's stuff, and on and on. Check out "Rider on This Train" on Chris Stuart's Mojave River  and "Pallet on Your Floor" on the Krüger Brothers' Remembering Doc Watson... oh, and most of Doc Watson's stuff.

most if not all on Tidal and Qobuz

if unfamiliar with these..... you are welcome