IGNORED

At a crossroads (possibly)

paulr

Evening all,
My current setup is Synology NAS-> Mac Mini running JRMC->Arcam IRDAC->Linn Kairn Pro preamp ->Linn LK140 poweramp ->Harbeth P3ESR speakers. I have a PC also with JRMC to manage my library and use Jremote on ios to control playback. I've had this setup for a couple of years now and mostly happy with the structure/useability. Also mostly happy with the sound......but have considered the DAC maybe in need of an upgrade at some point....
However, what is now 'forcing' my hand is that the DAC will not power up, and is bringing thoughts/questions about ways forward.
In the short term I'm trying to troubleshoot the DAC problem (power, or the DAC itself etc), linked with this is how I can quickly/cheaply get music again - I have a Fiio M9 which can be utilised as a DAC, plus I have an old Squeezebox Touch not doing a lot. 
Main point of this post is: if it turns out DAC is dead I have to decide on what to do. Would I replace the DAC with another (i.e. no structure changes), or am I better to consider some sort of streamer solution (with or without preamp) as a longer term solution. Currently I don't use any online streaming services (Qobuz etc), but I havent ruled it out at some point.
If I spent about £500 on a DAC I'd possibly be wondering if I'd be better off (in several ways) of going down the streamer route (streamer/DAC in one box). 
My general principles are to not have facilities I don't need (e.g. not going to get a box such as Naim ND5 XS2 if it won't improve sound over IRDAC and Linn Kairn preamp), but, if it will sound better I'd consider it (and I'd have one box instead of three). I'd rather spend £2500 if it gave me improved sound, easy useability etc rather than say, £500 to replace what I have.

I'm also aware that a huge amount of useability these days is the software involved......
I'll admit I am in a quandry, and waffling, but hope some folk can understand my apparent dilema. Any advice gratefully recieved.