I have a question for all of you wizards out there. (I didn't see a more appropriate area of the forum for A/C power discussion, so I am posting here.)

I have suspicion that voltage drops / brownouts have caused some havoc on our home-automation control system (Crestron). I am currently researching power conditioners, regenerators, UPS, etc. Even within the confusing, subjective world of audio, this area seems like a particularly dark black hole.

Question: Does anyone know of a device or tool which can be used to monitor a home’s electrical system? I am envisioning a connected device that can be plugged into an A/C outlet and it measures/monitors/logs spikes, surges, dips, noise on the home's wiring. Real time monitoring would be OK, but the real value would be to see the results over a period of time (a week or so).

Any help appreciated. 

Thanks,

Bart

Roon > dCS Bartok > Parasound JC 2BP > Parasound JC 5 > Wilson Yvette

Technics SL-1200G & Bluesound Node > Luxman L-590axII > OJAS Bookshelf w/ Tweeter Horn Mod

https://powersight.com/products/power-analyzers/PS4550/

Look at this little bugger. Apparently you can rent these. I wonder if it would tell me what I need to know in order to determine if a high-priced conditioner, pure-sine UPS, or regenerator would actually benefit my system? 

Technics SL-1200G & Bluesound Node > Luxman L-590axII > OJAS Bookshelf w/ Tweeter Horn Mod

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

Why not use a device by the same company that does the home automation gear? ... There should be some of that infamous "synergy" between items made by the same mob,

https://www.crestron.com/Products/Accessory/Power-Supplies/Power-Conditioners/PC-300

Pretty, pretty, pretty good. Pretty clever. I have seen plenty of conditioners, but not with the monitoring function. While I am not wild about going "deeper in" with Crestron, but this may be a pretty elegant solution. Thanks @fas42

That device would condition and monitor the power supply, but it would not do anything about voltage dips or brownouts, which I suspect is causing some issues. For that, I would need a UPS. I found this on the Crestron site...

https://www.crestron.com/Products/Accessory/Power-Supplies/Uninterruptible-Power-Supplies/CEN-UPS1250

I'm not sure how I would install both? I guess Outlet > UPS > Conditioner?

Also, I should clarify that we have two systems. This query is for our "whole house" distributed A/V system, which I want to keep stable and protected. I am not concerned about audio noise-floor and other audiophilic esoterica. (I have a separate hi-fi, stereo system. That is another story. I may get a dedicated power conditioner or regenerator for that at some point.)

2 hours ago, Temporal_Dissident said:

I'm not sure how I would install both? I guess Outlet > UPS > Conditioner?

Also, I should clarify that we have two systems. This query is for our "whole house" distributed A/V system, which I want to keep stable and protected. I am not concerned about audio noise-floor and other audiophilic esoterica. (I have a separate hi-fi, stereo system. That is another story. I may get a dedicated power conditioner or regenerator for that at some point.)

That's how I would do it.

Yes, treat the serious audio side as something completely different - generally, the better the rig, the more care is needed to fully isolate it from mains noise, etc. The ideal is that doing the worst things possible to inject bad stuff onto the mains makes no audible difference - which would include any interference from the Crestron setup.