IGNORED

Apple M1 chip for music server?

barrows

We’ll, Alex, All the guys in this thread conspired to get to this. What is your next product? A choke-filtered, single dose vaccine for the Covid?

I think it’s high time you give us all some hope by dropping the shoe about your next project.

It requires an inordinate amount of discipline to keep saving five dollars a week without knowing what the money will be spent on. 

Don’t you need a new roof? Maybe a few horses? Necessity is the mother of invention. I read that somewhere.

So?

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

8 hours ago, jacques_racine said:

We’ll, Alex, All the guys in this thread conspired to get to this. What is your next product? A choke-filtered, single dose vaccine for the Covid?

I think it’s high time you give us all some hope by dropping the shoe about your next project.

Okay Jacques, I give in.  No shoes to drop, but here’s a couple of breadcrumbs:

One product involves lasers. The other product uses transmission gates. And there are also two other products, but I have no obscure hints for those. :ph34r: (None of them are Ethernet related.)
That’s all I’ll say for now.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

One product involves lasers. The other product uses transmission gates. And there are also two other products,

🤔🤔🤔 Mmmmm, laser, fiber, non Ethernet it’s a fiber optical usb cable. Of cause with lots of lt3045’s and a crystek 575 in the RX module.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

2 hours ago, RickyV said:

🤔🤔🤔 Mmmmm, laser, fiber, non Ethernet it’s a fiber optical usb cable. Of cause with lots of lt3045’s and a crystek 575 in the RX module.

Maybe the first fiber optical USB cable done right, hopefully with USB-C connectors too?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

• 3 months later...

Are there any feedback on the M1 with HQP?

I also noted that the wattage of M1 is less than 40 watts.  So the Uptone Audio Conversion kit should be able to supply plenty of power. What I dont know if the power cable from this kit to the Mobo on M1 is of the same type as pre 2014 unit or different? If same, the Uptone Audio kit may be back in business and M1 may offer additional attraction?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/mac-mini-power-apple-m1-soc#:~:text=The beefed-up 2020 Mac,predecessor devours 20W of power.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

14 minutes ago, zerung said:

I also noted that the wattage of M1 is less than 40 watts.  So the Uptone Audio Conversion kit should be able to supply plenty of power. What I dont know if the power cable from this kit to the Mobo on M1 is of the same type as pre 2014 unit or different? If same, the Uptone Audio kit may be back in business and M1 may offer additional attraction?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/mac-mini-power-apple-m1-soc#:~:text=The beefed-up 2020 Mac,predecessor devours 20W of power.

I see that this business is being discussed over at the HQ Player thread. But the power conversion still seems to be valid. Thank you for any one who has the answer

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

2 hours ago, zerung said:

Everything is different since the MB in the M1 Mac Mini is so small.

M1 Mac Mini Teardown Disassembly 2020 (M1 close-up in description) - YouTube

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

• 4 months later...
16 hours ago, anhton82 said:

So I can not use older Uptone conversion Psu for Mac M1, correct?

Correct, the kit also wasn't compatible with the latest Mini either. @Superdad, please confirm.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
On 7/16/2021 at 8:18 PM, anhton82 said:

So I can not use older Uptone conversion Psu for Mac M1, correct?

Our dual-output, choke-filtered, 5~7.4A JS-2 linear power supply can easily power any 12V Mac mini (that's 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2020 model years)--as well as all sorts of Intel NUCs and Roon Nucleus+ and SonicTranporters, etc. 

However, our Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK) is only compatible with Mac minis up to the 2014.  In the 2018 ("Space Grey") and 2020 M1 models Apple changed a bunch of connectors (fan is now 6 wires instead of 4?).  We have yet to sit down and engineer a new version of the MMK for the 2018/'20 minis.

Teradak of China has a DC conversion kit for 2018/'20 models (though it does not have any linear control circuit for the fan and it also has a pile of filter capacitors on it--something which we abhor having after a nice clean low-impedance LPS as those can add a lot ESR and "slow down" the dynamics of the supply.)  There are a few JS-2 owners who have paired with a 2020 M1 mini converted with the Teradak kit.

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2021 at 2:44 AM, Superdad said:

Our dual-output, choke-filtered, 5~7.4A JS-2 linear power supply can easily power any 12V Mac mini (that's 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2020 model years)--as well as all sorts of Intel NUCs and Roon Nucleus+ and SonicTranporters, etc. 

However, our Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK) is only compatible with Mac minis up to the 2014.  In the 2018 ("Space Grey") and 2020 M1 models Apple changed a bunch of connectors (fan is now 6 wires instead of 4?).  We have yet to sit down and engineer a new version of the MMK for the 2018/'20 minis.

Teradak of China has a DC conversion kit for 2018/'20 models (though it does not have any linear control circuit for the fan and it also has a pile of filter capacitors on it--something which we abhor having after a nice clean low-impedance LPS as those can add a lot ESR and "slow down" the dynamics of the supply.)  There are a few JS-2 owners who have paired with a 2020 M1 mini converted with the Teradak kit.

Many thanks for your guide.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just removed an M1 Mac Mini as a music server from my system and as a test I put in a Roon Nucleus. I needed to prove to myself there was a difference and a dedicated server would actually make a sonic difference...It was immediately noticeable, like lifting a veil, lowering the noise floor in ever way. 

I immediately posted the MM for sale, returned the Roon Nucleus and ordered an Antipodes K50 and never looked back. I completely understand the reasons to run a simple computer (to get Roon for example), but you just need to understand it's a compromise in almost every way sonically. For me personally, I have some more expensive gear so it made sense, but the revelation was eye opening for me in my hifi journey. 

Amp=Sugden IA4

Source=MSB Discrete DAC

Speakers=SF Heritage/Amator

Sub=Rel T5i

Antipodes K50

3 hours ago, skids929 said:

I just removed an M1 Mac Mini as a music server from my system and as a test I put in a Roon Nucleus. I needed to prove to myself there was a difference and a dedicated server would actually make a sonic difference...It was immediately noticeable, like lifting a veil, lowering the noise floor in ever way. 

I immediately posted the MM for sale, returned the Roon Nucleus and ordered an Antipodes K50 and never looked back. I completely understand the reasons to run a simple computer (to get Roon for example), but you just need to understand it's a compromise in almost every way sonically. For me personally, I have some more expensive gear so it made sense, but the revelation was eye opening for me in my hifi journey. 

What was the reason for going for the k50 rather than sticking with the nucleus?

25 minutes ago, barbz said:

What was the reason for going for the k50 rather than sticking with the nucleus?

great question and no rational answer other than sort of system matching with other equipment I currently own at the level of the K50. Also the Nucleus was an improvement but definitely lacked some musicality. It was clear and resolute, if not a little dry. My experience with Audio over the years has proven I would always wonder, trade in and out alot of gear, so just go for what I want and what matches out of the gate and save the time and money cycling equipment. 

25 minutes ago, barbz said:

Amp=Sugden IA4

Source=MSB Discrete DAC

Speakers=SF Heritage/Amator

Sub=Rel T5i

Antipodes K50