IGNORED

Apple M1 chip for music server?

Surprised there was not thread on this yet, so here we are.  Apple has not rally released details yet on this chip, I am wondering how fast it is really going to be.  For example, will it possibly be fast enough to run HQPlayer with EC modulators for conversions to DSD 256?  Too much to ask for perhaps?

I really like using a Mac Mini as a server in my (optically Networked) set up.

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

14 minutes ago, matthias said:

I do not think that the M1 is powerful enough for EC modulators.

But they are working on a new smaller Mac Pro which could be fit for the task.

Matt

While I kind of figured that it would be too good to be possible, what are you basing your opinion on?  My understanding is that for Intel, a I7-9700K is the necessary "minimum" (those chips are selling pretty cheap these days as well).  Jussi says base clock rate is generally the dominating factor when trying to run HQP 4 and the EC modulators

and the I7-9700K runs at a base rate of 3.6 GHz.  So far I have seen no info on clock rates for the M1.

As Apple has said they will transition fully to their own chips throughout the line within the next two years, I am sure we will see more powerful chips from them for Mac Pro desktops, and super high performance laptops.

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

2 minutes ago, barrows said:

While I kind of figured that it would be too good to be possible, what are you basing your opinion on?  My understanding is that for Intel, a I7-9700K is the necessary "minimum" (those chips are selling pretty cheap these days as well).  Jussi says base clock rate is generally the dominating factor when trying to run HQP 4 and the EC modulators

and the I7-9700K runs at a base rate of 3.6 GHz.  So far I have seen no info on clock rates for the M1.

As Apple has said they will transition fully to their own chips throughout the line within the next two years, I am sure we will see more powerful chips from them for Mac Pro desktops, and super high performance laptops.

I just think that the base clock rate might be too low for EC modulators. But I am sure someone will try the new Mini and share the results.

As you said the M1 is just the beginning. They will launch in the next years more powerful processors. This M1 generation computers are not yet a perfect match for the new chips, we will have to wait for 2021 or 2022 for this.

Maybe Jussi will make some changes for HQP as well for the new ARM based architecture, we will see.

Matt

I could not find exact numbers on clock speed yet, but this might be some indication (from the Mac mini main page):

"Testing conducted by Apple in October 2020 using preproduction Mac mini systems with Apple M1 chip, and production 3.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i3-based Mac mini systems, all configured with 16GB of RAM and 2TB SSD. Prerelease Final Cut Pro 10.5 tested using a 55-second clip with 4K Apple ProRes RAW media, at 4096x2160 resolution and 59.94 frames per second, transcoded to Apple ProRes 422. Performance tests are conducted using specific computer systems and reflect the approximate performance of Mac mini."

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Likely in future they'll have also bigger CPUs with more cores and maybe the low power cores dropped out to make space for more big ones.

Yep for the iMac's and Mac Pro coming next year. They won't have to worry as much about efficiency and can go for more performance than M1

In my reading on the Apple site, the Mac Mini will still have a fan. Much of the non-Apple software will need to be re-written/compiled for the M1.

[Home Digital] Bricasti M12 > DIY M2x Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > K&K Audio Phono Amp (Zu DL-103/Benz Glider-SL/Denon DL-301 II)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Focal Utopia Headphones (balanced)

[beach/Travel] Laptop > DragonFly Red > Ether Headphones