IGNORED

Apple M1 chip for music server?

barrows

2 minutes ago, barrows said:

While I kind of figured that it would be too good to be possible, what are you basing your opinion on?  My understanding is that for Intel, a I7-9700K is the necessary "minimum" (those chips are selling pretty cheap these days as well).  Jussi says base clock rate is generally the dominating factor when trying to run HQP 4 and the EC modulators

and the I7-9700K runs at a base rate of 3.6 GHz.  So far I have seen no info on clock rates for the M1.

As Apple has said they will transition fully to their own chips throughout the line within the next two years, I am sure we will see more powerful chips from them for Mac Pro desktops, and super high performance laptops.

I just think that the base clock rate might be too low for EC modulators. But I am sure someone will try the new Mini and share the results.

As you said the M1 is just the beginning. They will launch in the next years more powerful processors. This M1 generation computers are not yet a perfect match for the new chips, we will have to wait for 2021 or 2022 for this.

Maybe Jussi will make some changes for HQP as well for the new ARM based architecture, we will see.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jacques_racine said:

Miska - do not underestimate yourself... You can do this!

For me the big question is.... How to provide clean, Uptoned power to this new MacMini... Like many, I have a 2014 mini w Uptone kit. Since I got my Aqua LinQ, I have been tortured with this thought...  Would a better server (SonicTransporter? Summus?) help? Now what about a M1 Mini?

@Superdad?

Matt

2 hours ago, RickyV said:

🤔🤔🤔 Mmmmm, laser, fiber, non Ethernet it’s a fiber optical usb cable. Of cause with lots of lt3045’s and a crystek 575 in the RX module.

Maybe the first fiber optical USB cable done right, hopefully with USB-C connectors too?

Matt