IGNORED

How to convert SACD's to play on Roon?

43 minutes ago, LarryMagoo said:

After looking at something like 18 steps for each disc, $5 for Stereo/disc sounds worth it to have a service do it!

That may be how it looks from your present perspective but, as with most learned procedures, it becomes easier and quicker with a little experience (and you no longer have to read the instructions).  I can set up a disc for ripping in 30seconds, most of it just waiting for the player to boot and for the tray to open.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

15 minutes ago, LarryMagoo said:

Thanks Kal for the reply!  I guess I’ll give it a try....why not?

Since you have a 105, why not?  In my experience, the first couple of times will be finicky but the pleasure of the successes will motivate you.  I am doing some right now!

Kal Rubinson

16 hours ago, LarryMagoo said:

After looking at something like 18 steps for each disc, $5 for Stereo/disc sounds worth it to have a service do it!

There aren't 18 steps for each disc at all.

Just put the proper AutoScript folder onto a USB flash drive, install Java (64-bit) on a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer, and then install SACDExtractGUI on that computer, and away you go.

Just a few clicks of setup in the GUI, and you are ripping. Very easy with an Oppo player.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

I’ve ripped over a hundred SACDs via my BDP105 and can confirm that once set up it’s a really simple process.  It does take longer to rip than a CD (about 25 mins from memory).

It was some time ago, but I found this post from @Grill offered the clearest and simplest explanation in a long thread:

47 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Just put the proper AutoScript folder onto a USB flash drive, install Java (64-bit) on a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer, and then install SACDExtractGUI on that computer, and away you go.

But that is only the first time.  Afterwards, it is just

Insert USB drive or skip this step.  (I leave the USB drive in as that is all I use the Oppo for these days.)

Load disc and hit close.

Click on "SACDExtractGUI"  (already installed and set up the first time).

Click on "Run."

When it tells you that it is done, rinse and repeat.

Kal Rubinson

52 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

There aren't 18 steps for each disc at all.

OK but how to I change the new default target directory structure?

It defaults to folder structure like this: "Album name/(Disc no)/(Stereo or 5ch or 6ch)."

I want just  "Album name."

Can you help?

Kal Rubinson

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

OK but how to I change the new default target directory structure?

It defaults to folder structure like this: "Album name/(Disc no)/(Stereo or 5ch or 6ch)."

I want just  "Album name."

Can you help?

That I do not know except to say there is an sacd_extract.cfg file available with the .88 version of sacd_extract that in theory could be used for that. I don't see anything obvious in the readme.txt about exactly how to do that.

@EugenF, can the config file be used to name the folder in the manner Kal describes (i.e. the album name only)?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

36 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

That I do not know except to say there is an sacd_extract.cfg file available with the .88 version of sacd_extract that in theory could be used for that. I don't see anything obvious in the readme.txt about exactly how to do that.

@EugenF, can the config file be used to name the folder in the manner Kal describes (i.e. the album name only)?

I ask because the default creates a tiered directory structure which complicates my efforts to further process and distribute the files produced.  AFAIK, this was introduced on the most recent version and the results surprised me.

Kal Rubinson

I use sacd_extract on my Linux NAS and simply point Roon to the root Music storage:

$ sacd_extract -I -i192.168.1.xxx:2002

sacd_extract -s -P -i 'Axis Bold As Love'/'Axis Bold As Love'.iso

admittedly you may want to create subdirs for each artist and cd to the subdir before copying the iso over the network

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

24 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I use sacd_extract on my Linux NAS and simply point Roon to the root Music storage:

$ sacd_extract -I -i192.168.1.xxx:2002

sacd_extract -s -P -i 'Axis Bold As Love'/'Axis Bold As Love'.iso

admittedly you may want to create subdirs for each artist and cd to the subdir before copying the iso over the network

I am trying to avoid such activities.  Prior versions of SACDExtractGUI automatically created a single file with the album name in my temporary storage directory.  It created, depending on the task XXXX.iso, a directory of DSFs with the title XXX or both.  Simple and clean but now it creates nested structures.

Kal Rubinson

27 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I am trying to avoid such activities.  Prior versions of SACDExtractGUI automatically created a single file with the album name in my temporary storage directory.  It created, depending on the task XXXX.iso, a directory of DSFs with the title XXX or both.  Simple and clean but now it creates nested structures.

I get it.

If you are using a program infrequently, a GUI is best because it presents the options. You can then drag-and-drop the nested subdirs into whatever structure you are using 

the structure Artist/Album/5.1/*.DSF or .../stereo/*.DSF isn't unreasonable

Roon doesn't care it will find albums regardless of the directory nesting

If you are using the program frequently, then time to consider command line and scripts to automate getting things done the way you want...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I've converted many SACD's (several hundred) using a modified Sony Playstation PS3.  I bought it converted from a friend.  Once converted it is very simple to rip SACD's.  I normally rip to an ISO file and then convert to both stereo and mch albums (for those that have both).  I bought an Oppo 105 as a back up (and to play blurays on my system) but haven't used the ripping function yet.  

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

55 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I get it.

If you are using a program infrequently, a GUI is best because it presents the options. You can then drag-and-drop the nested subdirs into whatever structure you are using 

the structure Artist/Album/5.1/*.DSF or .../stereo/*.DSF isn't unreasonable

I am afraid you don't get it.  I do not want any structure on this PC because I need the easiest output to enable me to export the ISOs and the DSFs, individually, to different places.  

All I want are an ISO and a directory of the DSFs with the same name but not in the same folder/directory.  The GUI did that until the latest update where the default is as stated.  I don't want it.

58 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Roon doesn't care it will find albums regardless of the directory nesting

Roon never sees this PC.  

59 minutes ago, jabbr said:

If you are using the program frequently, then time to consider command line and scripts to automate getting things done the way you want...

Is there a script to automatically create the file and folder names from the data without a need for me to enter them in the script or create them in advance?

Kal Rubinson

2 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

All I want are an ISO and a directory of the DSFs with the same name but not in the same folder/directory.  The GUI did that until the latest update where the default is as stated.  I don't want it.

You have the ability to roll back by means of substituting the version of sacd_extract in use, it isn't actually the GUI itself that is doing what you describe, it is sacd_extract.

For your specific purposes, just roll back to v.87 or earlier (I believe) and you'll be right back to where you were. 

Alternatively, you can also roll back further to Setmind's original fork, as it too works perfectly well with the GUI.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

3 hours ago, LarryMagoo said:

The more I read these replies the more $5/disc transfer price seems the way to go to avoid headaches and maybe messing up your whole collection?    

Only if you have a very small collection of SACDs, otherwise $5/disc adds up VERY fast.

You can buy a rip compatible player on eBay for around $25, and the rip software is free. Certainly that's a much better deal, and I don't know why you'd be so sure of how difficult this is without first having tried it.

Trust me, it isn't hard, thousands of people have done it including many who are not particularly computer proficient. the specific use case described by Kal probably has no bearing at all on you personally, it's just a workflow he has developed over many years time that was slightly interrupted due to a change in the way the software works.

Probably not a big concern for you, or very many people, but Kal has refined and developed a specific workflow and doesn't want it to change. Thats his personal preference, but don't automatically assume that he is describing anything that would cause you some big problem.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

49 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Only if you have a very small collection of SACDs, otherwise $5/disc adds up VERY fast.

You can buy a rip compatible player on eBay for around $25, and the rip software is free. Certainly that's a much better deal, and I don't know why you'd be so sure of how difficult this is without first having tried it.

Yes.  I have been pushing him this way.

49 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Probably not a big concern for you, or very many people, but Kal has refined and developed a specific workflow and doesn't want it to change. Thats his personal preference, but don't automatically assume that he is describing anything that would cause you some big problem.

Yes.  My workflow is efficient for me but (1) my configuration is unusual and complex and (2) the system I complained about works just fine.  It is perfectly logical and suitable, it's just not ideal for ME.

Kal Rubinson