IGNORED

Which M.2 NVME SSD's work in which NUC's?

Doesn't look like Intel keeps up their compatibility listing once they move on to a next years model.

I'd like to test a 1TB M.2 NVME SSD in an 8i7BEH, basically to see if it equals NAS and/or speeds up load speeds to buffer with Euphony from the latest crop

of NVME M.2 storage. The latest crop as I understand it doesn't use SATA so some hope that it doesn't have the colorations of local SATA data retrieval.

Asking folks to post if they have success with NUC M.2 what make/model NUC and make/model M.2 NVME storage they used, hopefully

can help others who want to try NVME internal storage.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I've ordered a 1 TB Samsung Evo 970 plus, suspect its only going to operate in SATA mode for the NUC as the Optane disk shows SATA mode in BIOS. If

its incompatible for some reason I can try replacing my SSD boot drive in the newer hardware ATX board PC, although windows can throw fits if boot drive

access method changes. Main reason I'm hot to try this is annoyance at slow buffer speeds from NAS using Stylus/HQPlayer. Per browsing I've done

newer NVME drives/mobo HW can support faster speeds, use PCI-E access in preference to SATA

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/sata-3-vs-m-2-vs-nvme-overview-and-comparison/

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

umm, didn't take that long to compare. NVME drive is blazing fast, buffer of a 192/24 album is done in a split second. No tonal colorations but the irritants

that bothered me with SSD were still present, can't really continue with it because I find myself wanting to turn off the music and do something else. I honestly

don't think the drive is the culprit, beginning to believe you need better designed HW solution for SSD and M.2 connection than what NUC provides.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...

I think you’ll get the most change in the direction you’re looking for by changing your DAC. The Mojo is an impressive device - I had one. The Hugo2 is better if you still want portable. If you want a warmer or less “irritating(?)” sound you might want to move away from Chord, however. They’re very clear and precise but I can’t listen for too long through my Utopias and Hugo2 even on the softest filter. 

On 11/21/2020 at 5:03 PM, rhmmmm said:

I think you’ll get the most change in the direction you’re looking for by changing your DAC. The Mojo is an impressive device - I had one. The Hugo2 is better if you still want portable. If you want a warmer or less “irritating(?)” sound you might want to move away from Chord, however. They’re very clear and precise but I can’t listen for too long through my Utopias and Hugo2 even on the softest filter. 

The Mojo was a surprise, I just wanted a better DAC for iPhone but it ended up kicking a Gumby out of the system. Agree with what you are saying,

that spending more money is wise, headed towards a Qutest sometime next year because of price and because of existing cable investments... the mini cables are a PITA for main system use and have a dearth of good quality options. But in the purchase queue before that are several other components... might even be a Qutest II out by the time I get to replacing the Mojo 😉

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Had to spend a bit more time with the NVME drive, a loose DC PS  connector caused the Optane drive to fail. It did not improve over the week it took  to

get new Optane memory/drive, even as only an OS drive I still preferred the Optane drive after it  was replaced. Would have thought they would be similar but perhaps the lower latency of Optane does matter in audio NUC

https://www.quora.com/Is-Intel-Optane-faster-than-NVMes

Moved the NVME drive and cloned Windows OS to it, just had to change Windows OS in BIOS from CSM to UEFI for it to boot up. Definitely faster than the  Crucial MX SSD I was using so the money spent on the experiment wasn't a loss.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system