IGNORED

exaSound E68 Stereo DSD512 and 8-Channel DSD256 DAC

Well, the miniXLRs on my e38II were a bit fiddly to set up but they are just fine in use.  Of course, I do not subscribe to your presumption "but does one really want to use any adapters on a device at this level where usually high-end XLR cables will be at work, at least, when using amps optimized for XLR usage."  

If you are going to be a dog-in-the-manger, take a look at the Okto DAC8. 

OTOH, you might just wait.............

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

On 11/6/2020 at 4:45 PM, fds said:

According to my understanding, it is the USB usage in bulk mode on the E68 (as opposed to class compliant on the Okto) that is needed to make 8-channel DSD256 viable via USB in the first place. Maybe this imposes the DSD128 limit on the Okto DAC8.

I suspect this is so.

On 11/6/2020 at 4:45 PM, fds said:

Yes, maybe just let's wait a bit longer ...

Hopefully, not too much longer.

Kal Rubinson

6 hours ago, fds said:

After reading more about the E68 (and E38II), it now seems to me that these units are not compatible with Linux-based devices. Thus, it seems that it would not work with my OpticalRendu or with AudioLinux/Euphony/Stylus/... so missing regular size XLR outputs do not seem to be the only issue. 

I understand that and I am sympathetic.  There are precious few options for those of us interested in multichannel playback apart from the use of HT devices.  When one makes additional demands, such as insistence on XLR output or direct USB connection, the options shrivel even more.  The farther one goes from the mainstream, the harder one has to work.

Sure, none of the exaSound DACs is Linux compatible (and that is unfortunate, imho) but I think that your disdain for Ethernet is unfounded.  Running an e38II via a Sigma streamer obviates that problem for me. 

Instead of a long XLR all the way to your speakers (or switch) with a miniXLR on the DAC output, I suggest you buy/build short miniXLR-to-XLR cable to connect to a long(er) standard cable to minimize the physical stress on the mini.  Pay attention paid to the miniXLR connector itself.    I like the REANs.

Kal Rubinson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cjf said:

For a moment I was a bit salty to see this unit being released just after I purchased a HAPI but after reading the output voltage specs on the S88 I don't feel bad now. No doubt for most 4v will be fine but I need at least 6v in my setup.

The 4v output is sufficient to drive my AHB2 amps in their intermediate gain option.

Kal Rubinson

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

Instead for any tv watching in family room, I could simply use tv speakers (built in Dolby Atmos) - or better yet, connect toslink cable from tv out to s88 and then I'd get stereo from tv, right?

I am having a hard time following you and distinguishing from your post what is directly relevant to this question but..............

If both the s88 and the Marantz are connected to your amps/speakers, yes.

12 minutes ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

(I do not want to use a multichannel switcher. My family area is for ME now (kids moved out, my wife passed away some years ago) so long as childproof for grandchild. George at Exasound said the Parasound 7.1 switcher works nice but is a bit of sonic degradation and I don't want that.)

Agreed.  I keep the Parasound for convenient access to other-than-server sources but it is a sonic compromise.  I prefer my Coleman 7.1SW switcher.  Another option is a trio/quartet of the NobSound passive switches.

14 minutes ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

Kal, any device that can take HDMI eArc out from TV and convert bitsteam t o 48k 5.1 Ch to send to s88; and if there is such a device will s88 digital to analog convert the signal and output multichannel analog? 

(I doubt it.) x 2

Kal Rubinson

2 hours ago, mevdinc said:

Latest smart TVs should output multichannel via digital out.

Not in a useful format for audiophile DACs.  Their MCH output is in the form of compressed DD/dts/Auro streams which require a decoder not included in such DACs.  

Kal Rubinson

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

Kal, do you or anyone have any tips/shortcuts for me in experiencing the sonic nirvana potential of the s88?

Nope.  Enjoy it.

Should I upsample everything to DSD, 2 x DSD, 4 x DSD and/or upsample all PCM to 384-24? Any other suggestions.

I rarely ever upsample anything except for testing.

Should I consider getting HQ player or some other software to use in conjunction with ROON?

Try it.  I use JRiver most of the time.

2 hours ago, fds said:

Highly recommended to give this a try ...

Why not?

Kal Rubinson

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Desertpilot said:

As I understand it, I should use the Exasound asio driver and via USB send the file from my computer to the S88.  Correct?

Yes or via LAN.

51 minutes ago, Desertpilot said:

Lastly, does the S88 DAC also function as a so-called network bridge? 

Yes.

Kal Rubinson

13 minutes ago, Desertpilot said:

After a couple emails with George, I ordered the S88.  Build will take a couple weeks.  I also ordered the Teddy Pardo power supply.  Interestingly, I asked about using my homebuilt Core i7 Windows 10 computer (JRiver pulling files from my NAS). 

Congratulations.  I am using a similar setup.

Kal Rubinson

1 hour ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

Posted at ROON Community forum link follows: At End of MultiChannel DSD256 Albums Always a Loud Pop That Can Blow Tweeters But Only If Speaker Distance Settings Are Enabled! - Roon Software - Roon Labs Community

If you use ROON for multi-channel and have some DSD256 multi-channel albums, or if you can upsample to DSD256, please play the very end of the albums at a low level (so you do not get loud pops to blow out your tweeters) and tell us if you also get the loud pops. Before you try this, go into the DSP settings and set and apply speaker distances. In my system, with my previous Sonic Transporter i7, and now with my Exasound Delta server, this occurs. Its obviously the “fault” of the ROON software, not the servers, because it occurs with both servers whenever DSD256 multi-channel is played AND speaker distances are enabled in the DSP settings. I did a ROON support tag on this several months ago but ROON has done nothing to remedy this. Its especially frustrating because I have some native DSD256 Yuko Mabuchi and other stuff and if I want to play at a good level, I need to downsample to DSD128 to avoid the loud pop that can blow my tweeters!

Tried that exactly and there are no loud pops.  Not with Jriver either.

Kal Rubinson

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Desertpilot said:

I do not mind this PCM conversion to 5.1 as I always used this option prior to installing the S88.  I prefer multichannel and I liked having JRiver convert all my CDs (typically FLAC) to 5.1 channels. 

I do not understand what you are describing.  AFAIK, setting the output to 5.1 should never do any conversion or up-mixing.  All it forces is a remapping of the source number of channels into the 5.1 package.  In my experience, this re-mapping is almost always correct and there is never a conversion.  If you are experiencing something else, such as up-mixing, you have other settings involved somewhere. 

23 hours ago, Desertpilot said:

Channel mapping is correct.

That's all you need, right?

Kal Rubinson

1 hour ago, Desertpilot said:

I researched the Coleman 7.1SW Channel switcher.  It shows a DB25 connector on the back panel.. Am I looking at the correct item?  I checked Amazon and they offer DB25 to XLR Female.  Is this the correct choice?

Yes.  There are many sources for such cables.  I use Seismic Audio.

Kal Rubinson

2 hours ago, exa said:

Hi Kal,

In my experience selecting anything different than "Source number of channels" in the JRiver DSP Studio causes up-conversion. It is visible in the signal path.  I asked JRiver several times about it and never got an answer. I haven't found what causes it, so in the jRiver tutorial we recommended using "Source number of channels". Any ideas what is causing it?

Hi George-

It may be semantics.  There are many external programs for audio formatting that will do channel remapping without changing any of the content/format/structure of the individual channels.   It is conceivable that one can call this a "conversion" since the source file is, say, FR/FL/SR/SL in 16/48 while the output file is FR/FL/_/_/SR/SL  in a 5.1 (6channel) file.  But, if all the active channels are still in their original 16/48, isn't that just a remapping and what Jriver is doing in real time?  

When I do this in Jriver the results suggest this so but I have no insight into the actual process.  In your screen grab, the only content that is explicitly converted is content <44.1kHz material.   Note that, just below the selection for output channels, there's another check-box for "No upmixing or downmixing" further suggesting is just a re-mapping.

Kal Rubinson

52 minutes ago, Desertpilot said:

However, it also changed 2 channel stereo files in to 5.1 multichannel files.  

What are you saying?  When this occurs and you play the 5.1 files, how many speakers are making sound?

When I do this, only the original R/L signals play through the FR/FL speakers and the rest of the speakers are silent.  If you are getting any output from any other speakers, you have made other settings to "upmix" the source.

Kal Rubinson

9 minutes ago, exa said:

When I play stereo PCM with the DSP Setting as shown on the screenshot above, I get sound only from the outputs 1 and 2 of the s88 DAC.  This is L/R channels and it is all good.

The strange thing is the Signal Path window shows conversion from 2 to 6 channels. I guess we can disregard it.

I think so as I have the same results.  Unless upmixing/downmixing is invoked, there is only remapping.

Kal Rubinson