IGNORED

exaSound E68 Stereo DSD512 and 8-Channel DSD256 DAC

Hi Ted,

can't say if two linear PSUs would make a difference. My experience is suggesting that it doesn't. The opposite may be true. All the tests I ran with replacing a swiching mode power supply (for DIGITAL equipment) with a linear type have worked, but it didn't become better!

Looking forward to hear how it works within your setup! 

Regards, SMSWAP

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief update: Have tried 2nd the Teddy Pardo linear PSU on the s88 "digital" power supply. It sounds different, but to me, it doesn't sound better!

It appears that the switching mode PSU (default of the s88) is superior for digital circuitry.

Has anybody else tried it as well? Any experience?

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys,

you asked for an evaluation of the MKII version. This is my personal assessment:

The MKII version comes with an improved analogue output stage and some nice features in software.

Now, how does it sound: Magnificent! I have used the Okto DAC8 Pro in the meantime. Returning to the s88 MKII gives a boost in resolution and smoothness, a super-tight and controlled bass and sounds much (!) better than the Okto and better than ever before.

For existing user, the update price is absolutely fair. My recommendation: Go for it!

Cheers, Ralf

P.S. Switch to fast roll-off lin phase filter in the DAC chip. That's much better than the default!

• 1 month later...

I have been following the latest discussion for a while. Interesting to note, that the USB and LAN doesn't make any difference in your setup.

Have you also tried a direct LAN connection? Using a 2nd Ethernet card/ adapter in the server you may want to connect with static IPs directly into your s88. 

Any thoughts or experience on this?

Let's clarify it. This isn't a discussion about snake oil requiring you to purchase a 2kUSD Ethernet switch.

Routing audio via Ethernet is common in the pro world. Based on the nature of audio (=stream) and the fact that many of the audio over Ethernet protocols use PTPv2 timing general purpose switches may not do the trick. The pro guys have then started using high quality managed switches (such as those from Cisco) to configure them differently. See the Merging Technologies website for some sample configurations.

Physical separation is done inside the s88. Alternative: Use high quality medial Ethernet galvanic isolators.

Routing audio traffic in a separate network (with static IP) does the trick. Of course, it does require your NAS or server having at least two Ethernet ports (You may also use a USB/ Ethernet adapter instead). On is connected to your Internet general purpose switch and the other one to the audio only network.

By doing so, it keeps any noise away from the audio part.

Hi Guys,

in the meantime I have been able to test the separate Ethernet networks.

The server connects via a PCI network card (in the server) with a dedicated static IP to a CISCO managed switch (350 series) configured for audio (actually for Ravenna). The s88 had been given a static IP as well and has been connected to the switch.

You could now plug/ unplug cables (and change the s88 from static to dynamic IP) to compare the two different set-ups.

Conclusion: There's a marginal change in sound, but not for the better with the CISCO switch. It was worth trying. The s88 works very well in the shared IP traffic environment. No need to separate audio, unless you would be lacking Ethernet sockets in your home.

Cheers, Ralf

• 4 months later...

I agree. The s88 can handle 8x full DSD streams. That's awesome!

My current server running Roon cannot handle DSD with 8 path convolution filters. It stutters. But, its about 4 years old. If you want to go to the extreme, your processor must be more powerful. In the Roon community it was reported, that it runs smoothly on a latest i9 with proper board and memory.

Cheers, Ralf