IGNORED

exaSound E68 Stereo DSD512 and 8-Channel DSD256 DAC

Maybe some dumb questions, but here goes.

I just ordered a pair of high end speakers in the $4,500 each range (will be stereo initially but later multichannel).  My understanding is that they are very resolving so I should clean up my system to make sure quality music is sent to my speakers.  Currently, classical and jazz/blues music (mostly DSD256, DSD64 and 24/192) is stored on my QNAP NAS.  I use JRiver on my homebuilt computer to access music files, convert to PCM 24/192, and send it via HDMI (NVidia video card) to Marantz AV8805.  The Marantz does the digital to analog conversion and sends the analog signal to my amplifier, Parasound Halo A52+.  In my current multichannel system my speakers (about $500 each, designed for home theater) do not resolve well enough to hear any problems.  But, my new speakers may demand better.

As I understand it, I should use the Exasound asio driver and via USB send the file from my computer to the S88.  Correct?  The S88 takes the file and does "magic" to make sure it is "perfect".  Computers, theoretically, are messy (distortion, clock problems, etc.).  The S88 cleans all that up? 

The S88 also converts DSD to analog which I will send to the Marantz (not my amplifier).  I would also benefit from the S88's ability to convert DSD to analog?

Lastly, does the S88 DAC also function as a so-called network bridge? 

Thank you very much.

Marcus

Las Vegas, NV

After a couple emails with George, I ordered the S88.  Build will take a couple weeks.  I also ordered the Teddy Pardo power supply.  Interestingly, I asked about using my homebuilt Core i7 Windows 10 computer (JRiver pulling files from my NAS).  He said he uses two different home built Windows computers for testing and I should be fine.  The S88 is likely to show up about the same time as my new speakers.  It will be a wild (but exciting) time getting everything set up.

Marcus

Las Vegas

Kal, thank you very much for your encouraging words.

Why am I doing this?  I ordered Spatial Audio Lab X3 open baffle speakers for my new left/right channels.  All users of these speakers use high quality DACS.  I'm 70 and now retired.  I want to indulge myself before my hearing goes away (LOL).  Also, I enjoy providing "cogent" commentary on classical SACDs on HRAudio.net.  It occurred to me that I cannot provide adequate commentary unless I use a highly resolving system.  This will, I hope, provide me with lots of enjoyment and encouragement to continue providing commentary.

Marcus

Las Vegas

Once the S88 arrives, I'll need to make a decision.  Do I use my Marantz AV8805 pre/pro using analog in from the S88?  Or, do I connect directly from the S88 to my amplifier?

George informed me that if I use the JRiver WDM driver, I can play the audio from Windows Apps like Amazon Music HD, Netflix, etc. through JRiver and then through the S88.  I tested this yesterday (well, not including the S88 yet) and it works just fine.  I don't even see an audio/video sync issue.  I have an older OPPO (BDP93) SACD player that I can COAX out to the S88 (I know, stereo only).  I hardly ever use it anymore since all music is ripped to my NAS.  And my Panasonic BD player I can Optical out to the S88.  I hardly use this device anymore either since all movies (including 4K) are ripped to my NAS.  My projector has three HDMI video inputs for video from my computer, OPPO and BD Player.

Given my situation, I think I will connect the S88 via XLR directly to my amplifier and XLR to my subwoofers.  I like the idea that the S88 will play every file natively (stereo or multichannel) with no up sampling.  If someone sees a big advantage to routing audio through the Marantz, please let me know.  I have about another week before the S88 arrives.

Thanks!  Marcus

My S88 was shipped last week.  FedEx is still showing it is in MEMPHIS, TN.  Customs maybe or coming via ground shipping to Las Vegas.  I did get in the optional Teddy Pardo power supply.  The owner's manual says "one full week" of burn-in time.  Also, turn on 30 minutes prior to using so the internal capacitors can get up to a full charge.

I guess my question is:  Do any of you simply turn on the S88 and both power supplies and just leave them on 24/7?  I think that would be my plan.

Marcus

1 hour ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

Me too - usually. If I turn off for nite, in the morning when I turn back on I can hear it takes awhile to sound its best. Not so when leave it on.

Make sure Customs isn't continuing to hold for paperwork. Customs in Memphis is quite incompetent. Exasound provides the correct international shipment paperwork to FedEx, but in my experience customs never can find the paperwork and Exasound has to send it to them at least once extra time. 

Thanks for the tip.  If no action tomorrow, I'll email George to see if he can push it along.

Marcus

I emailed George this morning and he replied very quickly (nice).  He said he will check into the delay in Memphis, TN.  He said this is not unusual.  I hope he can coax the S88 out of customs so FedEx can get it to me here in Las Vegas, NV.

Thanks again for the tip about customs in Memphis.  Interesting that I got the Teddy Pardo power supply from Israel last week.

Marcus

@Steve Bruzonsky, Thanks for sharing your opinion of the S88.  Yes, I'm anxious to get it installed.  I just purchased and installed two Spatial Audio Lab X3 (open baffle) speakers.  50 inches tall with a 15 inch powered subwoofer, 12 inch passive mid range and an Air Motion Tweeter in a wave guide.  I am blown away using these new speakers.  I own mostly classical in DSD and PCM.  If the speakers pass the 60 day in home trial, I will likely buy a third one for the center channel.

Can't wait to try these new speakers with the S88.

Marcus

Las Vegas

Installed the S88 today.  A bit complicated.  A few items did not work as expected.  A couple hours passed and suddenly - working.  I plan on leaving the S88 on 24/7.  There are a couple items that I will contact exaSound about for their help resolving, tomorrow.  New firmware.  Upgraded without difficulty.  Installed exaSound Windows ASIO driver.  No issues.

Results:  Still too early to tell.  Plus, apparently warm up and burn-in are issues to consider.  Leaving it on all night and playing music all night will hopefully, resolve everything by tomorrow morning.  Initial thoughts: detailed resolution of DSD/PCM files.  The way I put it, if the recording microphone picked it up, the DAC will send it to your speakers.  Vocals were better than ever.  However, I need much more time with it to make informed judgments.

I may have to indulge in the "switcher" box to go direct DAC to Amplifier.

Marcus

George at exaSound helped me resolve my issue.  It is entirely related to JRiver and the Windows ASIO installation.  All fixed now.  In TOOLS - OPTIONS - AUDIO - DSP & output format, select 5.1 in the CHANNELS drop down (for multichannel, of course).  I followed their installation diagram which showed selecting "source number of channels".  George is going to update the installation file.  What happened?  When I played any 5 channel (5.0) PCM file (of which I have many), the S88 mapped one of the surround channels to my subwoofer.  All other files (DSD and 6 channel (5.1) PCM) were mapped correctly.  After I switched to 5.1 in the channels drop down, my 5 channel (5.0) files were then mapped correctly to my speakers.  Just one of those weird things.

I think I will try going direct to my amplifier to check it out.  Although the Marantz pre/pro automatically selects "pure" output when receiving an analog signal.  Pure means all pre/pro processing is suspended and the analog signal goes direct to the amplifier.

That's all for now.  Lots of listening to do as I evaluate the S88.

Marcus

This explanation is for JRiver users only.  My email to George at exaSound this morning:

Good morning George,

There is no need for further fixes.  This is a JRiver thing.  But, here are my results:

After changing the number of channels in JRiver DSP settings to 5.1, the S88 channel mapping is now correct.  But, there is a catch (lol).

--  All PCM 2.0 & 5.0 files are converted by JRiver to 5.1 and then sent to the S88.  Channel mapping is correct.

--  DSD (2.0, 5.0, 5.1) files are sent to the S88 with no changes.  Channel mapping is correct.  Thus, for example, DSD 2.0 files remain 2.0 and utilize my Left/Right speakers only.

I do not mind this PCM conversion to 5.1 as I always used this option prior to installing the S88.  I prefer multichannel and I liked having JRiver convert all my CDs (typically FLAC) to 5.1 channels.  Of course, I always have the option to change JRiver DSP settings to 2.0 channels.  This would result in all PCM files being converted to 2.0.  I never use this option, but I know it’s there.

I hope my explanation makes sense to you.  Thank you very much for your quick solution.

Marcus

Just to be clear, the JRiver 5.1 setting applies to PCM files only.  Changing the setting to 5.1 did result in correct channel mapping for PCM files.  However, it also changed 2 channel stereo files in to 5.1 multichannel files.  

It does not affect DSD files at all. 

Marcus

You are correct.  My apologies for bringing this up.  I saw the change from 2.0 to 5.1 and just accepted it.  I just played a 2.0 PCM file and walked around listening to all speakers and only the left & right speakers are playing music.

WOW!  Big error on my part.

Marcus

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

That is another semantic ambiguity from Jriver .  What Jriver is doing, quite properly, is repackaging the 2 channels into a 5.1 channel output but without conversion or upmixing.  

Thank you Kal for your gracious response.  I feel poorly for even bringing it up.  But, now we (and exaSound) knows the truth of the matter.

Marcus

• 2 weeks later...

Speaker distance.

Is it critical to make sure the front Left, Center and Right speakers are the same distance to the MLP?  I've always used Audyssey before and assumed it took care of speaker distances (timing).  But, now, feeding my Marantz AV8805 analog in (7.1 channel in) from the S88 it occurred to me that my pre/pro is no longer adjusting timing.

What does everyone else do?  Just measure and make sure all three speakers are equidistant from the MLP?

Thanks!

Marcus

22 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

If they are not all at the exact same distances (or if you are also using surround speakers which are generally not), you can set the distances in Roon or Jriver.

Thank you Kal.  I set the distances in JRiver.  Sounds much better now, especially piano.

Marcus

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  As you know, I wanted to set distance settings from speakers to MLP while using the S88.  I use JRiver and tried their room correction in DSP Studio.  I discovered it works for PCM files but not for DSD files.  A couple days ago, I began a 14 day trial of ROON.  The program does allow setting speaker distances (and, as needed, volume equalizing between speakers) for both PCM and DSD files.  Adding ROON's DSP processing (for speaker distance) slowed down my computer (core i7 windows 10).  I checked ROON's processing speed in the program's signal path window and it was very slow.  ROON's message boards provided lots of tips to improve processing speed which worked.  Processing speed, even with DSP engaged, is excellent now.  No more interruptions.

Lastly, I successfully migrated all JRiver tags to ROON.  As an aside, I made some tag changes in JRiver and they immediately updated in ROON.  My current plan is to keep both players.  I need JRiver for tagging music files (easy) and playing movies.  ROON's DSP does offer a lot more capability, but for now, speaker distance and volume control is sufficient.

My integration of the S88 in to my system is now complete.

Marcus

Kal, you are most likely correct.  The whole point of purchasing the S88 was to get a pure DSD file through my system, expertly converted to analog, and out to my speakers.  After writing my above post, I also discovered that ROON somehow eliminated my JRiver WDM driver.  I need that driver to play browser based Primephonic (classical) and Amazon HD Music (jazz) tracks through the S88.  I uninstalled ROON, reconfigured JRiver with WDM, rebooted and WDM is back and working.  I really like sampling music through these streaming services.

Gesh!  Looks like I will stick with JRiver.  I super appreciate your posts.  They are keeping me on track.  I'm 70 and trying to get the best possible musical experience before my hearing goes bad (LOL).

Thanks again!  Marcus

I want to pass along how I stream music through the S88.  I use Amazon Music HD (for Jazz) and Primephonic (for classical) on my Windows 10 PC.  I did not have any luck with either service's apps.  George at exaSound told me to try JRiver's WDM feature.  I do not know if ROON offers a similar feature.  Once I installed the WDM feature and brought up Amazon's Windows app or Primphonic's web based browser app, I could stream music from either source through the S88 (I looked at the S88 VU meters and yep, the S88 was getting the signal from JRiver).

My PC is in a different room.  I tried the windows' remote desktop. Total failure.  I then installed and used Google's remote desktop.  Success (a bit clunky but success selecting streaming music remotely).  At the MLP, on my Android Pad, I use JRemote2 to play stored music from my NAS and now using Google remote desktop, streaming music.  I also use the Marantz app to control volume.

I hope you find this useful.

Marcus

Hi Ted, thanks for asking.  I can't answer your question as I am very novice in this area.  I got the S88 working with my system via USB and that was my first priority.  I wanted a multichannel DAC.  I have not utilized the LAN capability because I don't know how yet.  Is there a better way to use the S88?

My objectives:

1.  Play my NAS stored music to my listening area.  I thought the only way to do that was via USB using JRiver from my PC.

2.  Play either Amazon or Primephonic streaming to my listening area.

3.  Play all of the above via S88 (lan????) to other devices (I have a separate receiver in my "man cave").  I do not know how to do this and have not really tried yet.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Marcus