IGNORED

how loud do you "Typically" listen? (those with a db meter, or the phone app)

I'm just curious... an informal poll, of whomever wants to respond.  But generally, how loud do you listen to your music on your system?

I find that depending on genre (as classical is very dynamic)..  i hover around 70-80db and rarely higher, if playing rock music or certain modern jazz.. 

I also find I get the best SQ for my room size around 75db +/- 3db ..

Have never measured dB levels - but depending on the mood of the moment it can be anything from a background filler setting, to realistic, live volumes. With the latter, if a solo piano recording, it's at a piano is in the room setting; if intense, driving sound then it will be difficult to converse with someone in the room.

Frank

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

Over and out.

When settling down to do dedicated listening session pretty much every night for a few hours I listen at around 95-105db at peaks. This is measured at the listening position via a pricey Reed DB meter that tops out at 140db in terms of its measurement capability. The system was tuned at this level and never really sounds stressed so I just roll with it.

Yeah its louder than I probably should be listening at but its what I enjoy and will continue to do so until I'm deaf or dead 🙂

13 minutes ago, cjf said:

When settling down to do dedicated listening session pretty much every night for a few hours I listen at around 95-105db at peaks. This is measured at the listening position via a pricey Reed DB meter that tops out at 140db in terms of its measurement capability. The system was tuned at this level and never really sounds stressed so I just roll with it.

Yeah its louder than I probably should be listening at but its what I enjoy and will continue to do so until I'm deaf or dead 🙂

Wow, that is pretty darn loud... I don't know if I could sustain that volume more than a few minutes myself..   But then my room is also small, that makes loud music "feel" louder .. 

8 minutes ago, 992Sam said:

Wow, that is pretty darn loud... I don't know if I could sustain that volume more than a few minutes myself..   But then my room is also small, that makes loud music "feel" louder .. 

Its strange in that, even though numerically the level is considered fairly loud, it really doesn't seem that way at all. If I fell over a bag of money in the street I would love to add alot more power but....

I hear you about the room size thing. There are many benefits to a smaller room and the need for less HP and Cubic inches to fill it is a big one. Especially in this hobby where the cost of a few "good/quality" watts is at a premium and goes up like a shot for every additional quality watt from there.

4 minutes ago, cjf said:

Its strange in that, even though numerically the level is considered fairly loud, it really doesn't seem that way at all. If I fell over a bag of money in the street I would love to add alot more power but....

I hear you about the room size thing. There are many benefits to a smaller room and the need for less HP and Cubic inches to fill it is a big one. Especially in this hobby where the cost of a few "good/quality" watts is at a premium and goes up like a shot for every additional quality watt from there.

yep, the photos of your listening room are enough to make me jealous...  Condo living in the SF Bay Area = very little bang for the buck...   I hope to retire into a nice large home in a much cheaper state some day where I can build a listening room befitting my stuff...  and then I can upgrade my speakers to something bigger too!

90ish

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Will consider that. Maybe closer to 85 when it’s not a period of Stones/Led Zep.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep an eye on my volume levels using my Apple Watch.  I was listening when I capture that below - and that represents pretty much the average with it occasionally reaching into the upper 80s.  It will alert me if it's too loud for too long.  I'm not sure it has ever alerted me to listening to loud.  My parrot has occasionally set it off though when in close proximity.

IMG_0537.PNG.521940e8edd60b9d9ec7a48423e707ae.PNG

Digital:  Innuos Zenith Mk3 > Shunyata Sigma USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Wireworld Gold Startlight > OPTO DX > Shunyata Alpha S/PDIF > Chord Hugo TT2 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps

I live in a one story building but I share one wall with a neighbor.  I use an app to check db and I try to keep it around 60db which I think is quite low, under the normal speech level of 65db but I've become quite use to it and it is sufficient enough for me to enjoy my music.  It's hard though with really dynamic music to find the right level but so far nearing three years no complaint from the neighbors and I listen, like I imagine a lot of you, a lot of hours.

"If you fly a flag of hate you are no kin to me"

Ry Cooder

When by myself...loud...probably too loud.

When the dog is present...low level

When the wife is present...off...she dislikes my music.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear R7800 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBT->iFi xDSD->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: Squeeze Commander (DroidX) & iPeng (iPad Air); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: Sony NWZ_ZX1 & ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  Wish List: New DAC,  SBT replacement; Dream system: Linn EXACT or ATC Active or Big Tubes (KR or Nagra or Shindo or ...)

My goal is to use appliances and take home PC out of the chain...

For serious listening to rock and jazz the louder sections are around 85 dB average levels, it is hard to get an accurate measure of peak levels.  For really dynamic music the average level will usually be a bit lower, but the peaks may be a lot higher.  This is with casual measurement via Studio Six app on the iPad.  I am gonna get a measurement microphone very soon for getting more accurate and wider range measurements.

Occasionally, I might listen at a bit higher level, but 90 dB average is dangerous for hearing if it last very long at all.

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio