IGNORED

how loud do you "Typically" listen? (those with a db meter, or the phone app)

992Sam

I'm just curious... an informal poll, of whomever wants to respond.  But generally, how loud do you listen to your music on your system?

I find that depending on genre (as classical is very dynamic)..  i hover around 70-80db and rarely higher, if playing rock music or certain modern jazz.. 

I also find I get the best SQ for my room size around 75db +/- 3db ..

13 minutes ago, cjf said:

When settling down to do dedicated listening session pretty much every night for a few hours I listen at around 95-105db at peaks. This is measured at the listening position via a pricey Reed DB meter that tops out at 140db in terms of its measurement capability. The system was tuned at this level and never really sounds stressed so I just roll with it.

Yeah its louder than I probably should be listening at but its what I enjoy and will continue to do so until I'm deaf or dead 🙂

Wow, that is pretty darn loud... I don't know if I could sustain that volume more than a few minutes myself..   But then my room is also small, that makes loud music "feel" louder .. 

4 minutes ago, cjf said:

Its strange in that, even though numerically the level is considered fairly loud, it really doesn't seem that way at all. If I fell over a bag of money in the street I would love to add alot more power but....

I hear you about the room size thing. There are many benefits to a smaller room and the need for less HP and Cubic inches to fill it is a big one. Especially in this hobby where the cost of a few "good/quality" watts is at a premium and goes up like a shot for every additional quality watt from there.

yep, the photos of your listening room are enough to make me jealous...  Condo living in the SF Bay Area = very little bang for the buck...   I hope to retire into a nice large home in a much cheaper state some day where I can build a listening room befitting my stuff...  and then I can upgrade my speakers to something bigger too!

• 3 weeks later...