IGNORED

Article: Yottamaster HC1-C3 | Excellent Storage Option For Music Libraries

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

From the company, "256GB → 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD can be copied in about 10 minutes."

thanks!   just reread and saw that the max rate above is 20GB/min, not ps, so thats a top speed of 333 mBps. The 256GB over 10 minutes is slightly  faster,

426 mBps... for me thats at least 3 times faster than SSD over USB3 and 4 x faster than backup over network.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@joelha I keep looking for the multi-drive NVMe USB drive. It's a strange challenge. 

This four bay NVMe enclosure is fantastic, but it's Thunderbolt 3. https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/express-4m2

If there is a USB male to Thunderbolt female adapter, then you'd be golden.

Chris,

Regardless of the outcome, you're great for taking the time to check this out for me (and maybe for others).

You believe the previous device you had identified would with an Auralic device?

And the same would be true for the Thunderbolt device assuming I could find a Thunderbolt to USB adapter?

Thanks a lot.

Joel

5 minutes ago, joelha said:

Chris,

Regardless of the outcome, you're great for taking the time to check this out for me (and maybe for others).

You believe the previous device you had identified would with an Auralic device?

And the same would be true for the Thunderbolt device assuming I could find a Thunderbolt to USB adapter?

Thanks a lot.

Joel

The previous M.2 SATA device would work for sure as it has dip switches to set it in RAID 0 that would make it one large drive. The drives required are like this Samsung EVO 860 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07822SVMS/

You could get 4TB total. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@joelha I keep looking for the multi-drive NVMe USB drive. It's a strange challenge. 

This four bay NVMe enclosure is fantastic, but it's Thunderbolt 3. https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/express-4m2

If there is a USB male to Thunderbolt female adapter, then you'd be golden.

I keep wishing that I could get local attached storage to sound better than  NAS... no luck so far with SSD, HD or SDXC storage. Any thoughts

on local NVME vs NAS storage SQ? 7 series and later NUC's  per Intel support Thunderbolt 3

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000021752/intel-nuc.html

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I keep wishing that I could get local attached storage to sound better than  NAS... no luck so far with SSD, HD or SDXC storage. Any thoughts

on local NVME vs NAS storage SQ? 7 series and later NUC's  per Intel support Thunderbolt 3

That's a can o' worms being opened and jumped into constantly on the forum :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

32 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The previous M.2 SATA device would work for sure as it has dip switches to set it in RAID 0 that would make it one large drive. The drives required are like this Samsung EVO 860 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07822SVMS/

You could get 4TB total. 

Chris,

I'm going to guess that the four NVMe device won't work based on the following information I saw from that device's instruction manual:

PC Requirements • Hardware: PC with a Thunderbolt 3 port • OS: Windows 10 or later

But the two NVMe device is on order.

Thanks again for the great find.

Joel

6 minutes ago, joelha said:

Chris,

I'm going to guess that the four NVMe device won't work based on the following information I saw from that device's instruction manual:

PC Requirements • Hardware: PC with a Thunderbolt 3 port • OS: Windows 10 or later

But the two NVMe device is on order.

Thanks again for the great find.

Joel

Just looked at the manual myself and it also requires software RAID. That’s a no go for a Linux audio device. 

Very cool product, but a bit rich for my blood unless maybe I was starting my backup setup from scratch. What I would like to see is a device that you could use a mix of 2.5" SATA SSD and HDD and M.2 NVME (and non) with the one touch disc to disc function. It's one reason I went with my Drobo for my photography files, in that I had a huge mix of old 3.5" hard drives in various sizes and makes and the Drobo's just automatically RAID them (albeit proprietarily, so best to have solid backups made - I do to both another Drobo drive and to 3.5" bare drives using a drive dock) and once can swap out whenever as one gets or needs bigger total storage. I use Carbon Copy Cloner for my backups. Works a treat with both local storage and network devices such as the internal music storage on my Roon ROCK NUC. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It technically may work but I’ve seen terrible results from people doing similar things online. 

Chris,

Would the dual card device you recommended work with Optane?

And if it might be subject to the terrible results you had mentioned, what might those be?

Thanks.

Joel

On 11/6/2020 at 7:46 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

There is only one option to clone the drive. 

Sure, but you only clone the drive once and then keep it synced. Copying the entire contents every time would be like you retyping your entire article every time you add a sentence :-)

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I hear you, but this is one button and it’s done. 

Absolutely - it just seems like a strange design. I have a NAS, an HDD attached to my router and a portable storage that I attach to my laptop. They all get automatically synced to each other in the background way too fast to even notice and I probably got a bit spoiled. I normally play media from the NAS and have the router HDD as a backup. The portable storage is to take with me when I travel.

Looks like a great device for an IT admin to deploy a lot of laptops.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

There's certainly value in making backup as easy and foolproof as possible. It might be nice if the unit had a timer you could set that would automatically perform the backup on a schedule (nightly, weekly, etc.) without you having to remember to push the button.

One drawback would be that the backup drive is in the same physical location as the main drive, subject to theft, natural disaster, etc. If you were willing to occasionally use the screwdriver to remove the backup drive and swap it for a third drive you could work around this by taking the other drive to another location and storing it there.

I have the feeling this device is aimed mostly at the video market (as much isn these days). When shooting video in the field one wants to make high quality backups as soon and as quickly as possible. I would be wary of rewriting the drive every time one adds say a single or handful of cd's as that could end up being just too many writes if one is doing it on a daily basis (weekly would be better). Setting it on a schedule would be unwise as well, as it will rewrite the entire disc no matter if changes have been made or not. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.