IGNORED

Best FLAC converter software

cappo

If you take an album in FLAC (or APE) and convert it to WAV using 5 different converters you will find that all 5 newly created WAV-versions of your album sound different. What the heck is going on here? Why do they sound different!? There are many dozens of converters out there that can do the job. I don't have the time to go through them all to find the best for the job. So, the point of this thread is to cross-fertilize, collect member feedback and come up with a list of top-three converters out there.

So my question goes to all those addicted to best: what is your favorite FLAC-to-WAV converter?

In other words, nobody cares about superior WAV and everybody continues to listen to their inferior FLACs?

If that is indeed the case, then, it appears, that I'm in the wrong place with my questions. I erroneously thought that this was the forum where addicted-to-best audiophiles share, help and learn from each other...

9 hours ago, sandyk said:

I suspect that this thread will soon be removed by Admin due to someone complaining 😉

I have never discussed any of this previously with you before either, in case somebody suggests we are in collusion

What?! Someone complaining?!?! Complaining about what? I've asked a perfectly innocent question, have I not?

15 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

I manage my library with Minimserver 2 (on Nuc8i3/Ubuntu 20.04.1) and I use its MinimStreamer transcoding functionality to convert on the fly Alac and flac to wav, same bit depth and resolution.

So not time and hdd space wasted to convert offline, in my opinion this is the best compromise.

Stefano, converting on the fly doesn't count. All and every media-player does that and they all suck at it. This thread is about offline FLAC conversion only and I'm on a quest to find the best software to do it offline.

P.S. HDD space is not a problem at all. We spend many thousands of $$$$$ on our components, cables, etc. We can certainly afford to buy some extra HDD space to enjoy better SQ. Our hobby is certainly worth it, isn't it?

8 hours ago, Vlodzimierz said:

I decided for myself that I like the sound better when using two programs: Audio Transcoder and Xrecode 3.

This is interesting! Has anyone else tried Audio Transcoder and/or Xrecode 3? If so, would you care to share your feedback?

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Not to be a cynic, but the OP from Ukraine starts talking about converting FLAC to WAV in his first post on the site. Shortly thereafter another poster from Ukraine joins the site to offer a solution that converts FLAC to WAV, in his first post on the site. 

Amazing. With this luck, you guys are probably neighbors and don't know it. Hmmmm.

We are not neighbors but we do know each other even though 400 miles separates us. Is that a crime? 

Instead of putting us down, why don't you contribute something valuable to the topic? Example: download Audio Transcoder and, using it, convert just 1 of your favorite albums into WAV and listen. Then tell us what you think. All of this will take you half an hour max and you will learn something useful. No need to pay either since they offer a free trial period...

I am here with 1 purpose only - to learn. This is the only forum on this planet that specializes in computer playback! Where else can we go to find answers to our questions?! And you make us feel like we are not welcome here...

6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

And now I am looking forward to hear your expert analysis of the results of the conversion from flac to wav with the help of the fabulous, and not expensive at all app already mentioned above. Please!

You, ignoramus, have an IQ of an amoeba and don't know your arse from your elbow!

5 hours ago, robocop said:

I've compared Xrecode to dbpoweramp for conversions and Xrecode wins by a small margin. I avoid any other file types unless its all I have to work with. 

Robert

Yesterday I spent several hours comparing Xrecode with Audio Transcoder. Both are good and very similar but Audio Transcoder gives a much more accurate and articulate bass. So far Audio Transcoder is the winner for me and I'm almost ready to purchase the license. Before I do though, I'd like to be sure there's nothing better out there. Anyone has tested anything better?  

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is your one warning. Personal attacks aren’t allowed here. Next time I will have to ban your account. 

Instead of threatening me, why don't you do your job and police this thread. It's going to the dogs. They've already generated 3 pages of noise. 98% of it is off topic. I've created this thread to discuss the best FLAC converter software. Instead, they are discussing checksums, audio players, on-line conversion and such like. And you have been turning a blind eye to all of this.

One nitwit accuses me of promoting somebody else's software. Then you come along suspecting me of "affiliations" and condescendingly give me "the benefit of the doubt". Dude, there are more commercial ads on your web site than member posts! And you are raking it in from all those ads. So, who's affiliated here?! Ha??!!

Last but not least, I am deeply frustrated with your forum and its ignorant members. It's value is close to zero. I want to close my account and stop wasting my time here. How do I do that? In fact, why don't you do me a favour and close it yourself. I've got better things to do...