IGNORED

"Book shelf" speakers put on speaker stands = less bass??

992Sam

2 minutes ago, 992Sam said:

yeah it's not a quality problem with the stands ... it's just the laws of physics and I got used to listening to them close to the floor for 2 months, but with the delivery of the stands yesterday, the sound / tone has shifted to a more balanced tone (As the tweeters and mids are more ear level now)... and this the impression of less bass... 

You enhanced the bass but it was not balanced with the rest of the speaker output.

Also, the image will be better as it is now ear level.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 11/4/2020 at 4:30 PM, fas42 said:

Yes, if the stands are designed well, and weighted adequately, then it will work to a decent degree. IME, the way most small speaker sound as normally set up, is, well, small - wind up the volume a bit, and the SQ falls apart; and the bass most certainly doesn't work properly - non-existent, or boomy.

A stack of papers is a simple method of increasing effective mass, while allowing it to be readily adjustable. As a long term, aesthetic solution it obviously is a no-go - but it serves to give one answers. It worked 30 years ago, and it still is a simple approach for getting results.

I aim to hear the recording, at any volume level that the system can sustain - not, the limitations of the system setup.

I totally disagree. Bookshelves can sound big, it depends on the speakers and the room acoustics.

A stack of papers, is just that, a stack of papers. You do realize one of the issues with paper is that if you have a nice wood finish, on the speakers, that paper being a rough surface, can scratch and damage the cabinet. Also, if you are using newspaper, which uses soybean oil based ink, it can leach into the cabinet and ruin it also. Sorry no.

If one uses a weighted, stiff stand and then attaches said speaker to the stand, there is no issues.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

On 11/4/2020 at 5:13 PM, fas42 said:

Tracked down a YT clip of your model of speakers running, if only for a second or two,

The smallness of the sound, here, is what one usually gets with this size of cabinet if it's just plunked on a convenient surface - I don't believe the full capability of such units can be realised until the stabilising of the cabinets is thoroughly explored, 😉.

Right, it has nothing to do with the mic and how it was recorded.

Go actually listen to set a set of speakers. Using youtube to base your opinion on is like...

Six Blind Men and the Elephant: The Challenge of Concussion — Pink  Concussions

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Agree with both tweaks - Blu-Tack is a very useful part of the tweaker's kit; cheap, easy to apply, and to remove if it doesn't help - a point I would make is that if you're using this, is to have a decent gob of the stuff, and press whatever you're trying to couple really tightly together; make the 'bond' so strong that you almost pick up the stand, if you try to lift the speaker.

Blu-Tack leaches oil into the wood of the cabinet and ruins finishes.

Sorry no.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

It's on the underneath of the speaker, where no-one looks - and is only needed in the corners. If one wants to investigate this seriously, then another method which accomplishes the same thing could be tried, which is guaranteed to not cause harm ... personally, I would have very little time for listening to speakers which are not stabilised properly; the 'blurring' which results from this not being taken care of would irritate me too much ...

It still damages the wood and finish and that is part and parcel of the box that makes up the speaker. Kind of like water on wood, HDF, or MDF - it is not good for the speaker.

If you want, I will argue chemistry with you but you will lose that battle. I understand wood chemistry (along with varnishes, etc.) very well as it was part of my PhD research.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Or put the lead steel shot inside the stands. I have stands are filled with sand - 25 lbs each stand. They will not tip at all and they are 30" stands. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

• 2 months later...

I have seen it on my Rogers LS2's so that is a varnished speaker, not bare wood.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, March Audio said:

Back on topic,  Frank, can you explain why you think an audible boom is connected to the security of the speaker mount?

How have you tested your theory?

He won't because he has swallowed hook, line, and sinker many of the old urban legend's about speakers and affects.

I mean, look at Q Acoustics or Raidho. They both have stand mount speakers, sold with stands, that actually absorb bouncing floors, etc and seem to protect speakers from that.  The Raidho (also Borreson - the original designer) is a desert Island speaker for me as every time I hear them - colour me impressed.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590