IGNORED

Krell Foundation 4K Ultra HD preamp/processor and Chorus 3200 XD 3-channel amplifier

Krell Foundation 4K Ultra HD preamp/processor and Chorus 3200 XD 3-channel amplifier

Krell Foundation 4K Ultra HD home theater preamp/processor

New Retail Price:  $7500 (USD) for reference

My Asking Price:  $3000 (USD)

Krell Chorus 3200 XD 3-channel amplifier

New Retail Price:  $7000 (USD) for reference

My Asking Price:  $3000 (USD)

I'm listing for sale these two wonderful pieces from my home theater system.  They've been a reliable source of entertainment, providing stellar sonic performance.  They've been kept protected in a Salamander rack with doors.  We have no children or pets in the house.  They were used by adults only in a private, non-smoking home.  I'm very fussy about the condition of my audio/video equipment.  (Shocker there, eh? A fussy audiophile!)  I always handle with care to avoid any scratching or scuffing.  These pieces are in excellent shape, as shown in the photos.  In spite of a thorough dusting-off with a microfiber cloth, however, there is still some dust and small fibers visible in the photos.  I did my best.  In a couple of photos, I have blurred out the serial number.   

The Preamp/Processor:

This Foundation processor was purchased new by me from my local Krell dealer here in New York.  Before I purchased it, the dealer sent this unit to the Krell factory for the "4K Ultra HD" upgrade.  Shortly after I purchased it, I sent it back to the factory for a different digital board upgrade.   This unit is running the latest firmware, v1.49 dated February 21, 2020.  The processor will come with the original box and packing material, plus the power cord, the remote control, the ARES calibration microphone with its stand and extension cord, the owner's manual and cards, plus a documentation CD. 

Note:  Krell includes a third-party microphone for calibrating the ARES room correction feature.  The mic is an Audio-Technica ATR4750.  It's nothing special, just a flimsy plastic thing you use once if you choose to setup ARES.  The business end of the microphone is mounted atop a 9 inch plastic tube, with the wire running through it.  I need to point out the tube is cracked.  The mic and wire are intact.  A little piece of tape around the crack was all it needed.  Nevertheless I want to disclose the flaw to any prospective buyer. 

The Foundation processor has been favorably reviewed by several major magazines/websites - notably, by Kal Rubinson in his Stereophile column "Music in the Round #66", plus Michael Fremer in Sound & Vision, Richard Stevenson in Home Cinema Choice, Jerry Del Colliano in Home Theater Review, and Andy Clough in What HiFi.  Stereophile gave it a Class A rating.  

The Amplifier:

This Chorus amplifier was purchased new by me from a local Krell dealer in New Jersey in non-XD form.  As soon as Krell launched their XD upgrade program, I brought my amp back to the factory to have it done.  The 3200 model is unusual in that it was a custom configuration ordered by the dealer from the Krell factory.  You’ll find Chorus 4200, Chorus 5200, and Chorus 7200 models listed on the Krell web site, but no Chorus 3200.  This unit is essentially the same as the others, but with only 3 amplifier modules installed, rather than 4 or 5 or 7.  I used it to power my left, center, and right speakers.  This unit is running v1.14 firmware. The amplifier will come with the original box and packing material, plus the power cord, the owner's manual and cards, plus a trigger cable.

Note:  There’s a row of cooling fans mounted on the rear panel.  They are extremely quiet and completely unobtrusive.  Even when the amp is working hard, I never hear the fans.  Even when I’m listening to soft acoustic music, I never hear the fans.  The Chorus amplifier has been favorably reviewed by several major magazines/websites - notably, by David Vaughn in Sound & Vision, Myron Ho in Home Theater Review, and Pete Hayman in What HiFi.  Sound & Vision gave it a “Top Pick” rating.  

Krell launched these models some years ago, but they remain current models.  The Foundation is still featured on their web site as their flagship processor.  The Chorus multi-channel amplifier line is still featured on their web site, as well.

Local pickup available.  I'm in New York 11050.  Otherwise, buyer pays for shipping costs.  I will ship within the USA only.  Cash-and-carry or PayPal only.  I cover my own PayPal Seller Fee.

Box #1:  Foundation - 22x22x9 inches, 25 pounds

Box #2: Chorus - 26x22x12, 80 pounds

• Seller
    SalR406
  • Date
    11/01/20
  • Price
    6,000.00 USD
  • Category