Jump to content
IGNORED

Active speaker comparison


Recommended Posts

What happens when you put a couple enthousiastic audio guys, a mastering engineer and a producer in a recording studio with some impressive active speakers, using the dCS Rossini & clock as the source?

 

Please enjoy this 2+ hour live comparison of:

1. Dutch & Dutch 8C (@11m35)

2. ATC SCM100A (@56m30)

3. Grimm LS1be (@1h44m30)

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any Cliff Notes on this comparison?

Current:  JRiver 26 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an AMD A10-5700 with 8 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Amplification - Audio Research SP-16 > Pioneer M-22 - Bow Technologies Wazoo Integrated (great amp - silly name)

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage - KEF LS50 - Revel M126Be - others......

Cables: Tara Labs RCS Reference speaker cables and DiMarzio Interconnects

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I'm interested but not interested enough to commit to 2 hours.  Is there a precis or summary?


Hi Kal and botrytis, at the end of the session the overall findings where touched just briefly, most likely a summary will appear on Alpha-Audio.net.
 

When you can’t wait, after each track the findings and some direct comparisons between the speakers are made. To get a faster impression, during the last part (while listening at the Grimm’s) a couple comparisons are made. Perhaps 1h52m30 till 2h01m30 is most condensed, just to get a quick impression.

 

I had an entertaining Sunday morning watching the session, when you have the time, just press play and sit back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Very quick listen to the video, jumping to equivalent bits of music for the three - the ATC stood out, then the Dutch & Dutch; the Grimm was a sorry 3rd, well below the others.


Perhaps a bit too quick...? We typed in parallel, above I mentioned a time slot with some comparisons, just as a rough impression. I guess it’s best to watch the full movie, or wait for the summary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FredM said:

I had an entertaining Sunday morning watching the session, when you have the time, just press play and sit back.

Thanks for the summary.  I do not think I will ever be in the proper state of mind to sit through this.  I sampled it to confirm.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, FredM said:


Perhaps a bit too quick...? We typed in parallel, above I mentioned a time slot with some comparisons, just as a rough impression. I guess it’s best to watch the full movie, or wait for the summary.

 

And I agree  ... I've extracted the audio, and aligned them, for a particular selection, in Audacity - the volumes alter through the piece I was looking at, per speaker - a bit more fiddling, and a touch more analysis ... a more careful appraisal, later on ...

Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Over and out.

.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Thanks for the summary.  I do not think I will ever be in the proper state of mind to sit through this.  I sampled it to confirm.


That tells we’re not alike 😘

 

A recording of 2+ hours does asks some time, but the good thing imho that the viewer is able to decide to press play and remotely listen at the tracks, take note of the findings and comparisons from the ‘panel’ and can even watch the live chat on YouTube. More accessible and transparant, if one chooses 👍. Like we each have our own music taste and sound preference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, fas42 said:

 

And I agree  ... I've extracted the audio, and aligned them, for a particular selection, in Audacity - the volumes alter through the piece I was looking at, per speaker - a bit more fiddling, and a touch more analysis ... a more careful appraisal, later on ...


Hi Frank, based on your reply, perhaps interesting: just recently Alpha Audio released a Sample Database.

 

https://alpha-audio.net/2020/10/alpha-audio-launches-hifi-sample-database/

 

My guess is that the recordings of the active speakers will be added.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, FredM said:


Hi Frank, based on your reply, perhaps interesting: just recently Alpha Audio released a Sample Database.

 

https://alpha-audio.net/2020/10/alpha-audio-launches-hifi-sample-database/

 

My guess is that the recordings of the active speakers will be added.

 

Yep, on to it ... was going to put a link up, but you beat me to it ... 😉.

 

Had another round of listening - and still put the Grimm last  ... it suffers, in this capture of how it's performing, from 'digititus' - tending now to push D&D to the top.

Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Over and out.

.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And yet another listen - was originally using the Trio Fugue item, because it was common to an earlier comparison I looked at from that website. This time, the James Taylor piece - and the D&D indeed was well above the ATC; the latter dropped back to "inside the box" sound - made the differences very easy to pick.

Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Over and out.

.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rexp said:

The good news is the recording is good enough to show up some real differences, too bad I don't like the sound overall. Assume they used Qobuz/Tidal and the analogue out of the DAC? 


Yes, the recordings give an impression for playback at home. With the local (your/our) system and room in the chain it’s certainly not ideal, but better then no sonic impression at all. Luckily the panel is there to share their thoughts.

 

As I understand the analogue output is used for all speakers (as the ATC don’t have a digital input). In wonder if there would be differences when a digital signal would have been used for the D&D’s and Grimms. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fas42 said:

And yet another listen - was originally using the Trio Fugue item, because it was common to an earlier comparison I looked at from that website. This time, the James Taylor piece - and the D&D indeed was well above the ATC; the latter dropped back to "inside the box" sound - made the differences very easy to pick.

 

From what I heard from laptop I definitely prefer Dutch & Dutch, ATC second. Grimm is nice looking, it may win in silent mode :-)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FredM said:


Yes, the recordings give an impression for playback at home. With the local (your/our) system and room in the chain it’s certainly not ideal, but better then no sonic impression at all. Luckily the panel is there to share their thoughts.

 

As I understand the analogue output is used for all speakers (as the ATC don’t have a digital input). In wonder if there would be differences when a digital signal would have been used for the D&D’s and Grimms. 

 

 

 

 

 

We did use the analog output of the dCS Rossini. The ATC's don't have digital in, otherwise we would have kept it digital. We used Qobuz and WAV. 

I always advise to use headphones for these kind of tests. Otherwise you get 'double acoustics'. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, FredM said:

What happens when you put a couple enthousiastic audio guys, a mastering engineer and a producer in a recording studio with some impressive active speakers, using the dCS Rossini & clock as the source?

 

Please enjoy this 2+ hour live comparison of:

1. Dutch & Dutch 8C (@11m35)

2. ATC SCM100A (@56m30)

3. Grimm LS1be (@1h44m30)

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for posting it. In the description I added an index to make it more easy to find the relevant parts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Alpha Audio said:

 

Thanks for posting it. In the description I added an index to make it more easy to find the relevant parts. 

Many thanks for setting up the session and sharing your recordings and your actual listening experience in the room! I can image it did ask for quite some preparation, using the recording studio and collaboration with two professionals. Much appreciated 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FredM said:

Many thanks for setting up the session and sharing your recordings and your actual listening experience in the room! I can image it did ask for quite some preparation, using the recording studio and collaboration with two professionals. Much appreciated 👍

 

You are welcome! It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FredM said:

Many thanks for setting up the session and sharing your recordings and your actual listening experience in the room! I can image it did ask for quite some preparation, using the recording studio and collaboration with two professionals. Much appreciated 👍

 

+1

Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Over and out.

.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alpha Audio said:

 

We did use the analog output of the dCS Rossini. The ATC's don't have digital in, otherwise we would have kept it digital. We used Qobuz and WAV. 

I always advise to use headphones for these kind of tests. Otherwise you get 'double acoustics'. 

If the aim was to show these speakers at their best, I think using the digital in would have been preferable. Or even better comparing them to a live performance since you were in a recording studio. Many thanks for the video.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rexp said:

If the aim was to show these speakers at their best, I think using the digital in would have been preferable. Or even better comparing them to a live performance since you were in a recording studio. Many thanks for the video.

We wanted to compare apples to apples... the ATC doesn't have a digital input. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...