Jump to content
IGNORED

10 Gigabit Ethernet Questions


Recommended Posts

Hi Guys, I recently switched to using the 10 Gb card in my CAPS twenty server and have noticed a few issues pop up with Roon. Playback can be delayed for quite a few seconds from Streaming services and some album have skipped playing tracks after a few seconds. This all happened after switching to the 10 Gb card. 

 

The card I have is what ships with the ASUS ProART Z490 motherboard. It's an Aquantia card that I believe has a chip from Marvell. I'm using driver version 2.1.21.0 from February 7, 2020. 

 

Question: Has anyone adjusted the settings on a 10 Gb card, or really any card for that matter, to counter issues like mine?

 

@plissken any suggestions?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems

Link to comment

Down speed the card to 1GbE and see what happens. Is it correct that all local streamed media works just fine? I'd suspect you don't have packet

and frame buffer max count set high enough for 10GbE (at both ends) and that queue overruns are causing re-transmission problems for more latency prone applications.

Regards,

Dave

 

Audio system

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Down speed the card to 1GbE and see what happens. Is it correct that all local streamed media works just fine? I'd suspect you don't have packet

and frame buffer max count set high enough for 10GbE (at both ends) and that queue overruns are causing re-transmission problems for more latency prone applications.

 

The strange thing is that Qobuz can start slow and other times a local album can skip over tracks saying it can't load fast enough. It's a generic Roon error. The local content is on the hard drive of the Roon core, so no network involved to load it. 

 

Could have something to do with the endpoints, which are 1 Gb max. 

 

Haven't touched frame buffers. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, plissken said:

What are the TCPOffload settings set at? Also is the card plugged into a 1GBe switch or 10GBe? I've seen switch auto negotiation get a bit wonky and flap the port.

It's connected to a 10 Gb port on my core switch. 

 

I don't have a specific TCPOffload. here are the options I have.

 

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 12.02.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 12.02.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 12.02.40 PM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems

Link to comment
7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys, I recently switched to using the 10 Gb card in my CAPS twenty server and have noticed a few issues pop up with Roon. Playback can be delayed for quite a few seconds from Streaming services and some album have skipped playing tracks after a few seconds. This all happened after switching to the 10 Gb card. 

 

I'm going to say that this has nothing to do with your 10Gb card because I've had intermittent problems with streaming through Roon. I just streamed a 16/44 album from Quboz and then tried a 24/96 and it didn't play. Then I retried the same album 16/44.1 and it plays fine ... go figure ...

 

Use IPerf3 to measure the bandwidth, packet loss etc, between endpoints.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, plissken said:

Looks like there is a console port on that UniFi. Do you have a console cable?

 

If you switch back to 1GBe is it fine?

I don't have a console cable for this one. I can SSH into it though and see just bout everything. 

 

After switching to 10G rather than auto negotiate it has been pretty good. I will switch back then SSH and watch the ports. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don't have a console cable for this one. I can SSH into it though and see just bout everything. 

 

After switching to 10G rather than auto negotiate it has been pretty good. I will switch back then SSH and watch the ports. 

 

See if the UniFI has cable diagnostics... I can extend either a WebEx or MS Teams meeting invite and take a look. I don't know the UniFi CLI but I could most likely manage my way around.

Link to comment
10 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys, I recently switched to using the 10 Gb card in my CAPS twenty server and have noticed a few issues pop up with Roon. Playback can be delayed for quite a few seconds from Streaming services and some album have skipped playing tracks after a few seconds. This all happened after switching to the 10 Gb card. 

 

The card I have is what ships with the ASUS ProART Z490 motherboard. It's an Aquantia card that I believe has a chip from Marvell. I'm using driver version 2.1.21.0 from February 7, 2020. 

 

Question: Has anyone adjusted the settings on a 10 Gb card, or really any card for that matter, to counter issues like mine?

 

@plissken any suggestions?

Hi Chris, I had a similar problem with my uRendu HQP NAA when I attempted to use a 10Gb port on the switch feeding it. When I switched back to a 1 Gb port the problem resolved. It is possible that the NAA software is where the problem is. 

 

What happened to the JCAT ethernet card? Did you have any similar problems with it? I think that card is 1 Gb only so you probably didn't.

 

A tip I found useful is to turn off all the offloading and let the card float and function on its own. Sometimes all the CPU interactions can cause problems.

 

Hope this helps.

 

Bob

Link to comment
13 hours ago, bobflood said:

Hi Chris, I had a similar problem with my uRendu HQP NAA when I attempted to use a 10Gb port on the switch feeding it. When I switched back to a 1 Gb port the problem resolved. It is possible that the NAA software is where the problem is. 

 

IIRC its that the device doesn't actually support 1Gbe, and would need flow control enabled ... you might need to configure your switch ... this has nothing to do with NAA software because ethernet flow control is at a lower layer... the Ethernet layer.

 

In any case this is a 10Gbe NIC on the server. I'm not familiar with the driver so can't be sure, but the Intel, Solarflare and Mellanox NICs I've use work very well.

 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Link to comment
36 minutes ago, jabbr said:

 

IIRC its that the device doesn't actually support 1Gbe, and would need flow control enabled ... you might need to configure your switch ... this has nothing to do with NAA software because ethernet flow control is at a lower layer... the Ethernet layer.

 

In any case this is a 10Gbe NIC on the server. I'm not familiar with the driver so can't be sure, but the Intel, Solarflare and Mellanox NICs I've use work very well.

 

Thanks, I also did enable flow control on the switch and have not had any problem since then. The actual problem I was having on the 10 Gb port was that the NAA was unable to play at all even with flow control on. After switching back to the 1 Gb port it works just fine with no problems since. What was strange is that it did play for a while on the 10 Gb port but then just stopped and would not restart. It did take me a bit of trial and error to figure out that it was the port on the switch but once I did all is fine.

Link to comment
48 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Thanks, I also did enable flow control on the switch and have not had any problem since then. The actual problem I was having on the 10 Gb port was that the NAA was unable to play at all even with flow control on. After switching back to the 1 Gb port it works just fine with no problems since. What was strange is that it did play for a while on the 10 Gb port but then just stopped and would not restart. It did take me a bit of trial and error to figure out that it was the port on the switch but once I did all is fine.

 

I'm not a big fan of copper 10Gbe because its power hungry. I don't know if the power usage gets better when running a 10Gbe copper port at 1Gbe. I don't personally think that any theoretical improvements in ethernet jitter outweigh the real increases in power usage. (typically <= 1W/port vs 1.5-4W nowadays and 12W in the past)

 

 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Link to comment

It's always important to check port counters if you have managed switch that logs this stuff.

 

Commands like 'sh int' and 'sh logging' should give an indication if you are experiencing any CRC, Runts, FCS and other layer 1 errors that can creep up where 1GB was working but the tolerance isn't there for 10GBe.

 

 

Link to comment
On 10/30/2020 at 6:11 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don't have a console cable for this one. I can SSH into it though and see just bout everything. 

 

After switching to 10G rather than auto negotiate it has been pretty good. I will switch back then SSH and watch the ports. 

 

How's it been going?

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...