IGNORED

Which "no internet" music server ?

rico25

Hi,

I have been reading you from France for some time and would like to thank you for the very enriching sharing of your experiences 🙂

For listening to music locally stored, what, according to your experiences, are the best materials/configurations ?

For information, currently my source consist in a bridged nas on Mac mini controlled by keyboard and bluetooth mouse, I want to start from scratch with a new source while avoiding, if possible, the need for access to an internet network ... especially when I read that some of you unplug the rj45 cable to better listening ...

my source details : https://www.casimages.com/i/2010290412138995717101267.jpg.html

thank you 

Ah OK, needed to ask the question on how much hires there is.

Your system is a truly a shining example of digital audio playback evolution 👌  Where deficiencies existed, plug up the hole, but that leads to further loops of noise creation and chains that are forever expanding. It's good to step back and look again. TotalDAc is a good one, can keep it, as well as JS2.

Let's look for less is best. This is about the least.

This could be:

NAS + Roon Server - Keep ipad for control

Ethernet to Lumin U1 mini

or

a Lumin with built in LPS somewhere but is $$$$, but TotalDac not required.

Lumin U1 mini AES3 out to the TotalDAC

Etheregen somewhere in there too and use JS2 to power it

Done.

MacMini ( I have two) are noisy as and need to vanish. Audirvana is a nice program, but needs a (noisy) MacOs computer or (noisier) Windows,. Audirvana on Windows computer I have too but is a rubbish combo and needs more time to fix.

I know QNAP NAS can house Roon Server, but not sure how fast it responds, it depends on the NAS, a LOT.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Thank you One and a half for these proposals 🙂

for information, I want to change dac because despite its naturalness and fluidity I am looking for something faster in note attacks (good for rock and electro), but it's another story, and that allows me however not to be limited to looking for a spdif only solution

I'm looking for an engaging sound, solid bass, speed and substance with a natural rendering

ready to invest $$$$ if result is here

... From my readings, but the readings do not make listening ... I was thinking of solutions like :

Naim NDS or NDX2 + Naim Core (allow direct connexion with spdif, and I am a naimee)

PinkFaun 2.16 + Euphony/Stylus to try to get more powerfull server (if power in the server = engaging music)

From your suggestions, I would go, definitely, for the Pink Faun. Sure I’m suspect.    I have mine with only HQPLAYERD. I hear no degradation in sound because of the RJ45 connection. It’s a matter of installing a superior LAN card like the one from JCAT or a fiber optic card. My controller is the HQPDCONTROL.

Again from your suggestions, my next upgrade test will be with Euphony/Stylus.

Taiko Audio Extreme server, MSB Reference Transport, MSB Select DAC with 33 Femto clock, 2 PSUs, powered by Torus AVR 16. Accuphase A-250 powered by Torus AVR 16, each. TAD Reference One.

22 hours ago, rico25 said:

Thank you One and a half for these proposals 🙂

for information, I want to change dac because despite its naturalness and fluidity I am looking for something faster in note attacks (good for rock and electro), but it's another story, and that allows me however not to be limited to looking for a spdif only solution

I'm looking for an engaging sound, solid bass, speed and substance with a natural rendering

ready to invest $$$$ if result is here

... From my readings, but the readings do not make listening ... I was thinking of solutions like :

Naim NDS or NDX2 + Naim Core (allow direct connexion with spdif, and I am a naimee)

PinkFaun 2.16 + Euphony/Stylus to try to get more powerfull server (if power in the server = engaging music)

Oh, one thing that DIY music server has taught me, is that improvements to the source are as critical as the DAC.

It would be wise to improve 

a) the transmission from the source to the DAC

b) the source itself

c) star earthing

d) AC power (exclude conditioners)

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

25 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Oh, one thing that DIY music server has taught me, is that improvements to the source are as critical as the DAC.

It would be wise to improve 

a) the transmission from the source to the DAC

b) the source itself

c) star earthing

d) AC power (exclude conditioners)

Gary is 100% correct with those statements . In fact, a DAC will never reach it's full potential unless the source is well implemented, and that includes the PSU itself, and especially the Earth integrity of the PC/Server, with many relying on pop rivets for metal to metal connections. Internal SSDs and HDDS should also  have their metal cases connected to a star earthing point wherever possible, or at least a very low resistance connection to Earth of the PSU.

(SSDs and HDDs have their internal 0volts (Earth) connected to their metal case)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Wise advice, thank you One and a half and Sandyk 🙂
For 5 years that I own this dac I try to match the listening of the CD player which has led me to increase the number of boxes, power supplies and cables...
Today I want to do a reset and start from zero in a coherent way
This decision was made after going to friends with my source and listening and comparing streamers and dacs separately.

The subject seemed interesting to me because I see a lot of things for reading qobuz / tidal but little for local files reading

No Rico. I always have my files stored in the SSDs of the Pink Faun server as on any of my previous music servers. For me, a NAS is another source of noise and unless it is a ultra quality one, should be avoided. Having two high quality servers, the second being a HQPLAYER NAA is another story and a must try.

Taiko Audio Extreme server, MSB Reference Transport, MSB Select DAC with 33 Femto clock, 2 PSUs, powered by Torus AVR 16. Accuphase A-250 powered by Torus AVR 16, each. TAD Reference One.

Thank you Armsan 🙂

Having a storage in the server or on nas is a real question with each its + and its -. Local storage often uses solutions criticized in the DIY (ssd sata and more work and pollution for the server)
By following a financial logic, starting with a sata hard drive and then, once the internet network is optimized, moving to a nas, may be a good option for evolution.

2 hours ago, rico25 said:

Thank you Hopkins, surprising and interesting 🙂

I will try to find comparative tests to get an idea

You will only find feedback on their latest products on this forum. If you are in Paris, you can always contact me (after the confinement!) if you are curious to hear how they sound.