IGNORED

Article: Review | Schiit’s latest Yggdrasil Incarnation

Thanks George. I hear the same things. I had the Analog 2 board for quite awhile before adding the Unison USB. The Unison just adds more of what the new board added, deeper bass, depth both front to back and left to right, a fuller richer sound and a lower noise floor. The Unison sounds superior to spdif to me. I have not used AES here but will check it out with the new Transport as it will act as an Eitr, usb in and AES out. Mike claims that Unison even beats the AES input. Will be interesting to see. Thanks again for the review.

Well I have the modded Yggy A2 with the Unison USB.....however I so wanted to get my Yggy up and running since I shipped it to Valencia to be modified, that I just re hooked up my USB to AES Bridge Audiobyte Hydra Z, that I have not even tried the USB cause the AES sounds so good.   The digital signal comes from my MAC Mini that I run on 12VDC and then send to my Audiobyte that I also run on 5VDC (Multi-outputs LPS from HD-Plex) ...but I really wish I had that lovely black case as my Yggy is the only component that is dressed in Aluminum Silver. ... 

I also agree with Geo that the labeling on the Yggy SUCKS ....what wrong with actual words????   I was thinking about getting custom made labels just so I could read without trying to decipher the hieroglyphics!!!!!!!!!!

George, thank you for the great review.  Makes me wish I could hear one.

I can't resist noting that is a pretty fancy USB cable for a cable non-believer :)

Bill

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

The question I had after reading about the somewhat picky-ness of the Unison USB to work with specific Mac and Windows OSes whether or not there would be issues with my SoTM SMS200 Ultra's USB output. It never occurred to me that the Unison USB input would require specific operating systems.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Analog: Rega P8 > Ortofon Cadenza Black > Bob's Devices 20:1 SUT > EAR 834P Deluxe MM/MC tube phono stage

Digital: Shanling ET-3 CD Transport. Streaming via SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo w/ SPS500 power supply > Chord Hugo TT2

Sound: PS Audio PowerPlant3 >  Naim Supernait3 > Harbeth P3ESR

3 hours ago, creativepart said:

The question I had after reading about the somewhat picky-ness of the Unison USB to work with specific Mac and Windows OSes whether or not there would be issues with my SoTM SMS200 Ultra's USB output. It never occurred to me that the Unison USB input would require specific operating systems.

Anyone know the answer to this?

I have a Yggdrasil Analog 2 with Unison USB, as well as a SoTM SMS-200ultra Neo, and previously had the non-Neo version as well with Unison, and both worked perfectly with no issues.

6 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

The labeling is a non issue for me. The button on the left changes polarity. The button in the middle toggles between inputs. If the Yggy senses a signal on any input you know. Seems easy to me and keeps down the cost.

Well, no it doesn’t cut down on cost. The inputs ARE labeled and labels, big or small wouldn’t affect costs one way or another. These labels are just so tiny (not to mention cryptic) that they can’t even be seen, much less read from across the room.

George

50 minutes ago, rlow said:

I have a Yggdrasil Analog 2 with Unison USB, as well as a SoTM SMS-200ultra Neo, and previously had the non-Neo version as well with Unison, and both worked perfectly with no issues.

It’s the OS version, not the hardware. If your Windows machine runs Win10, Unison USB will work fine. I have a Toshiba Celeron based laptop from about 2010. With Win7. The new Yiggy USB won’t work and no driver download would make it work. But when I recently upgraded it to Win10, Slow as that computer now is, the Yiggy now works fine with it.

George

39 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Well, I didn’t buy it, if that’s what you’re getting at 🥴. It belongs to a friend who hasn’t retrieved it. It was in my personal (older) Yggy setup, so I simply swapped the already connected cables from my Yggy to the review sample. Difference between my own “printer cable” quality USB cable and the AQ Diamond? None that I can detect.

But if you wish you could hear one of the “B” S# Yggdrasils, stay tuned. I have a DAC in-house now that is not only significantly cheaper than the Yggy but blows it and literally every other DAC under $20,000 that I’ve ever encountered clear out of the water! Review coming soon!

For reference, what is the best DAC you ever heard? 

2 hours ago, Rexp said:

Cool, hopefully it has some ground breaking tech behind it. 

Why?  I think if the cost is relatively low (as mentioned) it most likely better implementation of current tech.  But then I am not in Marketing so what do I know...

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

12 hours ago, gmgraves said:

But if you wish you could hear one of the “B” S# Yggdrasils, stay tuned. I have a DAC in-house now that is not only significantly cheaper than the Yggy but blows it and literally every other DAC under $20,000 that I’ve ever encountered clear out of the water! Review coming soon!

Couldn't resist the opportunity to tease. :)

And great!  Look forward to your next review!

Bill

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

Lots of useful information in a compact review.  Thanks, too for the music recommendation.  The piano sounds very natural and unforced.  And I enjoy Debussy.  Very nice!  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man