IGNORED

Need DAC/Amp recommendations

Ed Rogers

Question

I've made things complicated by wanting too much  😄  A good hp amp that also has a DAC with balanced and unbalanced outs. Schiit Jutenheim and Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus both have what I need but I read pretty scary SQ reviews about the Cambridge and the Jutenheim apparently sounds good but so many QC issues with Schiit... and the Jutenheim tends to run hot enough that you should turn it off as soon as you're done using it. And powering back on takes 10-15 seconds? 

Is there anything else in the $600 or less price range? Should I just give up on the idea of getting everything I want in one box?

17 answers to this question

Granted I read many, probably too many, reviews about any device that came close to meeting my needs but I found about a dozen comments from people about QC issues. In most cases Schiit quickly replaced or refunded. Unless there's an abundance of complaints I'd be inclined to ignore it but there were a lot of complaints.

In one fairly in-depth review (Zeos) a comment about heat caught my attention. I live in California where we're a little paranoid about fires these days. 

Another caveat- some of the complaints were on Reddit-- where people go to wallow in negativity 😄 

Thanks for the links and suggestions. I got really excited when I saw the Pro iDSD because it does everything and more but the price is over $2k so no go :( 

Nad is close but I think it's got some stuff I don't need and missing the outputs I hope for.

Yeah, the balanced outs are the problem. Looks like I'm going to go with a headphone amp and a separate DAC most likely. Or the Jutenheim or Cambridge DAC Magic. Or or or

What QC issues with Schiit products? I have owned all their DACs Amps Headphone amps etc since they started and NEVER had a problem, and their support is excellent. Currently have one year old Yggdrasil GS and one year old Ragnarok (just the amp) and they are perfect but above your pay limits. I run TIDAL Qobuz ROON and Audirvana +3.5 plus a Yamaha dvd dvd-a cd sacd changer and Harman/Kardon HDCD changer through them plus a Meridian Explorer 2 and they work and sound as good as any I have owned plus most of them are made with USA innerds/outer skin and and assembled in USA. You must have read some troll blogs.

11 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

What QC issues with Schiit products? I have owned all their DACs Amps Headphone amps etc since they started and NEVER had a problem, and their support is excellent. Currently have one year old Yggdrasil GS and one year old Ragnarok (just the amp) and they are perfect but above your pay limits. I run TIDAL Qobuz ROON and Audirvana +3.5 plus a Yamaha dvd dvd-a cd sacd changer and Harman/Kardon HDCD changer through them plus a Meridian Explorer 2 and they work and sound as good as any I have owned plus most of them are made with USA innerds/outer skin and and assembled in USA. You must have read some troll blogs.

Same, I am not only happy with my Schiit equipment, but incredibly impressed with the performance and value of them as well.

No electron left behind.

It's been a while since I dug around the internet researching this stuff but there were several instances of QC issues. Mind you, I was reading reviews from numerous sources like established review sites, experts, joe average, forums, etc. so as to learn the most I could quickly. Zeos reviews too- he packs so many tiny factoids and opinions into every review they are a great learning tool. In one of his reviews he commented on how hot one of the Schitt devices (I forget which model) was in the time he tested it. I read that when California was on fire and since I live in California that was enough to sway me. Probably overreacting but those were some seriously scary times out here.

7 hours ago, Ed Rogers said:

It's been a while since I dug around the internet researching this stuff but there were several instances of QC issues. Mind you, I was reading reviews from numerous sources like established review sites, experts, joe average, forums, etc. so as to learn the most I could quickly. Zeos reviews too- he packs so many tiny factoids and opinions into every review they are a great learning tool. In one of his reviews he commented on how hot one of the Schitt devices (I forget which model) was in the time he tested it. I read that when California was on fire and since I live in California that was enough to sway me. Probably overreacting but those were some seriously scary times out here.

If your on a budget, Schitt is a good place to start. But before buying an amplifier you ought to decide on speakers first, then buy an amp that will

work well with the speakers impedance curve, efficiency and damping factor needs. Look for reviews on your speaker to get that information and

any suggested amplifier pairing needs.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

$600 is a challenging budget to get a all-in-one integrated that's good. The Chinese shovelware (ie, Topping) I would avoid. From China, Gustard has a few units but those I think start at $800 or so...I think Audio-GD has some interesting options:

http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R11/R2R11EN.htm

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/N11.28PE/NFB1128PEN.htm

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/N11P/NFB1138PEN.htm

Matrix all-in-one units can be very nice-sounding as amps, although don't expect much from the built in DAC options:

https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/312.html

You might find a used Questyle i400 in that price range -- current-mode amplifier, matches extremely well with Fostex biocellular driver headphones.