IGNORED

Network Playback, Buffers, Continuous Stream, etc...

Hi Guys, I've been thinking about the conversations about network buffers and some peoples' experiences and beliefs with respect to how network playback works. There's not a single "this is how it works" statement to be made, but I think a good discussion could pull out some details that may educate people. 

Let's start by looking at this screenshot below. I'm playing a 24/192 album from my CAPS Twenty Windows 10 PC, with a 10 Gbps network card, acting as the Roon core, connected to a 10 Gbps switch, connected to a Sonore opticalRendu as the Roon endpoint (connected to the same switch). You can see Roon at the bottom of the screen and the network stats at the top. I've marked the areas on the graph where there's transition from one track to another. 

Many people assume that tracks are sent to the audio endpoint at full speed, then network activity stops until the next track needs to be played. Based on this screenshot, it appears that audio is sent continuously to the endpoint and only stops when transitioning from one track to the next. 

I will do the same thing for DLNA and use the exact same hardware.

buffer.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Here is the exact same graph streaming from JRiver Media Center via DLNA to the opticalRendu. Same thing. Continuous streaming. 

Please note the scale is different because that's just what Windows does. I noted the speed in bold letters on the left. 

I do have flow control enabled on my switches but I'm not sure if this would be solely responsible for not sending the entire track in one shot. 

buffer 2.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

11 minutes ago, plissken said:

the endpoints determine the buffering

7 minutes ago, jabbr said:

This is my experience using my NAA devices whether they are the Clearfog (1Gbe) or "PC" (10Gbe)

These two statements are incongruous. 

Im not out to prove anything but I’d like to figure out more how and why stuff. 

3 minutes ago, plissken said:

No it's not incongruous. Endpoint equals hardware + software.

Can you be more specific than, “I always use a PC?” If endpoint is hardware, software, firmware, etc... what do you always use?

I don’t believe the endpoint determines much. If I disable flow control I can overwhelm many endpoints. Roon Server determines its flow, not the endpoint. 

8 minutes ago, plissken said:

I just want to add some color, from my posting history, about this statement. I've always spoken about what I consider the best approach for me and under what circumstances. I've never made any statements about any scenarios, software+endpoint hardware that I haven't thrown under the microscope. I know how to pick the hills I'm willing to die on ;-)

That is JRiver and Tidal will buffer up entire tracks as quick as wire speed allows. I've even made the point that using Roon as a front end for Tidal breaks this buffering model.

I totally hear you on this. I think the topic is really interesting because many people think they know how this works, but they've only read post on forums, that suggest one way or another. I'm not pointing any fingers at you. In fact, i'd love your continued help and input. The fact that you have a method that works in the opposite way as what I've tested is great. I'm going to run tests on my similar setup this afternoon and post the results. 

My goal is to get more information in peoples' hands. I think this thread so far has started on the right path to do this. 

Here is my test with JRiver running on CAPS Twenty, sending to JRiver running on CAPS Twenty.One. The behavior, without changing any "major" settings, is to send the whole audio file to the endpoint at the start of the track and then rest. I can't see the sending rate because Windows sets the scale automatically too low. 

@plissken Do you know how to manually change the Windows network activity monitor scale? When using JRiver it is way to small, with the maximum being either 1 Mbps or 11 Mbps.

JRiver Buffer 1.jpg

JRiver buffer 2.jpg

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

They probably made some contract about use of the tech before Google shot down it's Chromecast Audio.

Let's see if it is still around after 5 - 10 years.

Google owns a 41% stake in StreamUnlimited, the company supplying the cards used by the companies offering Google Cast support. 

35 minutes ago, Miska said:

If they are so interested on this stuff, they could as well fix the protocol for gapless playback then? They could probably do it without too much trouble?

Or maybe it is very little of interest for them, with main interest being in video playback? And game streaming from the cloud, for which they are selling package of game controller and Chromecast Ultra.

I don’t think there is any interest in gapless from Google, or HiFi for that matter. StreamUnlimited has IP that’s cheaper and quicker to purchase than create itself, so Google just wrote a check. 

• 1 month later...