IGNORED

Network Playback, Buffers, Continuous Stream, etc...

If the measured peaks are 20MBs for Roon and 10MBs for Jriver, then why is 10GBe used? Wouldn't 100 MB/s Ethernet be fine, for playback or is there an overhead that can cause complications? 

I can understand 10Gbe for file transfers and backups, audio files can be quite large, especially DAD128 upwards. 

OT : To stream 4k video from a PC to a TV (miracast), using PowerDVD20, the peaks are 25MB/s every ~ 1-3 s intervals over the run of the movie. Using 1Gb Ethernet cards, there's no droputs, works fine for hours.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

21 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Because the motherboard in the CAPS server came with a 10 Gbps card. 

Fair enough!

In playing various sample rates from a Roon core to PC-> USB DAC, here are the transmission speeds shown by Task Manager. Like @ericuco, there's a large spike at the start of the play, shoots to well over 50Mbps (briefly) or when the sample rate changes higher, but when a lower sample rate track is played while a higher one is played, there's no spike.

DSD transmissions are less peaky than PCM which can vary by 1Mbps.

Format Sample rate Mbps
DSD 256 24.4
DSD 128 12.3
DSD 64 6.3
PCM 192 10.3
PCM 96 5.4
PCM 48 2.8
PCM 44.1 1.8

I don't have any DSD512, so presume, these would be 48 Mbps. 

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

For those with spikes during playback, does the entire track get sent, thus enabling the cable to be pulled (if you actually wanted)?

I see this method now and again, but hesitate, since Windows has files open on other drives, interrupting that process is a bit of work to fix, so rather not yank the plug out. 

1 hour ago, plissken said:

This is application and build specific. The beauty behind a software only player like JRiver is that Jim and Co. are afforded the creative freedom that abstracting their software provides.

I can literally que up and entire album over 10GB in a few seconds and then I'm done with the network connection. The overhead is in me building a system that is silent and has 8GB of RAM that 1GB can be set aside for buffering.

I see. Jriver has a buffer setting that's timed, which stops the stutter.

image.thumb.png.f8874b34ddd0aada16028a3471622f78.png

In this setting, the Memory Playback is on off or decoded to Memory. I can't see where it's possible to allocate 12.5% of RAM for this purpose, where is? Audirvana has a slider to allocate RAM for buffering, however the implementation often fails when switching to a different track and heaven help if it's a different sample rate. 

Roon also has the standard buffer like Jriver of a timed variety with 2 x available.

image.png.14a7fcb995c84e1df9d7b640aab03e16.png