IGNORED

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Looks like Allan slipped into a quote within a quote problem.

On 10/24/2020 at 3:44 PM, 57gold said:

a group of kind of stodgy white guys (many of them English, which may be the stodgiest version of white guys) and jams with what are generally believed to be "guitarisms": pull offs, octave bends (stretching one string up a couple of steps to meet the note of the higher string that is held, which gets that kind of screeching sound)

I'm indifferent to someone telling me what I already know about bends, riffs and Prince. But the bit about "stodgy white guys (many of them English, which may be the stodgiest version of white guys)" is - obviously tho' - "COMPLETE AND TOTAL UNMITIGATED CRAP!"

:-)

58 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Prince dramatically changes the vibe.  Can't see that?

Already saw it

58 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Also will note the earlier praise of the stodgy white guy authored melodic lead and breaks, originally performed by EC and covered by a guy who I'm guessing is English versus the streams of classic rock, energetic wankery played by Prince. All good if one likes show over substance.  

Was underscoring the stylistic juxtaposition in the performance with some hyperbole. 

Got it

59 minutes ago, 57gold said:

I keep forgetting it's a woke world of hypersensitive folks who see incorrectness in every corner.  Must be hard. 

Honestly it was nothing but a trans-Atlantic joke in the wake of Allan F's Hopkins faux pas (and shouty disapproval of your commentary). Nothing more. If I were stodgy (and English) I might have taken it personally. But actually I'm pretty slim and gorgeous (and more than half Irish). So no harm done.

1 hour ago, 57gold said:

Posted by a stodgy white guy, who grew up in what some might call the USA's stodgiest state, CT. 

Greetings and much AS love x

9 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Just to be clear, stodgy is an adjective that does not imply overweight nor stocky, only staid, conservative, maybe dull...so no intent to implicate the chubby.   Glad you have a strong self image...wish I was gorgeous.

No English in my personal background, unless it came from the Norman and subsequent conquests of Ireland.  My children have significant English ancestry from their mother's side, descendants of the English Puritan settlers of New England, a stodgy and intolerant group of folks by today's standards responsible for the historical character of CT.

I like that kind of education. Thank you

I like the bit at 4:43 where Tom Petty pretends Prince’s antics are run of the mill. I mean – that’s a thing we British do all the time. We refuse to be impressed with each other. At least publicly. So Tom Petty looks kinda “stiff upper lip” here. Is that stodgy?

I think Jeff Lynne looks stodgy in this clip. He’s from Birmingham by the way.

I don’t think Dhani looks stodgy. He’s enjoying himself. He doesn’t hide that he’s happy his buddy Prince is gonna do a great turn.

P.S. Anybody know where I can get “Ankle Deep” on CD without it blowing the baffles off of my speakers?

7 hours ago, Iving said:

I like the bit at 4:43 where Tom Petty pretends Prince’s antics are run of the mill.

Talking of Tom Petty’s responsivity to other players taking the lead on stage … I remember Bobfest 30th Anniv. 1992 as it happened. My memory is a a little hazy for those years for one reason and another! What I do know is that I had a VHS recording of the concert. Maybe I recorded it as it happened off TV. But I definitely had a VHS recording of the actual concert. And I played it to death. My Back Pages was a huge highlight. I was so disappointed when they issued the audio and video retail – because Bob Dylan’s verse [“In a soldier's stance, I aimed my hand at the mongrel dogs who teach …”] had been dubbed over! I had bought the double LP and refused to listen to it. I hated it. [Now I think about it - it was a digits thing too - sounded dreadful on the Linn Sondek I had then.] On another thread recently we’ve been talking about relationship  of accuracy and convincing. Well in my books only the original Bob vocal was convincing! I hated that he sold out and replaced what was perfectly OK.

The Bobfest My Back Pages performance still gives me goosebumps. Two things if I may. On My Back Pages see how generous Tom Petty is towards other players. I love how he is when Neil Young solos at 4:15. But the main thing is – I’ve always rated Eric’s solo in My Back Pages [starts 1:51] as a "Top 5". Against Prince’s in Gently Weeps - which must be 3 minutes or something - it’s only 30 secs. Must be a "less is more" thing. I think the guy doing the MC turn is George (G.E.) Smith. You can just catch him beaming his f*cking head off when Eric starts to solo. Steve Cropper is there too. You can see George Harrison the unassuming genius [bow tie!] behaving himself throughout [stodgy?] My Back Pages much, much more a moment in history than Gently Weeps - which is exciting – but nada on the goosebumps monitor.

I’m probably telling you what you already know. Or disagree with somehow! Doesn’t matter. We’re all friends here, right 😊.

I could have spent longer trying to find the original broadcast. I’m pretty sure that this one I’m posting has the Bob overdubbed vocal. Never mind.

3 hours ago, 57gold said:

EC's solo break on the Bob tune is simple playing off a C major scale, the key of the tune...simple isn't bad.  Neil's was more original and raw, like Neil.

I guess my pov is that beauty is the Holy Grail in music, and that technics can only go so far in accounting for it. 

Also I hope to notice the beauty in people. I know what you mean about Neil. I'm a huge fan. Esp. when he's with Crazy Horse.