IGNORED

Keith Jarrett Confronts a Future Without the Piano

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

A similar thing happened to Oscar Peterson and he had to retrain himself to play the piano again. He did and beautifully. Hopefully KJ can as well.

Peterson didn’t play a club for 4 1/2 years, and he never regained full facility in his left hand (the stroke caused left hemiplegia).  Sadly, a lot of musicians and other artists have suffered similarly.  

Pat Martino developed total amnesia along with a host of other problems when he bled into his brain.  Miraculously, he relearned his knowledge and skills even after major brain surgery and seriously debilitating treatments.  Jimmy Bruno was in a coma for weeks after falling.  I don’t know why he fell, but many serious falls in our age group are caused by cardiac or neurologic events.  He was then in rehab for many weeks, but he also got his chops back.

Growing older is a mixed blessing........

3 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

Yes it is, indeed, but it beats the alternative.

I just laid up a few bottles of a wine that starts drinking well in 20 years.  The snide comments from friends and family have been amusing, e.g.  "Your aide can remove the cork", "The nurse can use it to clean your bed sores", and "It'll keep the feeding tube from clogging".

Fortunately, I'm impervious to insult.  I bought it to enjoy at my 94th birthday party!

35 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Jerry Garcia re-learned how to play guitar after coma and was performing for almost ten years after that.  

As I recall, he was a diabetic and spent a few days in what I suspect was a hypoglycemic coma.  He did lose some mental acuity but apparently recovered most or all of it in rehab.  He truly dodged a bullet.