IGNORED

Article: Making Memories In Santa Monica

10 minutes ago, PYP said:

Thanks for sharing the experience, Chris.  Actually, I'd be curious about the total cost (ballpark).  Glad they used the speakers in your preferred color.  THAT, is customer service.  :)    

Do you listen that loud at home?  If so, maybe your wife could talk with my wife...  

My guess, without looking everything up, is that the system is probably around $900,000.

I don't listen that loud at home. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

20 minutes ago, Middy said:

You're a lucky boy doing what you love Chris. Surreptitiously enjoying such wonders through your eyes. I could do a Van Gogh and post my ears on your next trip... 

Videos of super systems playing seem more popular now, maybe next time take your recorder... video or sound..

Dave

I hear you about videos, but that would be like taking a Polaroid of a 3D IMAX film :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Interesting how there's the concept that it's impossible to capture how well a rig is working - what happens with a "low resolution" capture is that the misdemeanours of the playback are quite easily picked up, and come through loud and clear on even something like a YouTube clip. It's the absence of any anomalies in clip playback, that one is unable to detect any giveaways that the SQ is not optimum that tell the story - not, that suddenly say your laptop speakers sound, absolutely fabulous, 😉.

I don't want to go off into the weeds, but there's no way to know if the bad sound quality is from the terrible A to D converter in the phone doing the recording or the terrible codec used by YouTube etc... 

3 minutes ago, photonman said:

That sounds like an awesome experience.  I love those times when you are so into moment that nothing else matters, not even food.  Those Van Halen and Van Hagar days were epic!  The Eddie and Alex Van Halen lead guitar and drum sound was so energetic and bold as well as those falsetto background vocals like in Jamie's Crying.  I am inspired to blast some VH this weekend while my wife is out of house but on a system that pales in comparison.

Michael Anthony’s backing vocals are fantastic!

33 minutes ago, PorkChop said:

@The Computer Audiophile [knowing snicker] "I'll Wait" was a recent audio re-awakening for me too. I never thought much of that track until it came on in my newly installed, somewhat high-end car audio system. The sound of AVH's Ludwigs are just incredible against that super fat droning keyboard.

Completely!

1 minute ago, coot said:

The lighting reflections make me think it's a hard (therefore sound reflective) surface. Don't see how that can diffuse sound, but rather reflect it. Whatever, apparently the music was great regardless.

Diffusion is more about shape and science (as you know). Absorption is much more about materials than diffusion. 

9 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Just found a testing website, for smartphones - these devices are getting better, and more careful evaluation shows that the better units do a decent job, https://www.dxomark.com/xiaomi-mi-10-pro-audio-review/

When considering the best audio systems in the world, I don’t think “a decent job” will do. 

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Again, we're not using the recording to determine how excellent the playback is, as in that somehow the quality of the experience can be be conveyed via the smartphone, video clip route. Rather, it has sufficient quality to pick up the faults of the playback; it's trivially easy to find YouTube videos recorded on someone's phone of very expensive rigs making a complete mess of some recording - when the playback of a 'difficult' track comes across with its integrity intact, in a casual recording, then it's a good sign that the system is working well.

This is faulty logic. 

You also can’t tell the impact of the largest part of the system, the room.