IGNORED

Initio 3 PSU. Simple and effective upgrade

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I received my Initio 3 about 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately I also made some significant changes in my audio chain around the same time so it's hard to attribute specific differences. However, before the changes I did experience the Initio 3 for a brief while as it was burning in.  For me, it's a great compliment to a product to say that nothing was added or taken away.  My noise floor was very low to start with but the Initio 3 did clean up the signal somewhat (so I guess something was taken away).  No coloration was added; the sound stage seemed a bit deeper.  But this is also when I added in a Chord DAVE, eliminated my HMS, my OPTO DX and began remastering my library using PGGB. I suppose at some point I could power my JCAT USB and NET XE cards off the system board and make subjective observations.  It's an attractive bit of kit for sure. The warm orange glow of the front LED is nice. The footprint is nice, the cables are sturdy and the Neutrik connectors securely snap into place as do the DC connectors on the two JCAT cards.  In the end I like the fact the the PCIe cards are externally powered with a PSU in the same product family. I do not regret my purchase.

Cable Modem Router ---> Blue Jeans Cable (BJC) Cat 6a Patch Cord ---> Uptone AUDIO EtherREGEN 'A' Side <--- BJC Cat 6a <---QNAP TS-453 Pro - 'B' Side ---> Moon Audio Silver Dragon Network Cable ---> DIY Fanless HTPC with SOtM SATA 3 Filters and SOtM TX-USBexp ---> Silver Dragon USB Cable ---> Uptone Audio ISO REGEN (PSU: UltraCAP LPS-1.2 w/ Ghent GAC4 Gotham GAC-4/Star Quad DC Cable ---> Chord Hugo M Scaler ---> Moon Audio Silver Dragon Coax Digital Cable (Dual BNC) ---> Audiowise OPTO-DX Receiver (SMPS) ---> Optical Cables (Stock) ---> Audiowise OPTO-RX Receiver (PS: UltraCAP LPS-1.2 w/ Ghent GAC4 Gotham GAC-4/Star Quad DC Cable) ---> Silver Dragon Coax Digital Cable (Dual BNC) ---> Chord Hugo TT2 (DAC mode) ---> Morrow Audio MA3 Interconnect (XLR) ---> Hegel P20 preamp ---> Morrow Audio MA3 Interconnect (XLR) ---> Hegel H20 amp ---> Morrow Audio SP4 Speaker Cable Pair Bi-wired ---> KEF Reference 1 speakers.  Audeze LCD-MX4 and Focal Utopia headphones powered with Chord Hugo TT 2

9 hours ago, NWLanding said:

I received my Initio 3 about 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately I also made some significant changes in my audio chain around the same time so it's hard to attribute specific differences. However, before the changes I did experience the Initio 3 for a brief while as it was burning in.  For me, it's a great compliment to a product to say that nothing was added or taken away.  My noise floor was very low to start with but the Initio 3 did clean up the signal somewhat (so I guess something was taken away).  No coloration was added; the sound stage seemed a bit deeper.  But this is also when I added in a Chord DAVE, eliminated my HMS, my OPTO DX and began remastering my library using PGGB. I suppose at some point I could power my JCAT USB and NET XE cards off the system board and make subjective observations.  It's an attractive bit of kit for sure. The warm orange glow of the front LED is nice. The footprint is nice, the cables are sturdy and the Neutrik connectors securely snap into place as do the DC connectors on the two JCAT cards.  In the end I like the fact the the PCIe cards are externally powered with a PSU in the same product family. I do not regret my purchase.

Thank you for the review :)

Best regards,
Marcin 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...