Jump to content
IGNORED

Bit-Perfect UPnP/DLNA Renderer


Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone,

I have spent quite a lot of time reading online but can't seem to be able to find exactly what I am looking for.

I want to be able to stream wirelessly from my laptop to a UPnP/DLNA Renderer, which in its turn should output digitally (Optical/Coax) to my DAC. I want the renderer to be able to pass-through bit-perfect 24/192 or at least 24/96 uncompressed audio. I don't need it to have a DAC, an amp or whatever.

Please, help me find this device.

Peter

PS I am currently using and old WDTV Live media player for this purpose (and it even has a shared USB HDD attached to it as a bonus) but it only supports 16/48 natively. On my laptop I have Foobar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, peter73 said:

Hi Everyone,

I have spent quite a lot of time reading online but can't seem to be able to find exactly what I am looking for.

I want to be able to stream wirelessly from my laptop to a UPnP/DLNA Renderer, which in its turn should output digitally (Optical/Coax) to my DAC. I want the renderer to be able to pass-through bit-perfect 24/192 or at least 24/96 uncompressed audio. I don't need it to have a DAC, an amp or whatever.

Please, help me find this device.

Peter

PS I am currently using and old WDTV Live media player for this purpose (and it even has a shared USB HDD attached to it as a bonus) but it only supports 16/48 natively. On my laptop I have Foobar.

You could try something like the Allo Digione player with an iFi PS, that will give you decent coax out. But if you spend over $300 you really

ought to go USB out to DAC with something like the microRendu 1.5.

 

https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione-player.html

 

https://www.sonore.us/microRendu.html

 

 

Regards,

Dave

 

Audio system

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, peter73 said:

I am currently using and old WDTV Live media player for this purpose (and it even has a shared USB HDD attached to it as a bonus) but it only supports 16/48 natively. On my laptop I have Foobar.

 

The Chromecast Audio has optical output & can be used as a hi-res (up to 24/96kHz) bit perfect UPnP/DLNA renderer if you install the BubbleUPnP Server helper application on your laptop & configure it to create a DLNA renderer for the CCA:

https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/docs/config_media_renderers.html

spacer.png

 

Use & configure the foo_out_upnp plugin in foobar2000 to get the Chromecast Audio to access foobar2000's bit perfect audio output as a continuous FLAC stream via UPnP. Has the added benefit of providing a workaround for the CCA's lack of gapless playback support.

 

If you are UK based, refurbished Chromecast Audios are currently available from mymemory for £27.99 including delivery (required toslink to mini toslink 3.5mm optical cable not included):

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/google-chromecast-audio-refurbished-ffp.html

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

 

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cebolla said:

 

The Chromecast Audio has optical output & can be used as a hi-res (up to 24/96kHz) bit perfect UPnP/DLNA renderer if you install the BubbleUPnP Server helper application on your laptop & configure it to create a DLNA renderer for the CCA:

https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/docs/config_media_renderers.html

spacer.png

 

Use & configure the foo_out_upnp plugin in foobar2000 to get the Chromecast Audio to access foobar2000's bit perfect audio output as a continuous FLAC stream via UPnP. Has the added benefit of providing a workaround for the CCA's lack of gapless playback support.

 

If you are UK based, refurbished Chromecast Audios are currently available from mymemory for £27.99 including delivery (required toslink to mini toslink 3.5mm optical cable not included):

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/google-chromecast-audio-refurbished-ffp.html

PERFECT! Looks to be exactly that i am looking for! THANK YOU.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You didn’t say budget. But if it is on the lower side, the bluesound mode 2i may be better quality than a chromecast puck using the CCA toslink.  You could link the node to your dac via coax link. It has its own app BluOs to control it.  Plus it’s on sale until end of month at 449USD. Free shipping and 30 day trial. MANY have suggested its streamer function is not significantly inferior than some streamers costing significantly more in the thousands. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawrenceT said:

You didn’t say budget. But if it is on the lower side, the bluesound mode 2i may be better quality than a chromecast puck using the CCA toslink.  You could link the node to your dac via coax link. It has its own app BluOs to control it.  Plus it’s on sale until end of month at 449USD. Free shipping and 30 day trial. MANY have suggested its streamer function is not significantly inferior than some streamers costing significantly more in the thousands. 

Yes, I din't say budget because I had no idea what a device that does what I want costs. Now that @Cebollatold me about the Chromecast Audio and after I have read some reviews confirming that it is indeed bit-perfect through its optical out, I see no reason whatsoever to pay more than what the chromecast costs, let alone hundreds and thousands :-) Also, as I said, I don't need a streemer - just a digital transport/renderer to make my Benchmark DAC/power amp and speakers available on my home network.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, peter73 said:

Chromecast Audio and after I have read some reviews confirming that it is indeed bit-perfect through its optical out, I see no reason whatsoever to pay more

One issue with chromecast audio is doesn’t support gapless playback 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Use & configure the foo_out_upnp plugin in foobar2000 to get the Chromecast Audio to access foobar2000's bit perfect audio output as a continuous FLAC stream via UPnP. Has the added benefit of providing a workaround for the CCA's lack of gapless playback support.

 

1 hour ago, LawrenceT said:

One issue with chromecast audio is doesn’t support gapless playback.

 

As I already mentioned in my last post, given that the OP is already using the foobar2000 player software on the laptop, which does support gapless playback, the foo_out_upnp plugin bit perfectly provides foobar2000's (gapless support already taken care of) audio output as a continuous network audio stream via UPnP, ie, not the individual audio file tracks in foobar2000"s playlist..

So lack of gapless playback support of the connected UPnP/DLNA renderer is irrelevant as it won't be receiving the individual audio file tracks.

 

BTW, Bluesound's devices use a private proprietary mechanism for network streaming and don't support industry standard UPnP/DLNA streaming - so cannot be used as UPnP/DLNA renderers (the title of this thread).

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

 

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, peter73 said:

PERFECT! Looks to be exactly that i am looking for! THANK YOU.

 

No worries - let us know how you get on.

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

 

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peter73 said:

It seems to have been discontinued but I am watching each and every CCA currently available on ebay :-)

I see a number on eBay and here is one on canuckaudiomart

 

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649659203-chromecast-audio/

 

Alternatively, have you considered a USB>SPDIF converter (dongle or box).  I am using a used Schiit EITR (USB>SPDIF (coax-RCA) converter; ~115 USD) to stream USB-c from my MacBook Pro into my DAC with coax (no USB input available).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LawrenceT said:

..., have you considered a USB>SPDIF converter (dongle or box).  I am using a used Schiit EITR (USB>SPDIF (coax-RCA) converter; ~115 USD) to stream USB-c from my MacBook Pro into my DAC with coax (no USB input available).  

That is what I have been using for years (Musical Fidelity V-Link) but I decided to go wireless.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...