IGNORED

Good 2nd hand opportunities which one I choose?

Last days and by complete co-incidence a few people in my area are selling their DACs so good opportunity to get a new DAC. I currently use an Allo Revolution with my USBridge. 

on the one hand there’s a very cheap Soncoz SGD-1, just getting a rave review in Soundnews. There’s also a Topping D90, obviously more expensive but still a good opportunity at a great discount compared to the new price. 

And than there’s a Chord Hugo 2. The person obviously asks more, but the discount from the new price is huge. While new I cannot afford it, I can stretch for the used one. 

happy to get opinions and advice....

I had the Chord Qutest which is the same FPGA used in the Hugo's but the Hugo version has more Taps I believe.  The Chord equipment has a very unique aesthetic and is built really well with quality materials and excellent fit and finishes.  I had the QuteHD, 2Qute and finally the Qutest and I will say I do regret selling my Qutest as I do like the Chord sound as it was very detailed and sterile as some might say but I liked it.  The adjustable voltage was great for direct to amp matching.  My 2 cents.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

11 hours ago, photonman said:

I had the Chord Qutest which is the same FPGA used in the Hugo's but the Hugo version has more Taps I believe.  The Chord equipment has a very unique aesthetic and is built really well with quality materials and excellent fit and finishes.  I had the QuteHD, 2Qute and finally the Qutest and I will say I do regret selling my Qutest as I do like the Chord sound as it was very detailed and sterile as some might say but I liked it.  The adjustable voltage was great for direct to amp matching.  My 2 cents.

Yes also tempted by the Chord. It is less than half the price of the new one, but still a lot of money.....

Recently I have rediscovered my Chord Mojo as an amazing DAC and not only in a portable use. Excellent timing, holographic, lifelike, sparkling, open ... shows already what I believe to be that special Chord DAC magic. I use it now with Sonores OpticalModule and OpticalRendu. The most stunning experience was when feeding it from HQPlayer with redbook CD upsampled to PCM or DSD with the highest multiple of 2 rates my MacBook/iMac can handle. From there I do think that Hugo 2 would be a great choice.

Apple Powerbook G4 15\", iTunes, Metric Halo LIO-8, active speakers