IGNORED

Help me deciding on a new headphone

Hi there,

I need a new pair of headphones. I spotted three, and I can't decide which one should I go with.

First, let me say I tried the Sony WH-1000XM4 and I wasn't impressed considering the price tag. I also struggled with the Bluetooth connection but I guess that will never click for me.

So, I'm now leaning towards a wired solution, old-fashion but reliable.
What I need the headphone for? Mostly video editing and then just enjoying films, plus a good companion for whenever I'll go back to traveling.

Here's what I'm considering:

• Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
  • AKG K 701
  • Sennheiser Momentum 2.0

The Senn are wireless so I feel a little uncomfortable there. Other than that, it's really a matter of which can deliver the best sound.

I understand "best sound" can also be subjective. To me, it's a matter of good, clear sound, well balanced. I tend to listen to Jazz and Classical music, though for my work I edit sounds FX, and electronic.

I hope there's enough detail for someone to put me on the right track.

Thanks for any info!

47 minutes ago, verysame said:

I'll be using them mainly with my PC/laptop and sometimes with my Samsung phone.

That's what I thought, you're going to need a headphone that is very easy to drive. I don't know about that exact AKG model, but I know some of them are notoriously hard to drive and require a serious amp.

48 minutes ago, verysame said:

You're saying Grado so nothing among the headphones I spotted?

Yes. I don't know how those models sound, but I know how nearly every model of Grado headphones in that price range sounds and its absolutely fantastic. They get better at each step up as well. I have a pair of RS1e here that I have had for YEARS and I still love listening to them. They are also easy to drive for your phone or laptop headphone jack.

No electron left behind.

As I imagined, once one starts reading reviews it gets more and more confusing.

Now I've added a couple more to the list, on top of the Grado and Meze suggested here!

So now I have:

• GRADO SR125e
  • Meze 99 Neo
  • beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
  • Sony MDR7506
  • AKG K 701

Correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding Grado are not foldable (and perhaps Meze neither?)

Which is something I have to consider since, at some point, I'll take them with me when I travel.

Sony MDR7506 seems interesting, quite affordable — in fact, the cheapest of all — and apparently really good sound and also quite sturdy.

Beyer Dynamic also seems to have a great reputation.

It's getting difficult. I think in the end I'll just have to pick one.

You may want to check out the 2020 version of the Hifiman HE 400i, it is in your price range and reviewed as easy to drive.
https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he400i-2020-version.html

https://www.techwalls.com/hifiman-he-400i-planar-magnetic-headphones-review/

"Conclusion

Pros

• Great design emphasizing on comfort and light weight.
  • Affordable for planar magnetic headphones
  • Impressive lows and mids

Cons

• Suitable to use in private spaces only
  • The design is not really attractive for young audiophiles

The HiFiMan HE-400i is among the lowest-priced planar magnetic headphones on the market but it doesn’t disappoint me. I’ve used it for nearly a year and don’t have plan to upgrade anytime soon."

(Quote from the linked review)

20 hours ago, verysame said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding Grado are not foldable (and perhaps Meze neither?)

Which is something I have to consider since, at some point, I'll take them with me when I travel.

Meze 99's are not foldable.  The hard case they come with is very form-fitting and is a circle shape, which is roughly 8-9" in diameter and 3.25" thick. 

The Meze 99's are my travel headphone and they are not picky about the source.  They sound good from a phone or laptop.

I have not heard any of the other headphones you mention though.  Good luck in your search.  The more you look the more overwhelming things can become.  The one thing I have learned is, due to our differing physical ear structures and hearing sensitivities, headphones are extremely personal.  Something well reviewed may not appeal to you or vice versa.  Try before you buy if possible.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

20 hours ago, verysame said:

Also, it seems Audio-Technica ATH-M50x bass is not great, apparently they sound muddy.

Not fond of them, sound like a toy compared to Grado/Focal/Audeze headphones. Sweet spot in the Grado line is SR80, more expensive models are less forgiving of treble defects. I use closed Audeze Sine for my mobile listening but that does put you right at the edge of needing a portable headphone amp... fortunately the larger screen iPhones have a bigger battery

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 10/15/2020 at 12:01 AM, verysame said:

Hi there,

I need a new pair of headphones. I spotted three, and I can't decide which one should I go with.

First, let me say I tried the Sony WH-1000XM4 and I wasn't impressed considering the price tag. I also struggled with the Bluetooth connection but I guess that will never click for me.

So, I'm now leaning towards a wired solution, old-fashion but reliable.
What I need the headphone for? Mostly video editing and then just enjoying films, plus a good companion for whenever I'll go back to traveling.

Here's what I'm considering:

• AKG K 701

The Senn are wireless so I feel a little uncomfortable there. Other than that, it's really a matter of which can deliver the best sound.

I understand "best sound" can also be subjective. To me, it's a matter of good, clear sound, well balanced. I tend to listen to Jazz and Classical music, though for my work I edit sounds FX, and electronic.

I hope there's enough detail for someone to put me on the right track.

Thanks for any info!

The Sony's are good sounding, not great. They are really for people who want noise reduction and in that scenario the most common use is over BT, which sounds okay, not great. 

BT is much more convenient-it can be a struggle to get "pairing" the first time, but once you do, it works well. 

But you seem much more interested in SQ. Probably you should go with wired. 

You should think about if you want open or closed. Open don't shut out much outside sound, if that matters to you. People near you can also hear them. 

The Sennheisers seem to tick all your boxes and get great reviews. I haven't heard them.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 10/15/2020 at 6:09 AM, DuckToller said:

You may want to check out the 2020 version of the Hifiman HE 400i, it is in your price range and reviewed as easy to drive.
https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he400i-2020-version.html

https://www.techwalls.com/hifiman-he-400i-planar-magnetic-headphones-review/

"Conclusion

Pros

• Great design emphasizing on comfort and light weight.
  • Affordable for planar magnetic headphones
  • Impressive lows and mids

Cons

• Suitable to use in private spaces only
  • The design is not really attractive for young audiophiles

The HiFiMan HE-400i is among the lowest-priced planar magnetic headphones on the market but it doesn’t disappoint me. I’ve used it for nearly a year and don’t have plan to upgrade anytime soon."

(Quote from the linked review)

They are good value but power hungry, definitely need a separate amp.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.