IGNORED

Article: Amazon Music HD Is Still Lossy

Speaking of Chromecast, it seems the Amazon Music HD app is the only one missing from the list of apps supporting Chromecast!

Even Apple Music made it in 2020 - something I never thought I'd see !

If the desktop and iOS and Android apps eventually supports Chromecast, that should enable bit perfect playback up to 96kHz (for things like Chromecast Audio if you have one).

image.thumb.png.ad6251f44c7218d8f2a7c6dbd17ab1dd.png

image.thumb.png.a8320dee1aac8db2cfaebbbce8fc7bdc.png

32 minutes ago, Cookie Marenco said:

Blue Coast Records has recently signed a distribution deal with a very large company (to be announced soon) and in the process have uncovered some interesting processes that have not been transparent in the past.  What you suspect about the files is true....  what the labels upload to the servers for distribution is not what the digital services providers get (like Amazon, Spotify, Tidal, Apple, and also known as dsps in our legal agreements).  

We were signed because of the oncoming push for HD... specifically Amazon.  I can't mention names right now, but I can say that there are third party delivery services that take what the label uploads to the distributor and delivers to the dsps. 

Here's an example of what happens. 

We uploaded 192WAV and the dsp is selling a 9624.  Huh?  The dsp can handle 192.  They already have our directly sent files... so who sent the 9624?  And did an unapproved conversion in the middle?  Yes, our interns can hear the difference.

Whilst MQA is not the solution I wanted (and I want MQA to go away), this is a problem Bob Stuart has spoken about a lot too.

Files being fiddled with along the supply chain. Not only downsampled in as in your example, but also files being upsampled. People have caught many examples of the latter over the years.

What a disaster !

On 10/13/2020 at 5:17 PM, Daren F said:

You can create an account with a VPN but payment will fail with a Canadian credit card or paypal account.

Yes you can get Qobuz in Canada if you use a vpn to sign up. Its $14.99 US for Studio plan ($20 CAD) a month. Once you have signed up you will be able to steam without a vpn.  You can use a US Paypal account to sign up to Qobuz too. (Canadian paypal can fail). You could just assign your Canadian credit card to a US Paypal account.

I used an American Express credit card with no problem although I have a post office box with a US zip code. I just used the zip code and my credit card was fine. I don't see why you could not use any US zip code.

I hope this helps..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @The Computer Audiophile

Are you keeping your Amazon Music HD subscription going or cancelling?

Would be interesting if you could revisit every 3 or 4 months, unless someone else discovers a breakthrough in their desktop apps.

The fact that they introduced 'Exclusive Mode' earlier this year gives me hope that someone at Amazon had an idea to try and get bit perfect playback, even if it failed for now.

So I have hope they will work it out at some point in 2021.

Especially if they bump into this article of yours !

• 1 month later...

Amazon HD sounded pretty decent until the revamp around October - November 2020.

Before you could hear newer well recorded music, which played beautifully, and easily hear the difference with not so well recorded tracks and albums.

80s music was bright, as it mastered back in the day, but that's ok.

It's meant to be that way, a bit of eq, or low pass cut with APO eq made it sound how it would on CD.

But after the update within a minute you could hear the difference, it had lost it's soul and everything sounded just ok.

My best guess, it's all been upscaled to 24/96, to make all the not so good recordings sound better. But it makes all the music fatiguing.

I've just gone back to Amazon HD after a few months break, but sad to hear its still the same.

I'm sure the person who upscaled Amazon HD thinks it sounds great on his hifi at home, and their phone and echo, but on a decent system it's not nice to listen to for long.

The new interface is not an improvement either, especially after losing the on screen volume.

We can only hope Bezos asks for Amazon HD to be upgraded again for his mega system at home, which presumably also now sounds fatiguing and boring.

As for Tidal, the reviews are not good when it comes to payments.

I couldn't get logged in after paying for the cut cost trial, so they are now blocked on the credit card.

Will try Qobuz next..

• 1 month later...

nothing irritates me more than the amazon music HD app with family plan. 

i listened via a windows10 pc with a dac magic 100 connected via usb2. which was intern connected to R-41pm's and a SW-100 from klipsch. for the price it was very enjoyable. but it was just always missing something. i then tried to use HD tracks .com and musicbee. this was more enjoyable but more technical to set up. having to force your signal from the windows computer is just not believable to me. i guess it works i don't know it works. 

as it stands i want to still get into a network streamer but f*** that s***. all of the ones i have looked at from cambridge audio to NAD to marantz all seemingly ignore amazon music hd. i wonder why. 

there are so many variables in picking hifi components you can easily run into decision paralysis. 

3 minutes ago, JETHEAT said:

all of the ones i have looked at from cambridge audio to NAD to marantz all seemingly ignore amazon music hd. i wonder why. 

The deal with Amazon Music HD is not that HiFi companies are ignoring it, more like Amazon is ignoring HiFI companies. Amazon is notoriously difficult to work with and doesn't even respond to most HiFi companies attempts to communicate with Amazon. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I can also tell you from personal experience Amazon is 'cheap.' Takes hoarding money to make more money I guess...

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 hour ago, JETHEAT said:

nothing irritates me more than the amazon music HD app with family plan. 

i listened via a windows10 pc with a dac magic 100 connected via usb2. which was intern connected to R-41pm's and a SW-100 from klipsch. for the price it was very enjoyable. but it was just always missing something. i then tried to use HD tracks .com and musicbee. this was more enjoyable but more technical to set up. having to force your signal from the windows computer is just not believable to me. i guess it works i don't know it works. 

as it stands i want to still get into a network streamer but f*** that s***. all of the ones i have looked at from cambridge audio to NAD to marantz all seemingly ignore amazon music hd. i wonder why. 

there are so many variables in picking hifi components you can easily run into decision paralysis. 

NAD/Bluesound BluOs and Marantz/HEOS do support Amazon Music HD (AMHD) 

I have no experience with HEOS but I do have a Bluesound Node 2i and am able to play AMHD via the BluOs app bit perfect.

Comparing AMHD to qobuz, I agree that there seems to be something missing in terms of sound quality. Not sure why AMHD's bits sound different than qobuz's bits but, IMO, qobuz sounds better.