IGNORED

Headphone Amps: How to match your cans with different balanced outputs standards?

14 minutes ago, jp11801 said:

The future of balanced cables are coalesceing around 4pin balanced and 4.4 Pentacon. I wouldn't be surprised to see 4.4 on home amps in the future. 

I like the 4.4 Pentacon - have both that and the 4-pin XLR on my Topping A90 - they sound the same, of course, but really like the form factor of the Pentacon :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

3 hours ago, DuckToller said:

Thank you for your reply, that meets exactly the question, unfortunately without answering it ;-)
The pentacon is as well the form factor offered with the new iFi micro iDSD Signature. The 4.4mm seems to be more for iems, afaik?

How did you manage the task, I haven't seen a lot of cans with Pentacon cables as original outfit?
- You bought a fitting cable from your can manufacturer? 
- You bought a fitting cable in the aftermarket?
- You bought a balanced cable with adapter for both, 4.4mm Penatcon and 4-pin XLR?
- You bought only an adapter?

Curious, Tom

Well, I use the Pentacon cable with my Focal Elegia - definitely not an IEM ;)

I just ordered a custom cable (i.e., with Focal connectors on the headphone end and the 4.4 on the other).  I believe I used LQi Cables, but you can find LOTS of boutique cable shops online, from anywhere from around $50 to ... sky's the limit.  I wouldn't spend more than about $150 on replacement headphone cables.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system