IGNORED

Help me to understand filters

One aspect of the situation is that any circuitry in operation during actual playback has the potential to degrade SQ, because of electrical noise factors - no matter what it's doing, and whether its intention is to improve things. Causal links may not be obvious, or from casually considering it, possible - but that doesn't stop things happening, 😉. Filters are a good example - I'm thinking here of an upmarket CD player I listened to, which allowed selection of various filter types; the clear winner was setting the switch such that this bit of the digital circuitry was disabled 🙂 ... quite often, simplicity is the best path.

Which doesn't stop people loving the idea of toying with pet theories 😁 - just because something looks great on paper, if the implementation of that idea is not good enough then you're just wasting your time - and then some sort of compromise ends up being decided on, which is just making the best of a less than satisfactory situation.

I thought the problem was, "it should sound better!" 😉 - throwing in filters is like adding rubber bands to hold something together, which actually just needs to be glued properly, as far as I'm concerned. But others found that doing the filter thing made it "sound better", so it's now part of what one does  - so that the consumer can season the playback, to taste.