IGNORED

Article: McIntosh MA12000 Integrated Amp

I’d be curious to know how many audiophiles use more then 3-4 inputs.  For me, in my main system it’s one, with Roon combining my streaming service.  I’m sure some use a variety of inputs but 10 analog inputs, c’mon. I do have a friend that has a CD player, SACD player, a DAT, Reel to Reel, and 2 two turntables hooked up to a audio research pre but 99% of the time he streams from a Lumin network player. He says he keeps the other devices for show. It does look cool in his setup.  

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

It's funny, but as some of you might recall, I had the MA9000 on order and it arrived with massive damage to the frontal glass... so I took that as the universe telling me to go with my original (more expensive) plan to get separates... so I did.. then they announced this as if to test my resolve...

That said, I think for an integrated amp, it's probably one of the best out there from what I can see by the spec's... and especially if you want that tube pre-amp sound.  But for just a bit more,  I'm happier with the separates solution and the extra 100W per channel that affords me.

2 hours ago, 992Sam said:

It's funny, but as some of you might recall, I had the MA9000 on order and it arrived with massive damage to the frontal glass... so I took that as the universe telling me to go with my original (more expensive) plan to get separates... so I did.. then they announced this as if to test my resolve...

That said, I think for an integrated amp, it's probably one of the best out there from what I can see by the spec's... and especially if you want that tube pre-amp sound.  But for just a bit more,  I'm happier with the separates solution and the extra 100W per channel that affords me.

It's a sign!  DO IT!

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, ShawnC said:

I’d be curious to know how many audiophiles use more then 3-4 inputs.  For me, in my main system it’s one, with Roon combining my streaming service.  I’m sure some use a variety of inputs but 10 analog inputs, c’mon. I do have a friend that has a CD player, SACD player, a DAT, Reel to Reel, and 2 two turntables hooked up to a audio research pre but 99% of the time he streams from a Lumin network player. He says he keeps the other devices for show. It does look cool in his setup.  

A few of the inputs are redundant, the MM and MC input, and the 2 balanced inputs and 2 of the unbalanced inputs.

If I am counting right, that would mean it has 6 analog inputs if you don't count the redundant inputs.

Still, 4 more than I need and use.

No electron left behind.

It ls an interesting predicament, well kinda - the audio first world problems and all.  BUT until I get to the point where I’m tired of all the “stuff” (which I’m sure I’ll get to yrs down the road), I want big freaking mono amps, separate DAC, pre etc.. so I’ll respectfully snub my nose at the all in one Swiss Army knife integrated’s 😃🤪

Although this Mac does look pretty darn cool!👍

My rig

I don't quite get it.  I would expect an integrated to make a bit of a sound quality sacrifice in exchange for easier form factor and lower price than similar separates.  But this thing is massive and I don't see any dollar savings either (compared to Mc separates).

22 hours ago, PeterG said:

I don't quite get it.  I would expect an integrated to make a bit of a sound quality sacrifice in exchange for easier form factor and lower price than similar separates.  But this thing is massive and I don't see any dollar savings either (compared to Mc separates).

Perhaps people want the space saving and don’t want to spend more for a preamp and DAC. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 10/10/2020 at 7:51 PM, PeterG said:

As someone that owns a McIntosh Integrated (MAC7200) To me it was about convenience by not having a bunch of boxes around, although that's pretty much a moot point now with my external DAC and Phono Pre, and the built in tuner was a bonus as I didn't need to buy a separate one to listen to FM broadcasts. I had separates before this and the sound difference is negligible and you would need to listen very closely and carefully to hear it, it's basically inconsequential for me.

Mine costs half of what this one does as well. I wouldn't be surprised to find out this one sounds better in some ways than mine does, it has the same DAC module that I am not a fan of.

No electron left behind.

• 5 weeks later...

As far as price is concerned an MC462 plus a C53 is 17k. This would be a savings of 3k over that combo. I would call it even-steven. Unless you require the extra juice for your speakers this is an excellent solution. It also looks smashing with the glowing tubes in the front. In a dark room it must be dazzling!

• 2 weeks later...

Having owned McIntosh gear I can say it does sound/look great.  I did enjoy a C2500 preamp for a while, except for the DAC. The DAC portion was apparently upgradeable but now they’re onto a C2700?  Reminds me of Bryston gear is upgradeable but no one does it. As for space saving I’m not seeing that with this beast of an integrated. It’s huge.  If McIntosh were to come out with say 100w rms solid state and tube preamp section in a smaller form-not the 252 or the 352 but the 12000 form factor without the DAC or phono and only a couple inputs...brings the price down to say $7-8 grand. THAT would be tempting. 

BattleScarze,

More is only better when less is no good!

58 minutes ago, BattleScarze said:

If McIntosh were to come out with say 100w rms solid state and tube preamp section in a smaller form-not the 252 or the 352 but the 12000 form factor without the DAC or phono and only a couple inputs...brings the price down to say $7-8 grand. THAT would be tempting. 

I agree 100%

No electron left behind.

• 2 months later...

Okay, First World Problems here ... tearing my non-existent hair out between this integrated MA12000 and the C2700/MC462 separates.

Both have the tubed pre-amp and solid state amp I want. Space-saving is not an issue with me. My key factor is: the separates are $3,000 more: are they worth it over this beautiful integrated amp?

On 1/30/2021 at 5:43 PM, AThrillOfHope said:

Okay, First World Problems here ... tearing my non-existent hair out between this integrated MA12000 and the C2700/MC462 separates.

Both have the tubed pre-amp and solid state amp I want. Space-saving is not an issue with me. My key factor is: the separates are $3,000 more: are they worth it over this beautiful integrated amp?

You should listen to both setups, then decide.  If you do not have a local boutique dealer (usually your best bet), your local Best Buy probably has these in their Magnolia department.  At the risk of giving you an even larger "problem"--you might also consider a C22/MC462 combo with a separate DAC.  The separate DAC is more likely to produce a sonic difference than the integrated vs amp separates